Thread: Amazon tribes gather at the World Social Forum in Belem, Brazil

Default Amazon tribes gather at the World Social Forum in Belem, Brazil

While world leaders are gathering in Davos, Switzerland, for the World Economic Forum, an alternative meeting is taking place in Brazil

Anti-globalisation activists are gathering in Belém, a city at the mouth of the Amazon, for the six-day World Social Forum (WSF)
    Picture: REUTERS

The choice of Belém, the capital of Pará state and the northeastern gateway to the Amazon jungle region, as this year’s WSF venue, indicates emphasis on environmental and climate issues... well as social concerns, with the participation of poor and ethnically diverse communities living in the world's greatest tropical forest and freshwater reserve

To launch this year's forum, people from several different Amazonian tribes took part in a march to highlight the plight of the rainforest
    Picture: AFP/GETTY

Participants highlighted the fact that this would be the first forum to be held outside the era of former US president George W. Bush, who opposed many of the environmental and economic plans advocated by groups involved

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Bolivia's Evo Morales, Ecuador's Rafael Correa, Fernando Lugo of Paraguay and Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez have all confirmed their attendance...

...However, Mexico's President Felipe Calderon and Colombia's Alvaro Uribe have chosen to attend the WEF in Davos instead

The first World Social Forum was held in 2001 in Brazil's southern city of Porto Alegre, as a space for debate going beyond the protests usually waged by many of the groups taking part

It has become an annual fixture since - with the exception of 2008 - and has grown to become the biggest anti-globalisation event on the planet

The World Social Forum runs from January 27 to February 1

Amazon tribes gather at the World Social Forum in Belem, Brazil - Telegraph

Over the hills and far away

I love seeing stuff like this.

Burning Down Your Windmill

OMG, I want the headdress is the first pic, its just gorgeous.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member
    The Edge of the Annex

Thank God the Amazon tribes are still around.

Thread Information