Thread: Top 10 beaches of the world

Default Top 10 beaches of the world

Guardian Travel's Gavin McOwan has named his top 10 beaches of the world. See what he's talking about with our picture gallery and suggest your own top beaches on Been there, our interactive travel guide

1 / 10
    Nungwi Beach in Zanzibar Tanzania. Gavin McOwan writes: 'The powder-white sand is so fine it literally squeaks between your toes.'

2 / 10
    The Cook Islands, south Pacific. 'It takes forever to get to this coral atoll, necklaced by an azure lagoon.'

)

3 / 10
    Las Islas Cies, Galicia, Spain. 'The wilder, stunning Atlantic coastline of Galicia, just north of Portugal, has far more dramatic praias - with far fewer people on them.'

4 / 10
    Whitehaven Island, the Whitsundays, Queensland, Australia. 'For sheer, drop-dead gorgeousness Whitehaven is pretty special, with its super-fine, white silica sand surrounded by warm, clear azure waters'.
    Photograph: Tourism Australia

5 / 10
    Palawan, the Philippines. 'Although Alex Garland's backpacker odyssey The Beach is set in Thailand, he took much of the inspiration for the location from the Philippines.'

6 / 10
    'The western island group of Palawan, which even Filipinos describe as their country's last frontier, is inconceivably exotic and tropical.'

7 / 10
    Tayrona National Park, Colombia. 'I've never been as instantly impressed by a beach as I was the moment I set eyes on Tayrona'.

Arambol, Goa's northernmost beach. 'The spectacular sweeping stretch of sand is so beautiful it wins over even the most jaded and cynical of travellers.'

Porto da Barra, Salvador, Brazil. 'The location is stunning, at the entrance of the magnificent Bahia de Todos os Santos, with a small, white colonial fort at one end and a whitewashed church sitting up on a hill at the other.

10 / 10
    Sinclair's Bay, Caithness, Scotland. 'The white sand and sparkling blue sea of Sinclair's Bay look more like the Caribbean - at least when the sun comes out.'

Top 10 beaches of the world | Travel | guardian.co.uk

My family is originally from the Philippines, and I've always been told should I ever go back to visit, I must drop by Palawan. There's nothing like it. Hell, I don't care. I just want to visit any of those beaches listed.
    Rock the fuck on!

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Negril beach in Jamaica definitely deserves to be here. It's usually on the 10 best beaches' list...it's seven miles of white sand. Heavenly.

I'm surprised that i don't see the beach at Magen's Bay, St. Thomas, V.I. It is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to go back.

Sorry, I had a hiccup with my computer. Not sure how I posted twice.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I've been to the one in Spain. It really is gorgeous.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Cape Town isn't on the list, neither is Tulum nor Sri Lanka... This list is worthless.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    I'm surprised that i don't see the beach at Magen's Bay, St. Thomas, V.I. It is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to go back.
    I have been there also, and its gorgeous!

Hell, I'd go to any of these beaches! When we leaving?

That guy has never been to Greece..i could post pictures...those are beautiful beaches too..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

^^ Yeah, I was thinking that too. And what about French Polynesia?

They all look glorious in the photos, but my grandfather has been all over the world and swears that the Gold Coast, Australia, has the best beaches. And I just spent 45 minutes on Google trying to find a photo that does it justice, but nada! It has to be seen in person.

Thread Information