My boyfriend and I graduate this May 2006, so in around July time we have decided we are going to travel around North America, South America and maybe Canada for maybe two or three months. I know there are plenty of Americans on here so I wondered if you'd be able to help me out with a couple of things, and questions I have.
We're both so excited about it because we've never been before and can't wait to get there!
1. Weather We'll be flying from either Manchester, Leeds or London to New York at the very end of July. My boyfriend is desperate for us to miss our graduation date so we can come sooner and not miss the good weather in America, so I just wondered if anyone could tell me about the weater in America. How warm is it likely to be? Will it really make any difference to come later? What are the variations in weather across America?
2. Getting there Obviously we have done a load of research into finding the cheapest flights on the Internet, and since we are just booking one way, I ave found flights to be able £300 (ish). Does this seem about right to you?
3. Travelling around When we are actually there, what are the best methods of travelling round? We'll be 20 when we arrive and turn 21 after the first couple of weeks so I assume too young to rent a care. I've heard of the Greyhound busses.. How do these work? Are they the best way to get around, or is there another better method?
4. Places to see Any great places or states that you can recommend we visit? Even the most obvious places - it would be great to here about them so we can begin planning our route
5. Where to Stay We've heard that we must know where we are staying for the first night when we arrive since we won't have visas. Is that it? Can you recommend anywhere we should stay? Good quality but cheap chains of motels and lodges etc We're keen to share a bed obviuosly so no seperate boy/girl dormitory style accomodation.
6. Getting home Will it be relatively easy to sort out our flights back. Do American airports allow you to turn up on the day and join a flight that is leaving that day as long as you have your passport?
Is there anything else you think I should know about visas and the such like?
Thanks guys. Anything you can tell me would be a great help