Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    I want to visit Seattle and Vancouver later this summer if I can. I've never been there and have always wanted to go. If anyone knows anything about either city, what would you recommend? I already know about the Pike Street Market and the Space Needle in Seattle, but any cool neighborhoods to explore? Capitol Hill? Ballard? Queen Anne? And Vancouver, what about Gastown, Chinatown, or Stanley Park?
    Whatever you do, try to time your visit during the Fremont Fair (June 21-23), where they have the world's trippiest costumes outside of Burning Man. Do NOT Google for images if you have NSFW concerns.

Snowqualmie Falls has a 268-foot breathtaking waterfalls. And if you book a breakfast at the Salish Lodge & Spa, you can have a 7-course meal while watching it. I did it in 1983. It was awesome.

You can also ride up to Mt. Rainier and have a snowball fight in August, like I did with my little brother.
    hustle4alivin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    You're supposed to say whether you like or dislike these cities. Thems the rules.
    Damn right!

I hate when rules nazis don't follow rules.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think you meant "rule's".
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

jawohl, mein fuhrer!

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

And there I figured you'd done it on purpose.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

just dumb today.

^^ Re. Seattle: Capital Hill, Ballard and Queen Anne are all good places get good food and shop. My SIL lives in Capital Hill and it's always easy to walk around and find good food. Traffic in Seattle is nightmare-ish, so beware around rush hour. Pike Place market is just amazing, I wish I lived in Seattle because I would go there weekly to get flowers. Plus, once you are down around Pike Place you can always take a ferry over to Bainbridge Island. Also, check out West Seattle and Alki Beach.

I spent a year of college in Ireland and came to love some of the small towns there. They were just small and gorgeous. I really loved Salzburg and would love to be able to spend more time there. Paris is just magical. It's cliche, but I have been twice and loved it both times. I know a lady who lived there for years and she would get really tired of it, but as a tourist it is pretty great. The museums can't be beat.

Glad to hear some of you out there like Portland, OR. I love it here, rain and all
    hustle4alivin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I hate Imperial Beach, CA. Nasty beach town south of San Diego. Someone once nicknamed it "Meth lab by-the-sea" and for good reason. Peppered with bikers, druggies and their dealers, and more than one white nationalist/supremacist group. I lived there while stationed at the SEAL Base in Coronado, CA. Awful, tacky place. One of my married neighbors in my apartment complex tried to hit on me at least twice. Umhmm, HE sure did. He was married to an ex-hooker from the Philippines; I've never seen so many guys married to ex-hookers congregated in one area, other than National City, CA, which is right outside San Diego too.
    Aw! I miss SoCa (weather) but we lived at Lemon Grove *shudder* then on the outskirts of El Cajon (by the Community College), then on Broadway, nearly in the heart of downtown. I loved that apartment, we could see Coronado/bridge from the kitchen (& watch the drugs raids helo from the roof!). I wanted to live near the beach but it never happened. I love LA, the feel of it, the small of it (yeah, really) and the weather; but I got lost in Chatsworth one time and its weird. I went to a MacDonalds for a drink & to use the restroom & a couple of the guys (customers) there stared at me all the way in & all the way out.... It felt like a tiny town in that sense, rather than part of a big metropolis.
    Being a crappy map reader I got off the freeway at the wrong exit, but was still able to find my way due to mainly the "grids" of blocks. Took me ages to get home though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think if it were just my spouse and me, yes. One of our favorite vacations was on a Caribbean island where once we checked into hotel, we only hung out on the beach, which was 50 feet from our room. No TV, no phone, no makeup, no razors, no swimsuit. Paradise. But having little kids now, it's good to have a lot distractions and things to see at different hours.
    We have been camping as a family all over rural france and we used to take playing cards and books (imagine that when there was no kindles! Books for four for four-six weeks). During the day we visited Chateaux, Cathedrals, Art Galleries, etc. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    My youngest brother lives in San Diego. I am dying to visit. From what I've seen and heard, I probably wouldn't wanna leave. When my kid leaves the nest, my husband and I have jobs that easily do travelling, so we might just see where that takes us.

Oh, and I'd love to go to NYC.

Then I could think of a dozen places outside the US that I wanna see before I die.
    As I may have said before I have happy memories of an Diego, it has some great parts and some not-so-great-parts. Try to avoid divey-sailor-dives and you'll see the best of it.

I like going up into the mountain & having snow & apple pie in the morning/lunchtime & sitting on the beach at sunset. That I found totally amazing.
    Free Charmed.

Paris is the place i love,i could live there and everytime i visit feels like i am finally home.Never get tired going,never get enough.Then of course Athens.I know it enough to love it and it really has a lot to give.I am also lucky to live at the very best part of it.
    I like Barcelona,London and i love Florence.In the US i really love San Francisco.
    I more or less like something in any place i ve visited.It is only some greek towns i wont set foot ever again.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Effie I'd love to go to Athens, it looks fantastic. Greece in general I'd love to visit, beautiful weather, amazing food, lovely people, flying flowerpots and loads of history. Le sigh.

I'm off to York this weekend to visit friends, can't wait! It looks like there's loads to do and it's really pretty too. I shall report back.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Υοrk is on my list but it must be summer.Please report and some pictures too.Ahem,flower pots were in my hometown but you just make me think i could use them in athens too...Screw you,karis,i ll end up in jail...
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

No way is anybody brave enough to jail you!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

let's do a "pool" on what the "rules" should be heehee
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Effie I'd love to go to Athens, it looks fantastic. Greece in general I'd love to visit, beautiful weather, amazing food, lovely people, flying flowerpots and loads of history. Le sigh.

I'm off to York this weekend to visit friends, can't wait! It looks like there's loads to do and it's really pretty too. I shall report back.
    Is it race weekend? I hope not because it'll be full of arseholes and they have a weird door policy... However there is loads to do - York isn't that big, the castle, the shambles area, the cathedral, etc & the shopping is quite good too.
    My fave shop is a little tea shop (selling not serving) at the bottom end of the shopping area (might even be in the shambles), I've got some good stuff from there!
    Free Charmed.

Gold Member

Love:

Washington, D.C. -- but the people ARE snobs about where they got their education
    Boston -- except for the crazy drivers
    San Francisco -- although the people weren't very friendly
    Florence -- charming
    Rome -- visually astonishing, vibrant

Only to visit:

New York -- claustrophobic, too big, too many people, not enough trees, too much traffic
    Charleston -- charming, but too hot and humid
    Chicago -- too big, too expensive, racially troubled
    Santa Fe -- charming, but it's in a desert
    San Antonio -- lovely to visit, but too hot and humid
    Orlando -- too humid, too touristy
    Venice -- fascinating, but it probably smells when the weather is warm

Hate:

Syracuse -- ugly, bad winters
    Buffalo -- ugly, brutal winters
    Las Vegas -- although it may be better now (but I don't gamble)
    Cleveland
    Toledo -- ugly, nothing going on there
    Atlantic City -- once you get beyond the boardwalk, it's all a ghetto

Nice places to live:

Dallas (and probably Fort Worth)
    Madison, WI
    Columbus
    Charlotte
    Indianapolis

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information