Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to DC next week

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default Going to DC next week

I'll be in DC next week and I'll have one day that I'll get to wander about. The initial plan was for me to hole up at some day spa but that seems really fucking retarded; it is the US capital and I would like to think there is something important and profound to see while I am there.

SUGGESTIONS???
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

There are way too many great things to see, it mostly depends on what your interests are. There's all the Smithsonians that have a lot of history, National Archives is pretty boring, but you can see the Constitution and Bill of Rights and stuff. There's the Newseum, which is incredible; the brand new Native American museum; the Holocaust museum, which is extremely powerful. If you feel like shopping you can wander around through Georgetown and get some great food while you're at it. If you're into art, there's the National Galley...th elist just goes on and on.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

You cannot beat a day at the Smithsonian. Every museum is wonderful. You have the Capitol building at one end, the Washington monument at the other, the Supreme Court, etc. Also, Arlington Cemetery is quite profound. As for nightlife, the restaurants in Dupont Circle and Georgetown are great.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    There are way too many great things to see, it mostly depends on what your interests are. There's all the Smithsonians that have a lot of history, National Archives is pretty boring, but you can see the Constitution and Bill of Rights and stuff. There's the Newseum, which is incredible; the brand new Native American museum; the Holocaust museum, which is extremely powerful. If you feel like shopping you can wander around through Georgetown and get some great food while you're at it. If you're into art, there's the National Galley...th elist just goes on and on.
    Looks like we have similar ideas
    Last edited by Tati; October 9th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Awesome!

I love living in the burbs of DC because we have the Smithsonians. Free education doesn't get better than this, my personal fave is the Natural History Museum!

Like the others said, there's so much to do it just depends on your tastes. I would definitely recommend Georgetown for dinner. Maybe go to Sequoia or Tony and Joe's on the waterfront. It's an awesome sight!

There's also the White House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

My kids could NOT get enough of the Air & Space museums. Have you been to the annex out in Dulles, the one with the IMAX?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I miss living there. I was born and raised in this area and nowhere I go comes close!

Yeah, I miss living there too. I freaked when I moved here to Denver and found out you have to pay to get into the museums. WTF?! Some of my best memories of DC are my best friend and I having $5 between us would hop on the subway and spend the whole day downtown seeing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Have you been to the annex out in Dulles, the one with the IMAX?
    Actually Chantilly is my stomping grounds, I work and live there. I just went to the annex like 2 weeks ago. It was really interesting! I'm a history buff so being able to stand next to such amazing parts of history was awesome. Seeing the Concorde was pretty sweet as well as the Blackbird. The Enola Gay is housed there too, which is an amazing machine but I can't get over the fact that it was meant for destruction. One thing I noticed in the Space section was that the women astronauts took makeup to space, WTF

It's just a really cool feeling that these pieces had a direct part of history. Thinking about the men and women who flew them, who invented them. What amazing events they must have witnessed. Ok nerd rant over, I could talk about this all day.

Also there's an observation tower where you can watch the planes land, somewhat like Gravelly Park out by Reagan. (oooh JKM, if you have extra time hit up Gravelly Park. It's a fun spot and you can feel the wind from the planes!)

Also JKM, depending on the weather there's always the ZOO. That is my favorite part of DC!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Cool y'all! I only have about 8 hours to myself but I'm sure these suggestions will keep my ass out of trouble.

Vietnam Vets Memorial is astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    I love living in the burbs of DC because we have the Smithsonians. I would definitely recommend Georgetown for dinner. Maybe go to Sequoia or Tony and Joe's on the waterfront. It's an awesome sight! There's the White House
    All very good suggestions. Here are mine:

Pick up picnic type food at Dean & Deluca on M St in Georgetown, walk south on Wisconsin Avenue over to the Harbor and enjoy the scene as the sun sets. There's usually a Georgetown crew team rowing past the harbor. Food at the Waterfront is blah & overpriced, however the drinks are good if you get the right bartender.

Take a stroll across the Key Bridge on a clear day and see Georgetown University, the Kennedy Center, the Watergate Hotel, Thompson's Boathouse, Georgetown Harbor and Rosslyn skyline.

The Air & Space Museum is my favorite. The National History is also fun.

Make sure to pop into Filomena restaurant. They make 8 different homemade pastas - you should make a reservation. I've met LeBron James, Bono, Clint and Ryan Phillippe & Rachel McAdams there.
    Have a drink or sip herbal tea at either the Ritz Carlton in Georgetown or the Four Seasons. You can see everyone (Dave Chapelle, JayZ, Beyonce, Conan, Eric Clapton, Madonna, Moby) and the drinks are thee best. Clydes offers a solid brunch & won't break the bank. If you like beer, make a reservation at Brasserie Beck, they have a beer sommelier and amazingly rare European beer. The best sushi in town is SushiKo on Wisconsin Ave in DC. Indian food is available across the street from the Four Seasons.
    If you want to hit the best bars, head to Adams Morgan. The best pizza is at Sette Osteria. Best burgers/Fries are at Five Guys locations all over DC. Best BBQ is Rocklands on Wisconsin Ave. My fave Ethiopian restaurant is Meskereem. Best kabobs are at Moby Dick.
    The only place to see a film is at the Uptown theatre blocks from Woodley Park metro.

If I've forgotten anything, send me a private msg.

Here are all the links:

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History NMNH

Dean & DeLuca - Washington DC

Rocklands HOMEPAGE

Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Brasserie Beck, Washington, DC - Robert Wiedmaier

Filomena Ristorante Georgetown - Washington DC

Clyde's Restaurant Group :: Restaurants:: Clydes_of_Georgetown

Taj of India, Fine Indian Food in Georgetown

The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown: A Luxury Boutique Hotel Washington DC

Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant - Adams Morgan - Washington, DC

Sette Osteria - Washington DC

AMC Loews Uptown 1 - Washington, DC 20008 - Zvents

Moby Dick's House of Kabob

Sushi Ko Restaurant
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Awesome you guys.

Great area! Haven't been in years, but everytime I do go, I have had a great time.

Lots to do/see, as so many others have pointed out. Smithsonian's are awesome, even if you aren't a big museum fan. And all the monuments, etc. It is such a huge part of our country, you cannot go wrong anywhere.

Have a great time! Post pics!

I'll post my blackmail photos of drunk and coked up politicians!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information