Thread: The new Oklahoma City

Default The new Oklahoma City

A mix of Midwestern architecture and attitude, Southern blues bars and barbecue joints and Western landscape and history is drawing a new wave of visitors to Oklahoma's capital.

Taxi boats transport tourists on the Bricktown Canal in the city's revitalized riverfront district. The area is a lively focal point for night life.

Oklahoma City owes its resurgence to the escalating price of crude oil and gas. Oil derricks can be seen all over town, including on the grounds of the State Capitol.

A 55-foot-tall glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly fills the lobby of the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. The museum is home to the most comprehensive collection of Chihuly's works.

James Earle Fraser's stirring monument, "The End of the Trail," greets visitors to the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.

Part of a bronze monument along the Oklahoma River that commemorates the great Land Run of 1889, when 10,000 pioneers rushed into town on a single day.

The Oklahoma City National Memorial covers the site of the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building that killed 168 people.

The New Oklahoma City - The New York Times > Travel > Slide Show > Slide 11 of 11

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

A 55-foot-tall glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly fills the lobby of the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. The museum is home to the most comprehensive collection of Chihuly's works.

i LOVE Dale Chihulys work. I saw his exhibition Form From Fire at the Dayton Art Museum and was amazed at how beautiful it was.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

SVZ

HOOTERS! HOOTERS! HOOTERS111mm

I used to live 20 minutes from OKC, and IMO, it's nothing special. While these pictures are beautiful (and probably VERY carefully hand-picked for that purpose), they make it look a lot more impressive than it actually is.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Midwestern architecture
    um what?! there's such a thing?! lol

i love that scuplture of the guy and the horses by the river though

eh, i can think of about a thousand cities i would visit before oklahoma.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information