Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E. M. Forsterís Florence

Default E. M. Forsterís Florence

Enjoying Florence can take endurance with the throngs of tourists invading its narrow streets. But if you ditch the guide book for "A Room With a View" by E. M. Forster, you'll find it easier to get along. Written a 100 years ago, this charming book reminds us that the Tuscan city is a capital of art, not just an overcrowded museum. Left, the skyline of Florence, dominated by the Duomo and Brunelleschi's dome.

A window used in the 1986 film adaption by Merchant-Ivory.

The young heroine, Lucy Honeychurch, winds up alone in Basilica di Santa Croce, seen here, without her "Handbook to Northern Italy." With no cultural authority to tell her what to think, Forster wrote, "the pernicious charm of Italy worked on her, and, instead of acquiring information, she began to be happy."

Even if you've lost your guidebook, you're reminded at every step of the city's vast cultural riches: below, the bronze baptistery doors of Lorenzo Ghiberti.

The Piazza della Signoria at twilight, where Lucy wanders one evening, unaccompanied. A fight breaks out and when she sees blood trickling out of the fatally wounded man's mouth, she swoons into the arms of a fellow traveler, George Emerson, as luck would have it.

E. M. Forsterís Florence - The New York Times > Travel > Slide Show > Slide 8 of 8

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I've been to Florence a few times and here's my advice on visiting (actually this goes for anywhere in Europe): walk out of your hotel and start walking. Just wander and go where the streets take you. Bring a map so you can find your way back but beyond that just hit the road. Mr. butt and I always do this and have found so many cool places and things that we would never have seen had we stuck to what the guide books suggested. I hate guide books.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I've been to Florence a few times and here's my advice on visiting (actually this goes for anywhere in Europe): walk out of your hotel and start walking. Just wander and go where the streets take you. Bring a map so you can find your way back but beyond that just hit the road. Mr. butt and I always do this and have found so many cool places and things that we would never have seen had we stuck to what the guide books suggested. I hate guide books.
    great advice. and i totally agree. the best thing to do in a european city is just walk your ass off and get lost. you won't be disappointed.
    guide books are good for getting to know the basics of a place but you're not really traveling if you depend on them (or tour guides, or any other kind of organised trip) for everything.

also, go off-season.
    visiting florence, venice, paris, or any other major tourist spot in europe in july and august is madness. most of the locals are on vacation and it's just tourists and hiked-up prices and shit food.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Florence is one of my very favorites,yes off season is better and i always walk..i dont mind getting lost,locals can help you..
    Last time there,i took buses and toured Tuscanny,Sienna,Luca,Piza and some other spots,it was great.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

it's gorgeous! florence is on my list of cities to visit one day.

and, can i just say that i LOVE traveling during the off-seasons? i'm not really much one for tourist crowds, so it's the best way to travel, imo!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    and, can i just say that i LOVE traveling during the off-seasons? i'm not really much one for tourist crowds, so it's the best way to travel, imo!
    same here. i avoid high season like the plague.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

when i know where i'll go next, i look through the guide books in advance but never take them with me when i set out. and when i stumble upon something i read about, i see it as an enrichment that i already know something about the historical value or the architecture etc. but when i have no idea where i want to go next, i tend to end up at the train station and just board a random train and then another and so on until i get to a place i haven't seen yet. and then i start walking my ass off.

florence seems like an interesting and beautiful city.

Elite Member

If I could go to Italy I don't think I would ever come back. Italy is my fantasy. I've been everywhere in my mind...

i'd love to be able to afford to travel outside the US. Florence is wayyyy up there on my places to go list.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

^^^^Come to Quebec City in Quebec, Canada - way cheaper than Europe and just as French.

^ it's florence, tuscany, italy.

Elite Member

^^^^I know dear - I was only pointing out that you don't need to go to Europe to get the atmosphere of Europe...

I dont think you could find Europe any where else than Europe itself..the weather,the food,people,customs..
    Ah,i long for Florence..again and again..this time more time at Siena..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    ^^^^I know dear - I was only pointing out that you don't need to go to Europe to get the atmosphere of Europe...
    then i misread your post, sorry. i was a bit distracted by a considerable air pressure shift a couple of minutes before i posted. my window literally shook and the whole roof rattled.

anyway, europe is too diverse so i agree with effie here.

Elite Member

Sorry if I was snarky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information