Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Assholes on a Plane

I bet your kids will take thorazine laced candy from a complete stranger if I'm cool looking enough
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

the most hellish things to me on a plane are:
    Babies
    I agree with Grimm about babies/young children on planes. I don't pay $500 or more for a ticket so that I can sit in the vicinity of a baby who is screaming, vomiting, and shitting in it's pants. I feel that if the airline seats you near a baby and then is unable to accomodate you if you request to change seats, they should refund at least part of your money.

Obese passengers
    Being seated next to someone who is so obese that they are spilling into your seat is uncomfortable. People this large should have to pay for as many seats as they occupy. Meaning, if they take up an entire seat AND need the armrest to be up to accomodate their lard-ass because they are on the very edge of their seat, they pay for BOTH seats. I'm not paying to share my seat with a gargantuan arm or buttcheek because the person next to me is too fat to squeeze into their seat. I also want to enjoy my trip, and if I can't use my armrest because the person next to me is so fat, I will be pissed. Again, if you are seated next to a person like this and the airport can't accomodate your request to be moved, part of your money should be refunded.

Sick Kids
    There is absolutely no excuse for bringing a sick child onto an aircraft. Germs spread like wildfire in a plane. Once, I was on board with what I believe to be the most offensive family I've ever encountered on a plane. They were foreign, and were eating some sort of ethnic food that they brought in their carry on and it literally smelled like diarrhea. The mom had a screaming baby with what I could tell was a heavily soiled diaper, which she did not change, and a kid who looked to be about 4, had snot dripping out of his nose, a croup-like cough (of course he was not covering his mouth), and was vomiting. I'm sort of paranoid about germs sometimes so this bothered me probably more than it would other people. They were sitting in front of me and the mom was rocking her seat back and forth as she tried to calm the shrieking baby, causing my beverage to spill on my pants. When I got off of the plane I was mortified because it looked like I'd had an accident in my pants. Meanwhile, the dad was making shrill, animalistic noises at the baby and laughing fondly. I was so outraged. I was 14 and traveling alone, and I was too nervous to complain to the flight attendant. I really feel like planes should have some sort of policy, like if a kid is visibly sick he or she absolutely cannot board the plane. The tickets can be easily transferred to a flight at a later date. I agree with the person who suggested separate sections in planes for people with children. I'd take it a step further and be in favor of separate PLANES for people with children. Like, some flights are no-children-allowed.

Oooh, I like the no-children-allowed flights.

I always seem to be blessed to be on flights where both the person in front of me wants to recline AND the seat behind me is a kid or idiot adult kicking the back of my seat.

I just can't stand people who are inconsiderate and just have no manners, which is the problem with all the other complaints here. But being on a cramped plane you can't escape for hours on end is what makes it absolute hell.

I did have a bad experience with a RUDE flight attendant my last flight. I was flying with my dog in cargo, and I wanted to make sure they'd boarded him before the plane took off. So I was about 6 ft. away from the FA, made eye contact with her, and said "I have a question," hoping she'd come over. Not only did she not come over, she turned away and pointedly ignored me to laugh and talk to the other flight attendant. Bitch. I gave her dirty looks the rest of the flight.

I only flew with my daughter once, and it was horrific. I took a night flight, and gave her triaminic before the flight, in hopes that it would put her to sleep. WRONG I was. In spite of the bottle I gave her, she started to scream as soon as the plane took off and screamed for almost three hours straight. Not a THING I could do, turbulence kept me from walking with her and on a plane where the hell are you going to walk anyway? I sat and cried with her. (She was not quite 2). Guy a few rows ahead kept turning around and giving me the dirty looks, I stared him down the last couple of hours of the flight and was ready to go toe to toe with him had he said a WORD. I think he sensed that and didn't turn around again. Smart boy.

Too bad they don't have a section that is a bit more, soundproof. I don't even know if it's possible. And there truly is NO ROOM in an airline bathroom to change a diaper. Why don't they have "family friendly" flights or planes? They don't give a crap about comfort, just more butts in the seats. Which makes it miserable for most people. If I needed to travel, I'd pay a little extra to not be that miserable again.

I don't regret the trip in the sense that many relatives were there and it was probably the last trip where his mom gets to see all her kids together. I'm glad I got to go, especially now that the area that I visited was wiped out by Katrina. But we have not gone back because it's too expensive and I was so traumatised by it that I am not willing to fly with kids again.

Grimm you'd have hated me. I would suggest eating your thorazine laced candy for yourself - at least then you wouldn't give a shit who was screaming, right?
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Sometimes flight attendants really suck ass. I've seen both professional ones and ones that obviously didn't give a shit.

