45. Terracotta Army - China
    46. Zermatt - Switzerland
    47. Angel Falls - Venezuela
    48. Abu Simbel - Egypt
    49. Bali - Indonesia
    50. Bora Bora - French Polynesia

2007 May BLISSFUL TRAVEL

Silver Member

We went to the Grand Canyon last summer (my third time, but husband's and kids' first time) and someone DIED while we were there (fell off). Not only did he see the Grand Canyon before he died, it was the last thing he saw. (And I am joking about it, now, but he fell right next to us, my husband saw it, we heard it all, and it was pretty traumatic.)

Think it's an interesting list, though, and the older I get, the less optimistic I am about seeing it all..

Quote Originally Posted by Cate View Post
    We went to the Grand Canyon last summer (my third time, but husband's and kids' first time) and someone DIED while we were there (fell off). Not only did he see the Grand Canyon before he died, it was the last thing he saw. (And I am joking about it, now, but he fell right next to us, my husband saw it, we heard it all, and it was pretty traumatic.)

Think it's an interesting list, though, and the older I get, the less optimistic I am about seeing it all..
    that's horrible!

niagara falls? really? *nonplussed*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I've done 6 of those.

2, 8, 12, 18, 27 and 37.

I personally don't like these sorts of lists- it's like top 10 'sexy' women--it is somebodies personal taste dictating to others what they think is good. I think it a touch obnoxious! Not to mention the carbon footprint you'd leave behind

There's a few places in the UK they've missed out on- the Lake Districts, Snowdonia, Cornish Beaches and Scottish highlands are all absolutely stunning places to visit before you shuffle off the coil for good.

I see the Pyramids every time I step off my balcony. Its funny that after awhile it becomes like "eh", its not even fascinating anymore, although it does provide a beautiful skyline, especially at sunset.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I was so afraid at the Grand Canyon, it's what my nightmares are made of.

I went to Venice Italy last year & Rome & cruise the Med. It was a dream come true & something I never thought I would ever get to do. I've got the travel bug in me now. Niagara Falls was a fun weekend away for my daughter & me. Some of these I can possibly visit......what a nice dream.

Only 5 for me. I have some work to do. I would be interested in how many hubby has been to since he used to sail the world with the British Merchant Marines then as a private captain.

Τhat is a stupid list..and not only because Acropolis is left out...
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I see the Pyramids every time I step off my balcony. Its funny that after awhile it becomes like "eh", its not even fascinating anymore, although it does provide a beautiful skyline, especially at sunset.
    But when you first saw them, it was awesome, right? Right? I so want to go to Egypt.

I think it is a stupid list, too. Las Vegas #7 of all the things in the world? Come on. I admit to having never been there, but come on.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    But when you first saw them, it was awesome, right? Right? I so want to go to Egypt.

I think it is a stupid list, too. Las Vegas #7 of all the things in the world? Come on. I admit to having never been there, but come on.
    I dunno. There's something to be said just for seeing Vegas. It's tacky, and everything, but it's just tacky on a large scale. As part of our vacation last summer, I dragged husband to Vegas for his first real visit (outside of the airport.) He hated it and never wants to go back (he didn't really want to go in the first place.) I told him, "Well, now you know for sure you hate Vegas, instead of just thinking you might!" He didn't think that was funny!

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
    I was so afraid at the Grand Canyon, it's what my nightmares are made of.

I went to Venice Italy last year & Rome & cruise the Med. It was a dream come true & something I never thought I would ever get to do. I've got the travel bug in me now. Niagara Falls was a fun weekend away for my daughter & me. Some of these I can possibly visit......what a nice dream.
    We are trying to do Venice this winter but hoping the dollar doesn't slide anymore.

I was nervous at the Grand Canyon to begin with. I had my kids with me for the first time, and a few weeks before I had actually read the Death in the Grand Canyon book that talks about all the ways people have died there. I was being extra careful- I had my toddler on a leash and still carried her. The other kids were on the buddy system and were required to stay way away from the edge. Once that guy fell, anyplace in that park was too close to the edge for me!! We were at the N. Rim and had been planning on doing the S. Rim a few days later... That was cancelled. It will be a long time before any of us go back. When I think of the park now, instead of the incredible magnitude of that place (indescribable), I hear that guy falling to his death. It's a great visit, but STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE!
    Last edited by Tati; April 1st, 2008 at 01:26 PM.

Bronze Member

You could add the "South Chinese mountain"!
    They are so beautiful that China Bank put it on the 20 Yuan banknote.
    (Photo here : http://www.chinese-tools.com/travel/greenlandinn.html)

I'm fascinated in a horridly morbid way.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Hubby has been to 14 of them. Several others, he had been to the country but not the specific location. We didn't count these.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Τhat is a stupid list..and not only because Acropolis is left out...

Israel also left out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information