Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is America really "all that and a bag of potato chips, girlfriend"?

I like living in America for the most part. I do feel like family values and quality of life in general are going down the drain, but I don't think it's any worse than any other countries.

One thing I do feel is increasingly becoming a problem, especially for women, is being forced to choose between work or family. In many cases, one income is not adequate to support a family and so women are either forced to get jobs so that they can make ends meet or stay at home with their kids and have their family do without any "extras" and just live at a lower quality of life than is desirable for them. I think that it's very difficult to live comfortably and happily with one income if you have children.

I don't know if that's always been the case and I'm just becoming aware of it now that I'm an adult, or if that's more recent. I just know that when I was a child, none of my friends' mothers (including my own mother) worked and all of their families lived very well. I honestly can't think of a single mother in our neighborhood who had a full time job. We lived in a regular, middle class to upper middle class neighborhood so I don't imagine that all of these fathers were just hauling in uncommonly high salaries. We just all seemed to live pretty comfortably with one income, and I feel like that's not really the case anymore.

We are also going crazy with political correctness, to the point where I feel freedom of speech has become irrelevant because if you say something or express a view that hurts someone's feelings, you will be sued.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I like living in America for the most part. I do feel like family values and quality of life in general are going down the drain, but I don't think it's any worse than any other countries.
    It's not; western Europe has the same problem.

One thing I do feel is increasingly becoming a problem, especially for women, is being forced to choose between work or family. In many cases, one income is not adequate to support a family and so women are either forced to get jobs so that they can make ends meet or stay at home with their kids and have their family do without any "extras" and just live at a lower quality of life than is desirable for them. I think that it's very difficult to live comfortably and happily with one income if you have children.
    I've seen this problem in western European nations too. Some are more generous than others with new mothers, but most are pretty stingy. Also, discrimination against pregnant women/mothers/women of child-bearing age is rife, no matter what the law says.

I don't know if that's always been the case and I'm just becoming aware of it now that I'm an adult, or if that's more recent. I just know that when I was a child, none of my friends' mothers (including my own mother) worked and all of their families lived very well. I honestly can't think of a single mother in our neighborhood who had a full time job. We lived in a regular, middle class to upper middle class neighborhood so I don't imagine that all of these fathers were just hauling in uncommonly high salaries. We just all seemed to live pretty comfortably with one income, and I feel like that's not really the case anymore.
    Life was cheaper when we were kids. I clearly remember the day we got cable. I clearly remember the day we got a microwave. Ditto for the VCR. We had only one television in the house most of my childhood, only one phone line, no computer, etc. We kept cars for about a decade before getting new ones, and our house was "modest" by today's standards; we had a 2400 sq ft ranch house which, depending on who you ask, is "average" or "small". Back when I was a kid, our house was considered to be pretty large. Despite my mother being from another country, we did not go abroad or on expensive vacations every year. We also sacrificed to pay for visits abroad to see mom's family. We were considered "upper middle class" but the lifestyle we led in the 70s and 80s would probably be considered spartan nowadays.

The point I'm trying to make is we didn't have a lot of the luxuries that people feel they're entitled to nowadays. No pool, no tv in our rooms, no electronic gadgets, no new car every few years, etc. My parents didn't even get a cordless phone, computer, or answering machine until recently. We also didn't go out to eat very much, maybe 1-2 times a month. I see the lifestyle some families lead now and I worry that their children will grow up incredibly spoiled.

We are also going crazy with political correctness, to the point where I feel freedom of speech has become irrelevant because if you say something or express a view that hurts someone's feelings, you will be sued.
    IMHO this is more of a problem overseas than it is here. The level of political correctness in Germany and the UK was particularly irritating. It's less of an issue in France but it's getting worse.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Attention foreign travelers: stay away from Memphis. Graceland is nothing worth seeing and is in a seedy part of Memphis (not that there aren't many that aren't) and the drivers here are the worst in the world. You might not make it out alive. It is a dirty ugly place. Don't bother. It is truly the arse end of the world.

