Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to the US/Canada, need advice

Default I'm going to the US/Canada, need advice

At the end of February I'm going to New York. I'll stay there for several days and then I want to go to Boston, Portland, Montreal, Toronto and back to New York, all by car. Now I saw in google maps that you have to pay a toll for some of the streets. I was in Mexico last year and there I had to pay 20 US$ for half an hour on a turnpike. I was shocked! How much is it in the US? Is it recommendable to switch to free roads or are they bad?
    Do you know any cheap motel chains? Are the prices they advertise for one room or for one person? Can you get coupons for motels (I've heard Americans have coupons for everything :-))?
    Are there any things I HAVE to see or do in any of the above cities?
    I will go to the library this week and get some books anyway, but maybe some of you guys have good advice.

There are tons of things in Boston but you'll be catching us at probably the coldest point of the year. Plenty of great food in the North End and the South End is up and coming as well, Maybe take a tour of Fenway park if you can? Walk the Boston Common? Visit Paul Revere's house or even go to the Boston Tea party museum. The toll for the Mass Pike varies depending on which exit you get on and off on
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Actually I wanted to go 2 weeks later but I didn't get off at work. Does it usually snow at the end of Feb? Is it save to drive? I probably will only stay one or two days in Boston, so I can't do a lot. I'm not much into sports so I guess I will skip Fenway Park, but Boston Common looks good. Can you tell me how much the Mass Pike is approximately? Is it something like 5$ or could it be 20$ as well?

Montreal: see Old Montreal quarter, and you have to go clubbing. I suggest "Parking" or "Stereo", both are on or around St Catherine street. Montreal is a party town. It's also going to be ridiculously cold (-20 or worse, -45 isn't unheard of) so bundle up.

Toronto: a number of art museums (AGO, the ROM) that have recently been redone with outstanding designs, Kensington Market for bohemian hipster fun (britrock bars, fun stores) Bloor West for upscale shopping, and Queen West for more hipster shopping. Not as cold as Montreal, but bring warm clothes anyway.

I don't think either province uses toll roads, but the roads in Quebec are bad so watch out for pot holes
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The only toll highway in Toronto is the 407 - it's expensive, but there's no need to take it. It runs east-west, just take the 401 instead.

Boston's pretty, and not that big geographically. You can see a lot of it on foot, and it's great for that, with good shopping, cafes and pubs. Eat some clam chowder!

There are plenty of cheap hotel and motel chains in both countries. Holiday Inn is a pretty good one (in Canada anyway - I've heard a lot of mocking but have never actually seen one that was bad ). Do NOT stay at the Comfort Suites in Toronto - its advertising makes it out to be affordable luxury, but it's just crap. If you can, stay towards the west of the "hotel district" in Toronto (if you look up hotels on a Google map you'll see what I mean) - you'll want to be downtown, but there's kind of "more" city in west downtown than east (I'm talking just ever-so-slightly) and the hookers all congregate around Jarvis.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    At the end of February I'm going to New York. I'll stay there for several days and then I want to go to Boston, Portland, Montreal, Toronto and back to New York, all by car. Now I saw in google maps that you have to pay a toll for some of the streets. I was in Mexico last year and there I had to pay 20 US$ for half an hour on a turnpike. I was shocked! How much is it in the US? Is it recommendable to switch to free roads or are they bad?
    Do you know any cheap motel chains? Are the prices they advertise for one room or for one person? Can you get coupons for motels (I've heard Americans have coupons for everything :-))?
    Are there any things I HAVE to see or do in any of the above cities?
    I will go to the library this week and get some books anyway, but maybe some of you guys have good advice.

There's no way you're getting back and forth to Portland by car in just a few days.

The price at hotels is generally quoted as double occupancy (2 people).

Almost every roadside rest stop/visitor center has coupon books for travel.

Toll rates vary greatly. There is no way to give you a specific number unless there is a specific highway you know you want to drive on.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I don't know anything about the toll roads in Boston, but the ones in Texas have gotten really expensive. They've increased the price to $1.50 or more each time that you go through. If you are going to be driving extensively on toll roads, be prepared to pay out the ass for it.

The best bet is to try to find alternate routes.

Or even better,get a toll tag for the car. Cheaper. Ask the car rental place.
    Driving from Boston to Portland in the middle of winter is risky. You could get snowed in anywhere. Better to fly. Check Southwest fares on Mon afternoon or Tues morn.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks for the good advice!
    I really didn't know that it can be that cold in February. I checked the climate tables on the internet and for Toronto for example it says -7,3C minimum temperature and for Boston -6,1C! So I thought it would be safe to drive...What do you think, would it be better to do the trip later? My sister stayed with her in laws in Regina, Canada over Christmas and she said it was -20C and they couldn't leave the house because of that. I never experienced -20C in my whole life, I'm afraid my ears could fall off I really have doubts now. Maybe I should shorten the trip to one weak in New York and come back later for the other cities?

They couldn't leave the house cuz it was -20? What a bunch of babies!

We go out when it's -30, -40. Sure it's cold, but you just have to bundle up

Your ears won't fall off, because if you're visiting Canada in the winter they should be covered. Just buy yourself a winter hat.

Super cold temperatures are something to be experienced at least once in your life hehe
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Boston is hit or miss with the snow...we have had alot of snow so far this winter but then other days it reaches 50 degrees so your guess is as good as mine. lol. As far as the tolls...if you are only going into the city and then off to your next city I would say around $10 should be enough
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

My sister stayed with her in laws in Regina, Canada over Christmas and she said it was -20C and they couldn't leave the house because of that.
    Pfft. Wusses. It's -20 here today.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I know, right

Hell, -5C and Canadians break out the shorts. Don't laugh, I've seen it.

That seems like a lot of driving. How long do you have, Lenny? It might be better to split those destinations into more than one trip if you want a chance to see anything. Not much advice really except that an in car GPS system can be a lifesaver. I don't know if you can get one with your rental car.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I know, right

Hell, -5C and Canadians break out the shorts. Don't laugh, I've seen it.
    Ah, so you've met my husband!

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information