Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Aspen, CO in June for the Food & Wine Classic (as seen on Top Chef...)

Repeat: still so jealous! Hope you have a GREAT time!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Sounds amazing, hope you have a great time! Take photos and give us a full report back
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

fgg

Quick update...Ali Larter is at the bar, famous chefs everywhere, food is amazing, scenery is gorgeous and I'm drunk. Will give more details on Tuesday!
    gas_chick likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Have fun !I am also insanely jealous it sounds so fun

fgg

ok, i'm ready for the full rundown...

my schedule was:

--Friday, June 14th--
    10:00 - 10:45 am: 101 Jacques & Claudine Pépin - Techniques to Create a Great Meal - they had a very cute & funny repport. very interesting demonstration. jacques & claudine were the only chefs to show up 15 min early and take pictures with everyone who wanted one. sat in the second row.
    11:30 - 1:15 pm: Grand Tasting 1 - gorged myself on food & wine and got goodies from the different vendors.
    2:00 - 2:45 pm: 201 Mario Batali - Sicilian Summer Supper. mario was ok. his hands were shaking the entire time which really surprised me. sat in the second row.
    3:45 - 4:30 pm: 302 Ming Tsai - Sushi Rolling Party. ming was super funny, telling dirty jokes and demonstrated how to do 6 (i think...) sushi rolls. let everyone ask questions. sat in the second row.
    4:30 - 6:15 pm: Grand Tasting 2 - gorged myself on food & wine and got goodies from the different vendors.

--Saturday, June 15th--
    10:00 - 10:45 am: 406 Shayn Bjornholm - Show Stopping Champagne. partied until 2 am, which is 4 my time, so we got breakfast and then went back to bed. no way i could think of drinking at 10 am. *barf*
    11:30 - 1:15 pm: Grand Tasting 3 - only had a couple of tastings of wines but ate more great food.
    2:00 - 2:45 pm: 502 Tom Colicchio & Gail Simmons - Top Chef: Leftover Challenge. this one was awesome because tom & gail were really engaging and answered questions the entire time they were doing their demonstration. tom made a lamb roast then took the "leftovers" and made it into a stuffing for a pasta and gail used her "leftovers" and made it into hash. sat in the second row.
    3:45 - 4:30 pm: 603 Susan Feniger - Entertaining: Global Vegetarian. she is the sweetest lady ever. my friend and i got a super cute picture with her and she was beyond accomodating. her food was outside my norm (mainly demonstrated indian food) but i looked and smelled amazing. sat in the front row! we got to smell a few herbs she passed around.
    4:30 - 6:15 pm: Grand Tasting 4 - did a quick run around for food & wine then went to get a nice dinner while people were still crowding the tents.

--Sunday, June 16th--
    10:30 - 11:15 am: 701 Sissy Biggers - The Classic Cookoff - did not make it to this because we were once again partying until after 4 am.
    12:30 - 2:00 pm: Grand Tasting 5 - didn't make it to the tasting because a storm rolled in right when we were getting ready to leave.

pros:
    -everyone, save one person, was just as nice as they could be.
    -saw/met at least 20 famous chefs (jacques & claudine pepin, mario batali, ming tsai, susan feniger, chris cosentino, gail simmons, richard blais, jose andres, mark murphy, kristen kish, mike isabella, carla hall - got a super cute picture, and a bunch of others i can't remember at the moment, etc.) and one celebrity (ali larter) who was at a bar i was at.
    -had amazing food at pinons on sunday night.
    -great weather.
    -drove from denver to aspen via the independence pass and it was some of THE most beautiful scenery i've ever laid eyes one.

cons:
    -the main bummer for me was that we didn't get to taste the food being made in the big sessions (i.e. all of the ones i attended). if you went to smaller ones, there were actual tastings.

places i would recommend:
    -peaches corner cafe - fabulous breakfast & pastries. we ate here three times.
    -matsuhisa - had uni tempura, miso soup and sushi.
    -pinons - had parmesan crusted, fontina & proscuito stuffed veal that was to die for!
    -steuben's in denver - had my first philly cheesesteak ever. my friend's fried chicken was really good too.
    -eric's bar - made a new best friend in bartender wes.
    -escobar - super fun music that had us dancing until the lights came on.

i'm hoping to make this an annual tradition, i highly recommend it!
    olivia and gas_chick like this.

Take me with you next year....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

So jealous! I love Richard Blais and Mike Isabella!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

fgg

montana - meet us there! gaschick - mike isabella gained a lot of weight since the show...

a little more. gail simmons wasn't that nice in person. she hosted the last bite dessert bash on friday night and it was $125/ticket over and above the $1,200 spent on the festival. i wanted to get a picture with her but she seemed to be running away from everyone. i left early because it was beyond hot and i mean like 90 degrees in the hotel jerome ballroom where the event was. there was a video posted on people.com of the dance party that ensued late into the night that i'm totally bummed i missed!

amy, the owner of a little clothes shop named "sweet" offerred to fix me & my friend up and find us a place to stay when we came back. i'm telling you that the people there are polar opposites to the floridians i'm used to dealing with.

That sounds absolutely divine! I lived in Colorado for a few years, but only made it to Aspen a couple of times - was a little out of my price range at the time. (Who am I kidding - it still is!) Colorado people are fantastic. It's like it's their life mission to make sure everyone around them has a good time.

Damn I hate to hear that about Gail. That especially sucks since you had to pay extra money to go to that event. I totally want onboard the next year train. I'll see if I can't outgain Mike!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

It's nice to hear that Susan Feniger was as cool as she seems on tv. Other than Bourdain, she's the #1 celebrity chef I'd love to have a beer with.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i'm now just one short week away from my trip and i'm so excited! in addition to the regular passes, i'm going to the last bite dessert bash hosted by gail simmons...full of sweet treats and drinks!

Sounds like a great trip!!!! Hope you have a blast!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information