Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Awesome Iceland: Photos reveal dramatic landscapes that have inspired film locations

Stunning. But sad to see so little blue ice left.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

fgg

i'm jealous! i really want to go to iceland!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I've been dreaming of it for years, and as I finally have time, and money to travel, I just can't wait to visit all those fabulous places !
    (Ireland in April and Norway in winter, that's gonna be awesome !)

I'm slightly less thrilled about spending my summer holidays in a country where the average temperature will only be 15 degrees Celsius but hey, the landscape is definitely worth being cold

Have some of you guys already been there?
    What did you visit?
    Did you rent a car, did you stay in one place, if you have any travel advice, I'm all ears !

I'll be travelling with my best friend, we're absolutely not the camping type, so we were thinking about checking on Air Bnb for something to rent (hostels are way too expensive if we want to stay at least two weeks), and then I don't know, we haven't decided yet what we wanted to do / see
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Just came back, and I want to go back again, absolutely stunning country, really amazing landscapes, I still can't quite believe that everything I saw was real !
    Ravenna and ManxMouse like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I'm glad you had a great time, but what kind of trip report is that? lol. More details, please. At least tell us a few of the places and things you liked best

Amazing. I love the little house there alone in the middle of all that vastness.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I'm glad you had a great time, but what kind of trip report is that? lol. More details, please. At least tell us a few of the places and things you liked best

Ah ah ! Ok, let's have some details here !
    Well we went in Iceland from July 19 to August 4, which let us plenty of time to see many things (but also to spend some days doing nothing, it might seem like a waste of time for some people but my friend and I can't keep on going forever, we need our rest )

We chose to rent a flat in Reykjavik during our whole stay, because we didn't want to spend our holidays packing and unpacking and packing again. So of course there are plenty of things we didn't see, as Iceland is actually really huge, and we didn't want to drive for 10 hours. Therefore we couldn't see the Fjord peninsula in the North (the bird cliffs), Arukeyri and the Myvatn area, and the Skaftafell national park, which I really wanted to see (especially for that awesome place were icebergs drift down the river to the see, it must be a sight worth seeing, but unfortunately, we didn't drive that far !)

I must say I loved everything I saw, it's amazing how different the landscapes are from one another, from the vast lava fields covered with lime green moss, to the bird cliffs, to the snow covered mountains and glaciers, to the green valleys ... you really feel like you're visiting plenty of different countries !
    We of course went to the blue lagoon (expensive but that was an incredible experience, very relaxing for our sore muscles after hours of driving !) and the Golden Circle (Gullfoss, Geysir)
    I like the south west part of the island, the Keflavik area, the sea shore with its black cliffs, and the geothermal spots where the earth has so many colors you can't help but wondering what are the chemical reactions happening between the earth and the hot spots and god knows what, it's kind of fascinating. Lots of nice spots with lovely lighthouses too (I love lighthouses and fishing boats )

Among the places I liked best :
    - the snćfellsnes peninsula, we drove to Hella, and that spot is gorgeous. Of course you see plenty of amazing things along the road, that was a very cool part of the trip too (I liked the small towns of Akranes and Logarnes that we saw while driving up there)
    - the landmannlaugar national park : oh my god that was amazing, you need to google picture it ! We went hiking there, before relaxing in the hot springs (pure bliss)
    That was a long drive from Reykjavik, and the road was really bumpy (and regular cars are not allowed, you need a SUV) but it was so worth it. We saw a Viking farm and a lake inside a crater on the way, and we also drove past Hekla, the world's most monitored volcano, which was supposed to erupt 5 years ago but still hasn't (I was glad to get away from it )
    - and of course the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, which was amazing, despite the shitty weather which prevented us from really appreciating the beauty of the place. Unfortunately as we had already driven for too many hours, we didn't reach the beach were the large blocks of ice end their long journey from the Vatnajökull to the see, but the weather didn't help (that was the only really bad day we had, we were really lucky with the weather)

We also spent a few days in Reykjavik, to really enjoy the city and to relax (found a really nice vegan restaurant, that was appreciated !), tried one of the city's swimming pools (amazing, no wonder people spend their time here !)

Bref (as we say in French !) that was really really really great, I'll probably eat pastas till the end of the year now, but my god, that was some trip !
    Ravenna, palta, ManxMouse and 1 others like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Wow that sounds amazing! It's been on my list since I saw the Sigur Ros DVD where they travel around and play free shows in different places for the locals. I hope you can post some pics.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Awesome trip report, thanks! I really enjoyed reading it. You obviously had an amazing time-- your enthusiasm really comes through, and I loved your descriptions of the various things you saw. I am especially glad you made it to Landmannalaugar; that is my absolute favourite place in Iceland. Just incredible views at every turn, in all the colours of the rainbow. And soaking in a hotpot after a long day of hiking is indeed a wonderful thing.

You saw a lot of fantastic places and the memories will stay with you long after your diet of noodles is over I'm glad you're so happy with your trip.

I am indeed !
    I don't know if I can upload some pictures, I'll see if I can do that ! I'm glad you enjoyed the report !
    I had dreamt of making that trip for so long (somehow it was my "reward trip" for passing a very difficult competitive exam, that I had failed two years ago) that I spent 2 weeks feeling like a child during Christmas
    Ravenna and Brookie like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information