Last flight we were on both my daughter and I were very offended by the flight attendent. During the flight demonstration of the pitiful lies that pass for safety measures such as seat belts and seat cushions that float my daughter looked away bored and the flight attendant noticed. Granted my daughter has flown many times in her life and wasn't paying attention because this is all old hat to her. Well, afterwards the flight attendant stopped by our seat, knew my daughter's first name and asked her if she was deaf. We told her no. Ten minutes passes and the same very stupid flight attendant comes by and says, "Are you sure you're not deaf." At that point my teenager snapped at her and asked her if she was an idiot because she's already told her she wasn't deaf. Normally I would have said something about my kid being rude to someone but this twit was being very insistent and obnoxious about it. We were ignored the rest of the flight, she even skipped us for a drink and snack but frankly we were relieved to be left alone.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I bet your kids will take thorazine laced candy from a complete stranger if I'm cool looking enough
    Sadly, they would. Cool is very big in their young lives but the question is, how cool can you be?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

There is a solution:
    Parents fly Business Class
    Kids fly Coach
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

One thing that I cannot tolerate on a plane, particularly a long journey, is a rowdy child. Sure I understand that young ones tend to get slightly agitated on a plane but when parents just leave them to it as they neck back the free booze, it just enrages me.

A couple of years ago on an extremely indolent twelve hour flight back from the Dominican with my daughter and some friends, I was utterly astounded by one young womanís attitude towards her childís disobedience. To begin with she was merely jumping on her chair, being loud, badly behaved and just generally annoying. Although irritating, I let it slip and continued my quest to fall asleep, assuming that at some point, somebody would control the girl.

I began to feel more irritable when, after 2 hours of this disturbance, the mother continued to ignore her daughter, burying her head further and further into her copy of the latest edition of OK Magazine.

I gestured to a helpful airhostess in an attempt to mute the girl. She tried her best but the mother just shot her a rather malevolent glare as if the child could do no wrong.

I managed to bite my lip throughout the majority of the flight, as I know that it is not socially acceptable to tell other peopleís children off. But I simply couldnít help commenting loudly when the mischievous child did a full 180 in her chair and began poking my daughter in the leg with a plastic knife. I ordered her to stop and frowned at the girlís mother, who sheepishly grabbed her arm and dragged her back into her chair, facing forward. I then heard a rather loud crack that I can only assume was the motherís hand rapping the girlís leg.

Iíve never actually been a firm believer in using physical force to punish children, but in this case it worked. I didnít hear a peep out of her besides a few sniffles after that.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Sadly, they would. Cool is very big in their young lives but the question is, how cool can you be?

That cool.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

ARe you trying to tell us something in a subliminal way, Grimm? If so, I'm impressed.

There is a solution:
    Parents fly Business Class
    Kids fly Coach
    ah, what a perfect world it would be.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

There is really nothing anyone can do about an infant. I think I could tolerate a screaming infant because it is not like the baby knows it is annoying people. Crying and screaming is what babies do..just a fact of life. What would bother me more is older children misbehaving and the responsible adult doing nothing about it, or adults themselves who know better being inconsiderate assholes. If you are on a plane behave yourself and make your children behave as well.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I don't blame the screaming baby, i blame the idiot person who brought one on an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I don't blame the screaming baby, i blame the idiot person who brought one on an airplane.
    Well what should parents who need to travel who have infants do? Have the infants travel in cages in the cargo area like caged animals?..*I really do not think I want to know the response to this... *
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

If you absolutely NEED to travel with very young kids then you just have to suck it up and do your very best to keep the kids under control and entertained (most kids misbehave because they are bored). If you CHOOSE to travel with them then you have a responsibility to make damned sure they cause as little disruption as possible. That's the problem - parents think the normal social rules of considerate behaviour don't apply to their kids. I know that when my kids were babies/toddlers we just didn't fly anywhere for a few years. It wasn't for the sake of other people, it was in order to preserve my own sanity.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

People usually roll their eyes when the walk on and see my family sitting on the plane. Which ticks me off. Don't automatically assume that every baby or child is out of control.

My kids are great on a plane. We have toys, books and dvd's to watch (head phones) to keep them amused for the duration of the flight. If it worked, I would pull a pinecone out of my ass to keep them quiet. Thankfully, we never get to that stage.

Traveled recently with my niece and it was like having the antichrist strapped in the adjacent seat. Hyper and talking nonstop. Turned out she was conning coffee out of the flight crew because she was afraid the plane would crash. Finally ended up doing an inflight makeover to shut her up.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information