Thread: The hotel that's a bit rough around the edges

Default The hotel that's a bit rough around the edges

Rough Luxe hotel in London's King’s Cross is the brainchild of Beirut-born designer and gallerist Rabih Hage, who has deliberately left some walls half-finished to create a feeling of 'urban archaeology'. Contemporary touches, such as the photograph of Gilbert and George in the lobby by Jonathan Root, add the 'luxe' element to the 'rough'

The dining room features a solid wood dining table made out of reclaimed timber from Brighton pier, a ceiling trompe l'oeil photograph of the Cupola di San Lorenzo, and a plaster chandelier by French designer Patrice Gruffaz

Rooms also juxtapose contemporary furnishings with distressed walls. Bedroom one has a fake crocodile print on the bed's headboard under the original print of the opulent Palazzo Altieri in Rome by Massimo Listri. Hage says: 'You can go into luxury hotels in Kensington and Chelsea and you know what you will get. Here there is an element of discovery. There is a richness without any of the ostentation'

Cynics may well see the half-finished interiors as a simple money-saving exercise. Hage says: 'If something is good and works, what is the point of replacing it? We don't have flatscreens and DVD players. Instead there is an element of surprise; an experience.' And also a sense of playfulness and wit

Reclaiming and recycling also plays a part - this room is furnished with an original copper bath tub and a ceiling light, bought at auction, that was once an emergency corridor light in the Savoy hotel

Whether Rough Luxe's peeled-back aesthetic is an inspired egg or economic necessity, it's refreshing to find a boutique hotel that isn't obsessed with contemporary 'mochaccino' colour schemes. It's a warm and witty concept and a beautiful piece of design

Rough Luxe Hotel London | Travel | guardian.co.uk

it's a neat idea and i'll admit i like how it turned out looking. the door frame in the last picture, however, is in a dismal state.

No, not my thing. At all.

It's interesting but I don't know if it works for a hotel. The distressed walls look wet, dirty and cold.

The copper tub and peeling wall looks absolutely dismal, like something out of an industrial nightmare. I would rub my skin right off trying to get clean in there.

God, that's just dark, dingy and depressing. Yuck.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Yeah it's a bit depressing. I like some elements of it though.

i love the texture of those half-finished walls in a couple of those rooms, namely the bathroom with the copper tub & the room with the purple striped couch.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

omg that bathroom looks like something from Withnail & I. Or Trainspotting...

Well I liked it until I seen the bathroom! Walking in there I wouldn't know what to do first! Take protection or start shooting up?!!!

A*O

It looks like a squat. When I stay in a hotel I want luxury please.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

It appeals to the starving artist that wanted to live in a Paris attic part of me. I'd stay there. LOVE the bathtub, have an old one similar to that we picked up at a salvage yard. It's wonderful and the metal holds the heat of the water longer than our ceramic or fiberglass tubs.

Cool to look at but I don't think I'd want to sleep there.

i love it. but then i have always loved unfinished/old walls. i have dozens of pictures i've taken of old walls and stained cement and peeled wood panels because i find them incredibly beautiful. sometimes they look like abstract paintings.
    some friends bought a country house in bourgogne and they left the walls like that and it looks gorgeous. you can see the layers of centuries of paint and it's absolutely beautiful. it doesn't look squalid at all IMO because it contrasts nicely with the beautiful furniture, artwork and the fact that everything else is perfectly finished.
    i much prefer this to the overdone, overly decorated feel of many luxury hotels.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like it. But the bathroom wall is a bit much, I'll agree.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think it's fun but may be just a little rougher than I'd like. I adore that trompe-l'oeil ceiling and wall.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Thread Information