Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is America really "all that and a bag of potato chips, girlfriend"?

Hit By Ban Bus!

The United States greatest appeal is in its variety - from coast to coast and border to border each region has something unique to offer and you can travel it all without ever having to show your passport.

The U.S. is a great country and it is generally filled with good people - come on over!

I have been lucky, I've seen "some" of this planet ... if I had to select parts of the U.S. to visit I'd say:

1. New England in the Fall. (Mother Nature is still the best artist)
    2. California in the winter. (San Fran is the bomb!)
    3. Gulf Coast in the Spring. (skip Mardi Gras, go to Jazz Fest)
    4. Summer in the Northwest. (Puget Sound is amazing)

Avoid New Jersey!

Nicest "people" on this planet = Swede's, Swiss are a close 2nd (they're a little snobby).
    Funnest "people" on this planet = the Aussies, Scottish close 2nd (they get violent)
    Dumbest "people" on this planet= Americans, there's no one close to us - sad
    Last edited by snuffy; May 9th, 2008 at 06:48 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    chapel hill in north carolina is really cool too. i don't know if it qualifies as the south though?
    It does.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    The United States greatest appeal is in its variety - from coast to coast and border to border each region has something unique to offer and you can travel it all without ever having to show your passport.

The U.S. is a great country and it is generally filled with good people - come on over!

I have been lucky, I've seen "some" of this planet ... if I had to select parts of the U.S. to visit I'd say:

1. New England in the Fall. (Mother Nature is still the best artist)
    2. California in the winter. (San Fran is the bomb!)
    3. Gulf Coast in the Spring. (skip Mardi Gras, go to Jazz Fest)
    4. Summer in the Northwest. (Puget Sound is amazing)

Avoid New Jersey!

Nicest "people" on this planet = Swede's, Swiss are a close 2nd (they're a little snobby).
    Funnest "people" on this planet = the Aussies, Scottish close 2nd (they get violent)
    Dumbest "people" on this planet= Americans, there's no one close to us - sad
    Uh....I beg to differ. Spend the better part of a decade in Europe and see how dumb Europeans can be. Really! They're no smarter than we are.
    Last edited by Tati; May 11th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Uh....I beg to differ. Spend the better part of a decade in Europe and see how dumb Europeans can be. Really! They're no smarter than we are.
    Alright so the dumb comment was uncalled for but I was judging us by that old joke:

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?

Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?

Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?

American

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Alright so the dumb comment was uncalled for but I was judging us by that old joke:

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?

Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?

Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?

American

You could also substitute "British" for American. In fact you really should; they're much more monolingual than we are. I'm not monolingual anyway.

Hit By Ban Bus!

yeah. it suxxxx

Isn't it rather stupid to say one nation is stupid? I'd say it makes the person saying it a tard

Hit By Ban Bus!

^guess I'm a tard ... you'll get no argument here.

I still think the really dumb Americans are the dumbest people I've ever met ... personal opinion, not a fact.

Just for laughs:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-q4MDQ0cDI[/YOUTUBE]

I wasn't aiming that at you snuffy, every country has their retards

Hit By Ban Bus!

^yes u were aiming at me .... you big bully

I'm what my mother calls a Camerican - half Canadian, half American. I have to agree with Tee-Ha-Ha, I lived oversees for years and have travelled extensively (though never to Australia or South America). I definately found out that ultimately I love living in America, although probably because I feel most at home. That's not to say that I didn't love the countries where I've been. There are many things I miss about Europe and Asia and I never feel totally like settling.

I have trouble with the ugly-American stereotype, not because I think it's totally untrue, I agree that it can be, but because most of the time I think it's just American's being misunderstood.

The other side of it is that I have had quite a few international friends here in the US, and have found many of them to be quite rude. An example is a friend I had from Mexico who constantly complained about how awful America was, how much better Mexico was in every way etc. even though she was applying for American citizenship. She's now living in the US working as an accountant, graduated from two US colleges, has her citizenship, and has married an American but still professes to hate everything about it. I've never seen an American in a foreign country feel free to tell that country's people that they think everyone there is stupid, and they hate everything about thier culture, while taking advantage of it. I've seen it more than once here.

Allie, I am from New Orleans at the present. I am originally from Mississippi. You want the Peggy Hill accent, I hear it all the time so it's no big deal to me. America can be wonderful and despicable (mostly wonderful though). Whatever type of environment you are looking for we have it (desert, arctic, tropics, urban, etc). Most Americans get a bad rap for what our government is doing. The people themselves do not always agree with the gov. We are overall a very friendly bunch of people. I would love to visit England. It sounds so wonderful to me. Anyway, come on over and visit the US one day. I don't think you will be disappointed by it. You will love it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information