Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much money would you save for a vacation?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default How much money would you save for a vacation?

How much did you aim to save for your last vacation?
    How much did you end up spending?

Luxury vacation or budget?

Any particular activity that cost you a ton of money? Anything that turned out to cost less than you expected?

*From what I hear, the flights nowadays are actually cheap but they pile on the fuel surcharge so it cost the same as before when there weren't any seat sale*

When/Where?

How long did you take time off? Do you wish it were shorter or longer?

Did you go to a country where you don't speak the language?
    Did you need a guide or go on a tour?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

For my last vacation I saved up around $4,000.

I went to Darwin (Australia) late last year. It definitely wasn't luxury, but it wasn't budget either - somewhere in the middle

(basic breakdown + - )
    $1000+ on hotel for 6 nights.
    $600+ tickets back and forth
    $200+ meals and bar
    $300 tours
    Plus miscellaneous.

To be honest, I kind of wish I didn't spend the money I did. I wish I was a complete tight arse, or hadn't gone at all. I found that I only really enjoyed my time through the money I spent when I should have been enjoying the fact I was on holiday. I felt a little depressed at the fact I had spent money and not enjoyed myself. Plus I had to work twice as hard to earn the money back considering I wasn't given leave. I did go on several tours, some of which were great - it's always good to learn about the place you're visiting and I had a really cool tour guide.

I think I wasn't in the right frame of mind to be on holiday and didn't enjoy it. So my advice is make sure you do enjoy it. Or it will ruin everything about the trip.
    ssabmud

My rule of thumb for vacation spending is $100 a day. This is outside the US.

I avoid hotels, hate them. I rented an apt. in Prague, rented apt in Tallinn Estonia, I've stayed in small inns and pensions. I've done a couple of hostels but generally don't like them much.

It's dumb to spend a bunch of money on hotel rooms, when you're on vacation how much time do you spend in your room? Almost none. There's no point in dumping a lot of money into a room where you're only going to sleep, take a shower, and leave.

I try to visit places in their off season when accommodations are cheaper and more plentiful. You can easily bargain room rates down in the off season. I just show up in whatever city/town/country and go immediately to the nearest tourist information center and ask about rooms. This works in nearly all civilized countries.

I buy airline tickets when they go on sale. Usually the off season as well.

You will find that in most places some English can be found. The language of money is spoken everywhere .

The biggest mistake people make when traveling overseas is cramming too many places into their itinerary. Pick an area or a country that interests you and just wander around. No pressure.

Outside of America you will find good usable public transit almost everywhere. Local buses and trains, cheap and plentiful. Tours are a drag. Avoid them.

Some research is necessary before you go. Decide on an area. Get an idea of the geography and transit options. Look at accommodation options and usual pricing.

I've googled several vacations! You can do it too.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Save? Plan in advance? I don't roll thataway..

Havent plan a thing lately,but i will in the fall,then i ll tell you..lol
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Went to vegas for 5 days.Stayed at Mandalay Bay and between that and nonstop roundtrip airfare the trip cost $1600.

I budgeted $250 a day for food & drink.$60-$65 for tips.Budgeted about $80-$90 a day for amusements or cover charges.

Didn't use room service,mainly because because they wanted to charge $100 a night in advance,then credit back to you what you don't use.That's retarded,and there was plenty of places to eat.

It always sucks coming back to RL,plus we're broke now
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Come on Mrs.V,life is short..money and fish are better eaten fresh and so on..lol
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I tend not to budget then spend months paying off my credit cards from the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    It's dumb to spend a bunch of money on hotel rooms, when you're on vacation how much time do you spend in your room? Almost none. There's no point in dumping a lot of money into a room where you're only going to sleep, take a shower, and leave.
    I completely agree. I'd much rather spend the money seeing things I can't see at home or buying something unique to take back.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Completely depends on the vacation.

Done the big Hawaii trip--2 wks on 2 different Islands. Spent a LOT on that one. Since we live 14 hrs away, we were not about to stay at some second rate hotel, with a second rate view. Only good, ocean front rooms for us! It was awesome! And rented vehicles on both islands (convertible on one, SUV on the other).

Our typical vacation now is usually a week...and isn't even close to what we spent in Hawaii. Though, we usually drive to the beach (can be up to 12 hrs away) and alway (like Hawaii) stay ocean front, this is non negotiable. We will usually rent a house in North Carolina.
    Can range from 2-3 thousand for the week. Including food/gas.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

There was a segment on Extra or one of thoese entertainment shows about cheapy version of travel destinations. Like for example, you want to vacation in Thailand but it's cheaper to go to Vietnam and their beaches are just as gorgeous etc.

