Thread: The anti-travel guide: 101 things not to do before you die

Default The anti-travel guide: 101 things not to do before you die

A unique travel guide is warning travellers to avoid 'once in a lifetime' experiences and world wonders ruined by tourists.

Can't Be Arsed: 101 Things Not To Do Before You Die points out that most "once in a lifetime" experiences will either end in disappointment or something much worse.
    Author Richard Wilson, the TV producer behind Have I Got News For You, has written a book which bears a slight resemblance to the cult 1999 travel guide, 100 Things To Do Before You Die co-written by Dave Freeman, who died after falling at his home last month, and Neil Teplica.
    But instead of marvelling at world sites, Wilson suggests avoiding places like the Taj Mahal and the Egyptian pyramids.
    Wilson writes: "Advice to anyone about to travel to Thailand is simple. Before you go, sort out a decent photo of yourself, preferably taken at a party smiling and celebrating the joy of being alive, because the newspapers and TV news bulletins will want something to accompany the article about your tragic death."
    Mr Freeman's book suggested taking a voodoo pilgrimage in Haiti, nude night surfing in Australia and competing in a yelling competition in North Carolina.
    However Mr Wilson's guide suggests avoiding the pyramids.
    He says: "One big disappointment is that they are right next to the ugly urban sprawl of Cairo. It's like turning off the Birmingham ring road and finding the Hanging Gardens of Babylon."
    And about Machu Picchu, he writes: "It's a 6,000-mile journey 12 thrombotic hours on a plane followed by a bladder-bursting seven-hour bus ride to see something you could watch Michael Palin climbing up on TV all in the company of the 400,000 intensely irritating gap-year students who think it's totally awesome, dude."

The anti-travel guide: 101 things not to do before you die - Telegraph

A*O

If I was going to give you a "Don't Bother" place it would be Uluru (Ayres Rock). It's expensive to get to, expensive to stay near an yes, it's a big grey (only red at sunset) rock. You can walk around it (9km) and ummmmm climb it if you don't mind pissing off the locals and ummmmm that's it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'd add Stonehenge. The kind of thing you can only stare at for maybe five minutes before you've seen all there is to see and it's time to go.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

But I want to see Ayres rock. And I totally disagree about Stonehenge. Granted, there's not much to see, but there is an amazing "feeling" to the place. If you want a don't bother place, I'd have to go with climbing the Eiffel Tower. Its pretty, but not really worth climbing.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    But I want to see Ayres rock. And I totally disagree about Stonehenge. Granted, there's not much to see, but there is an amazing "feeling" to the place. If you want a don't bother place, I'd have to go with climbing the Eiffel Tower. Its pretty, but not really worth climbing.
    Take the elevator then, much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If I was going to give you a "Don't Bother" place it would be Uluru (Ayres Rock). It's expensive to get to, expensive to stay near an yes, it's a big grey (only red at sunset) rock. You can walk around it (9km) and ummmmm climb it if you don't mind pissing off the locals and ummmmm that's it.
    I don't even know why people take pictures of it.

Advice to anyone about to travel to Thailand is simple. Before you go, sort out a decent photo of yourself, preferably taken at a party smiling and celebrating the joy of being alive, because the newspapers and TV news bulletins will want something to accompany the article about your tragic death."
    thats abit far out.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

At my highschool, the big year 11 camp was going to Uluru. Everyone was like OMG WERE GOING THERE!!!!111!ONEoneONE!!!!111!!!
    and I was like....
    how long is the bus ride there?
    stuck with a bunch of kids my age who I dont really like, rules and shit....fuck that i'll just take the week off school coz all my teachers went on the trip

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I saw Stonehenge from the motorway and that was fine with me. And to be honest, I've traveled ALOT and at the end of the day I just want to be in a cozy house in London, with my friends and family either nearby or a quick plane trip away. I doubt I would say this if I hadn't traveled so much but really, most things aren't all they're cracked up to be once you get there, most of Italy excepted. The food there rocks my world.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Stonehenge was a huge disappointment. It looked so big in pictures!

I always thought the Brandenburger Tor in Berlin, Germany, is really huge. I was really disappointed when I was there but Berlin is a wonderful city imo.

.....co-written by Dave Freeman, who died after falling at his home last month.....
    That's upbeat and positive.. sheesh.

Thread Information