Thread: Great things to do in Sydney

Default Great things to do in Sydney

Taronga Zoo

One of the most spectacular zoological gardens in the world, this is an easy ferry ride from the main Sydney ferry terminal at Circular Quay.

Bondi Beach

Learn to catch the waves at this most famous of Australian shorelines.

Sydney Cricket Ground

The scene of many a famous Ashes battle, the SCG also has behind-the-scenes tours, where cricket lovers can find out more about the game

Hyde Park Barracks

For an insight into Australia's convict heritage, visit this striking museum off the city's heritage-rich Macquarie Street.

Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb

A magnificent feat of engineering, and now an integral part of the city's skyline, the Sydney Harbour Bridge can now be climbed by the stout of heart.

Voyage on the Tribal Warrior

Visitors can connect with the Sydney area's extensive Aboriginal heritage with a voyage on the Tribal Warrior, where the important sites are pointed out by descendants of Australia's original inhabitants.

Sydney Opera House

Sydney's most famous building can be appreciated from many angles on the outside...

...but don't neglect the opportunity for an insider's view to see and hear all Jørn Utzon's incredible building has to offer.

Sydney pub tour

Ah, the amber nectar. Sydney has a wide network of pubs, with some of the oldest and most interesting congregated around the Rocks area of the city where the original First Fleet landed.

Prawns on the barbie

One of the most popular national pastimes, the barbecue is an essential part of any self-respecting Australian's culinary armoury. Visitors can learn how it's done at the famous Sydney Fish Market.

The Blue Mountains

Just a short train ride from Sydney, the Blue Mountains give a spectacular taste of Australia's raw, unforgiving Outback.

Great things to do in Sydney - Telegraph

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'll add Manly Beach and definitely Palm Beach. The Museum of Contemporary Art, lunch at the Shangrila Hotel (can't spell today, head filled with snot), the Spit to Manly Walk, the Coogee to Manly Walk, The Fish Market, Hunter Valley....there's actually a lot to do, particularly just eating at all the good restaurants.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

This has made me VERY nostalgic for Sydney! Such a cool place. Manly beach was great, and the theme park with the spooky face..

Luna Park

The Powerhouse museum is brilliant as well.

Wanna go back......

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

....avoid skin cancer.

Can't believe they put Fosters beer in the pic for a pub tour... gross. No self respecting Aussie drinks that shit!

Best things I've done on trips to Sydney (and I haven't done a lot of the uber-touristy stuff as I've been with other people)

- ghost tour at the Manly Head quarantine facility. Really creepy, awesome night out!

- Fish and chips on Manly Beach. Love it!

- Breakfast overlooking Bondi. Noice.

i have always always wanted to go to Australia.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I meant to say Coogee to Bondi walk (or vice versa) and yes, the Powerhouse Museum is good, as well as the Police Museum. I love the pizza at Hugo's and the giant seafood platter at Doyle's. A great restaurant in Neutral Bay is called Jappas. It's Japanese Tapas and I recommend the tasting menu. It's bloody fantastic. Taronga Zoo is actually pretty cool, as is Ocean World in Manly, where you can see, up close, all the really deadly shit....or just take a walk in the bush and see it for free.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Picture of Manly Beach,please! I rather like that name.
    I am pleased to see Butt as semi-native Aussie,now!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I would also recommend--very highly--the Blue Mountains. Under two hours from city by car, less by train and some of the finest hiking I've experienced. Awe-inspiring scenery, killer hikes along with not so killer ones, great little towns, good food...it's all there... even a scary cult-run cafe that serves the best sandwich I've ever had in my life. I swear I'd join the cult if they promised to give me the secret recipe.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I would also recommend--very highly--the Blue Mountains. Under two hours from city by car, less by train and some of the finest hiking I've experienced. Awe-inspiring scenery, killer hikes along with not so killer ones, great little towns, good food...it's all there... even a scary cult-run cafe that serves the best sandwich I've ever had in my life. I swear I'd join the cult if they promised to give me the secret recipe.
    Did it involve Vegimite?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No. See Cult Café in Religion. Vegemite is foul.

--Sinclair Lewis

I finally tasted Vegemite, courtesy of a friend who had just come back from a year of living in Australia. It wasn't so bad, it was just so damn salty! I'd like it more if it tasted more yeasty, less salty.

Thread Information