That aside, there are lots of cool places in the South that don't fall into the category of "Bush Country." As I am from the South and grew up vacationing in this area, we hope to visit San Francisco, Seattle, and some of the sights along the East Coast soon.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

I think Charleston, South Carolina is an interesting place for travelers to see. There is a lot of history there, a great shopping district, really good restaurants (including some of the best seafood I've had) and pretty architecture and landscaping. Despite being in SC, I've found that it's actually pretty moderate and even leans toward the liberal side. It's nowhere near as conservative as other areas in the south.

chapel hill in north carolina is really cool too. i don't know if it qualifies as the south though?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    Allie, my neice spent 2 years or so in Australia. She met up with an Aussie & I think we will lose her to him & Australia. I am so happy for her & hope that if it makes her happy that they will live happily ever after in Austalia. He came to visit us this past Christmas & it was sooooo cold with snow never ending. He's a good guy, fun & cute & his family has money, they own a winery so good for my neice. Maybe one day I will even make it to Australia for a visit. My sister figures she will have little Aussie grandchildren one day, but she's the one that took her children to Australia for a vacation when they were young & gave her the bug to go back.
    That's cool, good on them... I'll swap Passports with her. lol

Is America all that and a bag of chips? Come on! There's so much to see.

NYC? Hello! Grand canyon? Hello! Mardi Gras? Hello! Florida? Hello
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I think the only time people get worried about Canadians is when beer is around.. tha's when we get rowdy.
    That Molsen 3.0 is like moonshine!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    And I would love to hear the Peggy Hill in y'all.
    God I love that show.
    So we'll trade. An accent for the Hills.
    Love this show too!

Peggy is not so good at the es-pa-nole, hahahaha.

On Topic: I like America but I also want to travel the world and see what else is out there! I'm starting in Oz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    chapel hill in north carolina is really cool too. i don't know if it qualifies as the south though?
    Definitely the south.

The US is great, so many different climates, geographical points of interest in one country! Make sure you are heavily insured before visiting though, their medical billing is a work of fiction, mainly fantasy, and the price of pharmacy drugs is just as unbelieveable.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

But I love Memphis! Barbeque, Beale Street, Graceland...
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Another sucky US place is Niagara Falls, NY. It sucks-all the good stuff is on the Canadian side-just avoid the US side and stay on the Canadian side. When I went there I took one drive around the US side and that was enough..and spent the rest of the time in Niagara Falls, Ontario. So much prettier, more things there, and the Horseshoe falls(Canadian side) is much nicer than the American falls on the other side. Niagara Falls, NY SUCKS and is ugly as hell!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Anyone wanting sheer beauty with splashes of Indian lore (even an Indian burial ground)and many sights to see,cruise the Natchez Trace in Mississippi. Be warned-it is 2 lane and the speed limit of 55 is strictly enforced. The huge old trees and the thick forests are staggering! There are places to rent a cabin or camp out-just fantastic.

Or my beloved New Orleans. Stay in the French Quarter-eat at Cafe du Monde,coffee and beingets and have powdered sugar fights. Walk around Jackson Square-the magnificant Cathedral dead center-all manner of artists,painting,playing muscic,dancing. These are people who love their art! Take a walking tour and see where men dueled in cobblestone alleys over beautiful quadroons. Do not leave with out having brunch at Commanders Palace-the service is impeccable and oh,Lord-let the last drink I ever have be one of their Bloody Marys-please!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    We are in the south baby! (I don't live in CH though, I live more to the east)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    That's cool, good on them... I'll swap Passports with her. lol
    Allie, I thought you were from Australia. Well, where I'm from in Michigan there isn't much to see. I love America & there are many beautiful sites to see but I'm pretty much over spending my vacation time here in the states. When I can afford it I'm off to anywhere but here. I've seen so much of the US & would like to take my kids to see parts of it but......I like visiting far away lands. I'll trade passports with you, I've always wanted to visit England. Maybe one day I will be able to. I hope you make it here one day though. My favorite part of the country is the southwest, then again the midwest and northwest too is awesome. There is so many place to see here it would be hard to chose where to go. Just like visiting Europe, wow, so much to see there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information