Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is America really "all that and a bag of potato chips, girlfriend"?

So,when are you coming Sweetie?
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I am ready right NOW!

Gold Member

i live here and i think it is all that

Gold Member

America is full of two types: people who want to know about the world and people who don't. There truly is very little middle ground because it's honestly easier not to care.

What an interesting thread!

Like others who have posted before me, I love America, but I am embarrassed by the obnoxious American travelers who demand the familiar comforts of home while ostensibly trying to broaden their experiences by going abroad. But like other posters, I think significant differences in people manifest according to region, education and socio-economic status.

My dream is to go to Italy. I was once fluent in Italian, but believe me, I'll brush up & study before I go. I don't want to be ignorant, and I LOVE how Italian people embrace those who show an effort to learn their language. But like Allie, I have a sort of obsession, and that's with English & Scottish people. When they talk, I lapse into a trance, and everything they say is extremely cool. Those of you who know what I'm talking about need no explanation.

As for Americans, I'm no expert but I've lived on both coasts & several places in between. While I define myself as a proud southerner, my boyfriend insists that I sound much more like a yankee (due to my "proper pronounciation," opinions & habits, and that really bothers me, but that's another thread for another time.) My point is that I define myself as a southern American but I suppose even that is up for debate. I can see myself visiting Allie's home town & hesitating & stuttering about my American identity.

I think Australians are romaticized by Americans, as well. I would love to visit Australia and would probably react just as Allie described.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Eli

^^ Like you had been dropped into heaven?? hahaha coz that's how I felt. Everything was prescious.
    I sound like a mental patient, lol.

I know just what you mean, dear.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    And I would love to hear the Peggy Hill in y'all.
    God I love that show.
    So we'll trade. An accent for the Hills.
    I hate to break it to you but "Peggy Hill"'s accent is fake; she's voiced by Kathy Najimy who is from California. The show itself is pretty true to life when it comes to life in small-town Texas though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    What an interesting thread!

Like others who have posted before me, I love America, but I am embarrassed by the obnoxious American travelers who demand the familiar comforts of home while ostensibly trying to broaden their experiences by going abroad. But like other posters, I think significant differences in people manifest according to region, education and socio-economic status.
    Whenever I go to Europe I seldom see obnoxious Americans demanding to be served in English and kowtowed to. I see it occasionally but for the most part I see them trying to be friendly and thumbing phrase books, butchering whatever language they're attempting to speak but still at least trying. The main exception is backpacking college students; they're fucking obnoxious and embarrassing.

I think the most obnoxious travelers in Europe have to be the British, hands-down, no contest, though the Chinese are starting to give them a run for their money. I don't mean to stereotype but the British in Europe seem completely unwilling to try anything new; they seem to be there merely to shop, sunbathe, and get drunk. The Chinese tourists I've seen seem to have an odd and obnoxious habit of spitting everywhere.

I think the difference between American and British tourists probably comes down to socioeconomic factors; for us Americans, traveling to Europe is still expensive and it's out-of-reach for a lot of us, whereas the British can hop across the Channel for very little money so you get a lot more of the...erm...unsophisticated types.

Whenever there's an international soccer or rugby match all bets are off; I've seen Germans making complete idiots of themselves in London, Italians embarrassing their countrymen in Paris, Dutch hooligans making their presence known in Germany, etc.

Eli

^^ Lol, I know that. I still like the accent she does though!
    I love the way she says her name, like she's James Bond.
    *dramatic pause* "Peggy Hill!"

tee-ha-ha, that's all extremely interesting! I love hearing first-hand experiences like that. I never would have guessed that the backpacking kids would be the most obnoxious, either.

Gold Member

The standard of living is probably about the same as that of Australia's.

It's a nice place to live, but I don't think it's "the greatest country on Earth" or anything like that. Especially with the economy in the dumper...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    tee-ha-ha, that's all extremely interesting! I love hearing first-hand experiences like that. I never would have guessed that the backpacking kids would be the most obnoxious, either.
    I think it also depends on what bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    ^^ Lol, I know that. I still like the accent she does though!
    I love the way she says her name, like she's James Bond.
    *dramatic pause* "Peggy Hill!"
    LOL, she's pretty funny; she's so confident in her own abilities. Did you ever see the one where she accidentally kidnapped a child in Mexico? Her Spanish sucks!
    Last edited by Tati; March 23rd, 2008 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I would move in a heartbeat. I really don't care for this country.
    That's what I said and that's exactly what I did.

Being American, I had always been fasinated with Europe. Ever since I was able to read and educate myself about my own country, I just lost interest in my nationality. Everything and anyone across the ocean was the greatest thing

I cant say that Europe is better than America and vice versa. We all have different faults. The great thing about my dutch boyfriend is that we have conversations about the sterotypes. Now that Im here, Im seeing things from a different perspective, how his family compares me to the television and then me being on the defense.

Sometimes I catch myself talking about how "we do this", "ours is better" ;etc, phrases that which my country. Things which I miss about my country but things as to why I left, makes me think I left for "political" reasons. It is not right to hate my country but to appreciate the good in it, as in any country. It doesnt bother me to say this, but Im rather on the fence about being American.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Allie, my neice spent 2 years or so in Australia. She met up with an Aussie & I think we will lose her to him & Australia. I am so happy for her & hope that if it makes her happy that they will live happily ever after in Austalia. He came to visit us this past Christmas & it was sooooo cold with snow never ending. He's a good guy, fun & cute & his family has money, they own a winery so good for my neice. Maybe one day I will even make it to Australia for a visit. My sister figures she will have little Aussie grandchildren one day, but she's the one that took her children to Australia for a vacation when they were young & gave her the bug to go back.

It depends on where you go in America...

I'm Canadian so I'm calling it "The States".

I've been to New York City (6 times), New York State (twice) Boston, Milwaukee and Chicago.
    The only tyical stereotyped Americans I found where in Chicago...accidentley made it to the wrong side of town and thug type guys did not approve, but that kind of stuff is in every city. All the other places I went to, everyone was very nice and friendly. Especially in NYC....I've been before and after 9/11 and it is definately friendlier now...not that it wasn't before, I just think New Yorkers like that people aren't afraid to visit. I really love it there. I'd live there if it wasn't so damn busy and hella expensive.!! lol. I think the only places that I wouldn't go to are the very Bush type states, but I guess i shouldn't say that since I've never been to any, but some friends have gone and it scared them off the States forever.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information