Thread: The Cave of Crystals discovered 1,000ft below a Mexican desert

Default The Cave of Crystals discovered 1,000ft below a Mexican desert

Until you notice the orange-suited men clambering around, it's hard to grasp the extraordinary scale of this underground crystal forest. Nearly 1,000 feet below the Chihuahua Desert in Mexico, this cave was discovered by two brothers drilling in the Naica lead and silver mine. It is an eerie sight.
    Up to 170 giant, luminous obelisks - the biggest is 37.4 feet long and the equivalent height of six men - jut across the grotto like tangled pillars of light; and the damp rock of their walls is covered with yet more flawless clusters of blade-sharp crystal.
    Enlarge
    Crystal forest: People clambering through the cave of crystals wearing suits and backpacks of ice-cool air to cope with the 112F temperature

The crystals are formed from groundwater saturated in calcium sulphate which, warmed by an intrusion of magma about a mile below, began filtering through the cave system millions of years ago.
    When, about 600,000 years ago, the magma began to cool, the minerals started to precipitate out of the water, and over the centuries the tiny crystals they formed grew and grew until 1985, when miners unwittingly drained the cave as they lowered the water table with mine pumps.
    Because the crystals resemble giant icicles, the picture suggests it must be very cold inside the Cave of Crystals - but appearances can be deceptive.
    In fact, the temperature is a sweltering 112F, with a humidity of 90-100 per cent, which is why cavers wear protective suits and carry backpacks of ice-cooled air.
    Such conditions, and the fact that it takes 20 minutes to drive to its entrance through a twisting mine-shaft, haven't deterred would-be looters - one of the crystals bears a deep scar where someone has tried, and failed, to cut through it.
    But the cave has now been fitted with a heavy steel door, the better to preserve this beautiful wonder for generations to come.

Pictured: The Cave of Crystals discovered 1,000ft below a Mexican desert | Mail Online

Wow!!!!

That looks like something from a 70s Sci-fi film...I can't quite believe it's real....

Oh wow.. that's pretty awesome... those crystals are HUGE!

thats just amazing!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Wow!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Impressive.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Wow. It's extraordinary. Nature is so beautiful

Beautiful. I just think its great that with all we think we know, mother nature still has surprises up her sleeve.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That is amazing and beautiful, but I think I'd have a panic attack down there.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

unreal. I couldn't figure out what the little orange things were til I realized they are people.

Gold Member

What a delightful discovery! WOW!!!

Thread Information