Thread: Seaside, Florida

Default Seaside, Florida

Does anyone else go to Seaside? We used to go here in the summer, and it's amazing. Hands down my favorite place for a vacation.

It's basically a planned beach community. It has brick streets, white picket fences, and brightly colored beach cottages. There is a town square with a market and several shops. Across the street is a small shopping district that also has some bars and restaurants. There are pools (one is adults only) and tennis courts. Everyone rides their bikes everywhere, and there are sno cone and ice cream stands on the streets by the town square. They have an ampitheater where they show movies and a day camp for children. It really is the most peaceful, down-home place I've ever been. I can't find pictures to do it justice, but here are a few:

Some houses.

Our favorite cottage.

Inside Modica Market.

The Tupelo Street Gazebo

People enjoying snocones in the town square.

Shopping district.

Beach.

Last edited by southernbelle; May 10th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.

I've been through there quite a few times. It's a beautiful area, as is most of the FL panhandle. I've never seen sand as sugary white as it is in the panhandle.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

How cute! I wanna go!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

this is the town where the truman show was filmed... my ex lives a few towns up the road and i loved it there.
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

So I would bet it costs a fortune to live there or visit there. I have a feeling anyone without alot of money would be considered 'undesirable'.

Too bad because it really does look beautiful and picture postcard perfect.

Also costing lots of $$$$$/exclusivity, and 'downhome' are mutually exclusive. JMO.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

There are many options for people who want to visit Seaside. There are all types of people. While the large cottages can be expensive, many of them have connected or adjacent 1 or 2 bedroom bungalows that are significantly cheaper.

There are also townhomes in Quincy Square (the art district) that are less expensive than a cottage, and the Motorcourt Motel properties. Finally, many of the homes are suitable for multi-family vacations. I believe that some can sleep up to 20 or 30 people, and when you split the cost you can do a Seaside vacation for a very reasonable price.

Rainbow 3, the end of the Rainbow trilogy can be found in this garage-studio style cottage. The second floor walk-up makes for a cozy stay with its small sitting area with a queen bed and twin sofa bed, full sized kitchen and small dining table built for two. The bathroom has a shower only. This lucky find won't drain your pot o' gold, as it's economically priced for the thrifty Seasider!

i don't really like the idea of 'planned' towns/communities but any holiday by the sea is nice. and the houses do look kind of pretty, though a bit fake.
    i guess i'd just rather go to a real seaside town.

the only 'planned' seaside resort i like is sveti stefan, in macedonia. tito thought it was too pretty and picturesque to waste on real sailors and fishermen so he had them all relocated and turned the town into a holiday resort. instead of hotel rooms you can rent the beautiful old village houses.

St Stefan (Sveti Stefan) - Montenegro.com

Sveti Stefan, Montenegro* -* Travel Photos by Galen R Frysinger, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Wow, Sputnik! That is beautiful. It looks like it would be a great honeymoon location as well.

^^

i was there with my family and my brothers and they were such pains in the ass i'm sure they must have ruined more than one couple's romantic time
    beautiful place though you never quite get rid of the sensation of being in a weird kind of ghost town because it still very much looks like a real town but there are no 'real' inhabitants, it's all tourists and the resort employees.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    There are many options for people who want to visit Seaside. There are all types of people. While the large cottages can be expensive, many of them have connected or adjacent 1 or 2 bedroom bungalows that are significantly cheaper.

There are also townhomes in Quincy Square (the art district) that are less expensive than a cottage, and the Motorcourt Motel properties. Finally, many of the homes are suitable for multi-family vacations. I believe that some can sleep up to 20 or 30 people, and when you split the cost you can do a Seaside vacation for a very reasonable price.
    Well I guess I spoke too soon. Sounds good. And it is pretty. And the beaches in that area of Florida are supposed to be the best in the US.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

It's cute but it gives off that weird, plastic fake feeling, like walking through Disney World. Reminds me of the Disney planned community of Celebration. For some reason it really freaks me out. It just doesn't seem real.

^ I don't disagree, at all, but I think just the fact that planned communities get built up all at once can contribute to this feeling, without there necessarily being a creepy, underlying, phony "let's make everything the same and perfect and make sure it stays that way" intention.

What I mean is, while most towns develop slowly over time and are undoubtedly a bit more diverse, organic and varied, a planned community will obviously look and feel a lot more homogeneous for the first decade or so at least. But as long as council codes aren't overly draconian, and citizens are allowed to open new businesses, build new houses or additions on their old ones, and new people are welcome in the city, even planned communities will eventually look and feel more natural over time. And hopefully they'll at least benefit from thoughtful planning, smart road management, lots of green space and the like.

That said, I definitely agree that a lot of them are creepy and often started for reasons that irk me personally. But I can't be too hypocritical there, because I'd love nothing more than to found my own town!
    Last edited by Tati; July 6th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hit By Ban Bus!

those houses are soo cute!!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

the snow-cones pic is so cute

Thread Information