Thread: So, I'm coming to America from the UK

Default So, I'm coming to America from the UK

My boyfriend and I graduate this May 2006, so in around July time we have decided we are going to travel around North America, South America and maybe Canada for maybe two or three months. I know there are plenty of Americans on here so I wondered if you'd be able to help me out with a couple of things, and questions I have.

We're both so excited about it because we've never been before and can't wait to get there!

1. Weather We'll be flying from either Manchester, Leeds or London to New York at the very end of July. My boyfriend is desperate for us to miss our graduation date so we can come sooner and not miss the good weather in America, so I just wondered if anyone could tell me about the weater in America. How warm is it likely to be? Will it really make any difference to come later? What are the variations in weather across America?

2. Getting there Obviously we have done a load of research into finding the cheapest flights on the Internet, and since we are just booking one way, I ave found flights to be able 300 (ish). Does this seem about right to you?

3. Travelling around When we are actually there, what are the best methods of travelling round? We'll be 20 when we arrive and turn 21 after the first couple of weeks so I assume too young to rent a care. I've heard of the Greyhound busses.. How do these work? Are they the best way to get around, or is there another better method?

4. Places to see Any great places or states that you can recommend we visit? Even the most obvious places - it would be great to here about them so we can begin planning our route

5. Where to Stay We've heard that we must know where we are staying for the first night when we arrive since we won't have visas. Is that it? Can you recommend anywhere we should stay? Good quality but cheap chains of motels and lodges etc We're keen to share a bed obviuosly so no seperate boy/girl dormitory style accomodation.

6. Getting home Will it be relatively easy to sort out our flights back. Do American airports allow you to turn up on the day and join a flight that is leaving that day as long as you have your passport?

Is there anything else you think I should know about visas and the such like?

Thanks guys. Anything you can tell me would be a great help

Default Re: So, I'm coming to America from the UK

If you come into New York in July (I am in CT, close to NY) the weather will be very hot and humid. Not the nicest time to be in a city. If you are planning to go near a beach, that might be a nice time to do that. New York in the summer is nasty. You can travel by bus or train, they are both nice ways to see the country. Maybe there is a US version of Eurorail pass, I used those in Europe. There must be a similar one for the US. I will try to look for it for you. Plus then you can sleep (though not really well) on the bus or train. If you go to NY you should do all the tourist stuff, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island (where all the immigrants came through) is really interesting, lots of great museums in NY, I don't think you can go up onto the Empire State Building anymore, though. Also fun is a boat thar goes all the way around Manhattan (it's and island) called the Circle Line that shows you interesting cites from the water. That is kind of fun. Where all do you plan to go? There is so much here it would be helpful if I knew what states you wanted to visit.
    Keep passing the open windows.

I do think that most car companies do require youto be at least 25, so the bus would be a good idea. Amtrak train line may be a good way to travel, as well. Depending on where you plan to travel, it will most likely be pretty warm throughout the US. The South obviously will be much hotter and very humid. The west will be warmer, too.
    I have to recommend that you try to see some of the civil war monuments and battlefields. The one I really enjoyed was Shiloh National Military Park in
    Shiloh, Tennessee. It is an experience. Obvious tourist attractions like Niagra Falls and The Grand Canyon come to mind as well. Every state has it's own little hidden jewels...
    As far a hotels/motels something like Super 8 or Days Inn are pretty much everywhere...
    Hope y'all enjoy your trip and have a great experience! Let us know when you make more definite plans...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Great, thanks guys.

We're not actually sure which states we're hoping to visit yet. It all just seems so vast but my boyfriend is looking into it at the minute. Any suggestions anyone makes will definately sway us though.

It all depends on what you consider your level of comfort. I can personally spend a night in the $20-29 motel rooms in a crunch and not be TOO skeeved out, my boyfriend on the other hand does not have the same level of toughness that I do in that respect

Chicago is a fantastic city to visit. It has some of the biggest buildings in the world, and one of the best skylines I have ever seen (although I have never been to New York, so I can't give any kind of testimony about how it looks when you are driving into the city), it is still one of my favorite sites. There are some amazing museums as well. The Museum of Science and Industry is one of my favorites, simply because you have to have the little kid frame of mind while you are there. Most of the displays are interactive and hands on, and so much fun if you can have the right attitude about it. For the day after prom we did a "tourist" day in Chicago since the people who live there never take advantage of the great things we have in this city. We went to the Museum of Science and Industry, then the Shedd Aquarium (which is really cool and had just opened a shark exhibit at the time), then my favorite little hidden treasure sushi place (which if you hit Chicago and like sushi, I can let you know what its called and where it is), and a show @ Second City. Also, hit the Chicago area on a weekend if you choose to go. Friday-Sunday the Chicago based train system, Metra, offers what is called a "weekend pass". It is $5 for the entire weekend and you can ride as many times as you want. I took a lot of advantage of this in High School before I could drive. It is the absolute cheapest way to travel in Chicago and the Chicago area b/c that train goes just about anywhere and has stops near all the major sites to see.