About hotel rooms....errr if you travel to a 2nd or 3rd world country, there's this issue of security and safety? I'd rather be safe and I don't want no stuff of mine stolen by the maids or anyone else so I think I'm inclined to pay for better accomodation.

Another question. Would you buy gifts for your friends/family back home? Or do you mainly shop for yourself when you are on vacation?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I always buy them crap.Then I regret it
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    There was a segment on Extra or one of thoese entertainment shows about cheapy version of travel destinations. Like for example, you want to vacation in Thailand but it's cheaper to go to Vietnam and their beaches are just as gorgeous etc.

About hotel rooms....errr if you travel to a 2nd or 3rd world country, there's this issue of security and safety? I'd rather be safe and I don't want no stuff of mine stolen by the maids or anyone else so I think I'm inclined to pay for better accomodation.

Another question. Would you buy gifts for your friends/family back home? Or do you mainly shop for yourself when you are on vacation?
    Thailand is a more tourist friendly destination than Viet Nam. Thailand is still way cheap and easier to get into than Viet Nam, no visa necessary. Visas are a major pain in the ass. And expensive. Viet Nam requires a visa.

I have learned the hard way to travel with one piece of wheelie luggage. One ONLY. Something I can can haul on ferries and buses and trains without killing myself. This is great because it limits 1) how many pairs of shoes you don't need that you want to take and 2) buying too many souvenirs that you have to haul another 5,000 miles. There's no place to put all those adorable copper pots and replica statues and ships-in-a-bottle.

Souvenirs stay small, very very very small. Each one becomes more precious because there will not be many.

After all, how many garage sales and estate sales have you seen full of vases and baskets and ugly crap that were clearly brought home from some long-ago vacation, dumped in the garage, and forgotten about? Vacations and traveling are about experiences and places and people, not about stuff.

I never travel Europe, it's just too damn expensive right now. And despite the dollar rate, the US isn't cheap either.

I usually buy a cheap flight to a third world country and then go from there. Always low budget.

The next countries I'm going to visit are Israel (Tel Aviv, probably in fall), which isn't exactly cheap.

Then in 2009 we might go to Jamaica, very cheap housing and food. High crime rate, though.

2010 I'm definitely going back to South Africa. It's usually a cheap country to travel (or very expensive, whatever you prefer), but it won't be cheap when the World Cup takes place.

I usually backpack. That means hostels, cheap train and bus trips. No souvenirs, except for me.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I've almost always lucked out on flights (flying overseas and to the US is generally quite reasonable - it's flying to non-tourist locations in Canada that gets me), and try to buy the tickets a month or more in advance so they're all paid for and the actual holiday costs will fall into a separate billing period (I pay for all vacation costs via credit card for security, and then pay it off in full; it helps to be able to pay for the flights one month and the other costs the next).

Vegas was a pretty cheap holiday, as you can find hotels at any price point there (and ours was still very nice, no pool though). You can eat and drink on the cheap, and then splurge on a nice show, Cirque de Soleil or a concert. No tempting souvenirs to speak of. Boston/Providence were decently affordable since there were no huge money-grabs or urgency to see amazing, expensive things. Mainly just walking around, seeing the sights, eating, drinking, shopping and spending time with friends. I imagine most US vacations would be similarly affordable/manageable on the cheap.

The Rockies were a great affordable destination as we drove out there, shared cabins with friends, and our only other expenses were food and drink - the activities, namely hiking and mountain climbing, were free. Next summer we may go to Eastern Canada and will probably drive as well. It saves a lot of cash, especially if you can sleep in the vehicle for at least one night.

In Europe, I backpack, hitch-hike (in Scotland anyway), walk long-distance, take trains, camp and stay in hostels and the occasional B & B. Definitely budget holidays. Dining and shopping can hit you hard in Western Europe, especially with our current exchange rate. With pounds versus Canadian dollars, for example, you have to remember that you're really paying twice what the price tag says - I don't stress about it too much (what would be the point?), I just pause and think to myself, do I really need a drink with my lunch?, or, do I really need to bring home Scotch from the distillery when I can probably buy it at home? That kind of thing. On our last trip we also saved money by renting a cottage with friends and cooking our own meals.

For bigger overseas trips, I like to have at least two weeks, though more is always better. I have yet to hop around between countries once I'm over there; I'd really like to do that, but it will have to be on countries linked by land (or ferry) I think, the internal flights weren't as cheap as I was hoping.
    Last edited by Tati; August 4th, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information