Florida is ridiculous in the summer in terms of heat and humidity, but the good part is tourist season is over so you can visit for cheaper than if you did November-March.

My suggestions are that you see some of the major geographic landmarks - the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore etc. I'm an outdoorsy type of person, though, so most of my suggestions have to do with that.

My other suggestion is Chicago. I absolutely love this city, it is so beautiful and the people are very friendly. The architecture is amazing, the weather is great this time of year and there is so much to do.

Oh yeah, do some research on the car companies. I'm pretty sure some will let you rent a car at 21, but there are probably some heavy fees attached. Also, a lot of the major cities charge exorbitant fees for parking garages and parking otherwise is extremely limited.

If you go to Canada, you need to visit Montreal in the summer.. it's gorgeous. 1.5 hours away by car is Ottawa, the nations capital.. also very nice in the summer. Toronto is always fun, if less scenic.. it's the NYC of Canada.. then there's nothing, so it's best that you fly out to Vancouver on the west coast and skip the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and the right-wing christian fundie Alberta unless you like rodeos and bibles.

The eastern provinces are alright.. I would suggest Prince Edward Island among them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Summer in Vancouver is a lot of fun. I'd suggest to come here in August though since we have a lot of cultural festivals then e.g. jazz festival, pride/sunshine (gay/lesbian) festival, carribien festival, chinese night markets, Japanese festival etc etc. Vancouver is very scenic, we've got the beach and the mountains, you can do a lot of outdoor activities (e.g. hiking, mountain biking, roller blading, canoeing/hyaking, whale watching, our water is a bit too cold for swimming but a lot of ppl still hang out at the beach in the summer) and we have quite a few venders and street performers in the summer as well so it'll be fun to just walk around downtown. It probablly won't be too hot here in the summer, I'm thinking Toronto and Montreal would be hotter.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

omg san diego in california is the place to be in the summer! wonderful weather, seaworld, the beach, and its a sailing paradise.
    it is expensive here, though.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Avoid DC in the summer no matter what you do! Horridly hot and humid weather since it sits right on a swamp and the prices are tourist gouging. The hotel rooms go for astronomical sums starting at about $150 per night. Go off season.

There's a lot of temp difference in the summer here. In Virginia where I am the summers are hot but not unbearable. Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas as well as other parts of the South are too hot to do anything but either get drunk or stay inside until sunset before slogging out to sweat to death.

You could always do what me and Mr. Gator do, go to Northern Ontario for part of the summer, the weather is mild and it's beautiful.

^^^ I had to laugh when I read yours! When I read that they want to come in July to New York City, I was going to say just imagine Hell only hotter. THAN I thought of DC. hahaha. 10 times worse! Thomas Jefferson had a saying about DC when in was end of July and August. Something to the effect that it was hell and he would retreat to Monticello!

With that, yes the East Coast is a horrible time to visit during the summer. I agree with the person who suggested lovely and beautiful San Diego. Awesome.

It is not like how it is in Europe. You have to have transportation. Can't walk from state to state. You could but it would take you forever. I just don't want you to think you could like backpack here like you can across the pond.

With it being so hot, the weather gets rather crazy. We can have some mean storms. Electrical. Tornados. And don't forget the hurricanes. I would go west, my young friends.

I'm fond of Williamsburg because it's one of the few places in the U.S. that actually has character and an old historical feel to it, without being cheesy or not really that old at all. Of course, it is in VA, and therefore would be quite humid.
    And San Francisco is a-mazing (CA) with GREAT weather in July, as is Grand Teton National Park (WY). And Hawaii, if you want to spend another $600 on airfare.(!) Vermont is very beautiful, too, but again, quite humid.

Also forgot, in California there are Carmel and Mendocino, which are beautiful, artsy, and on the coast, and therefore not too warm and humid.

Please don't double post
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; December 30th, 2005 at 09:44 PM.

Thread Information