Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotels - the world's best and your favourites

Default Hotels - the world's best and your favourites

Oberoi Udaivilas (94.36)
    Udaipur, India

Impeccable palace in marble, sandstone, and gold leaf, set on 30 lakeside acres of former royal hunting grounds.
    Stats: 87 rooms; 2 restaurants; 1 bar.
    Competitive Edge: The full package: idyllic setting, stunning architecture, and impeccable service.
    Rooms to Book: Premier Lake Views, for private patios that lead to a semiprivate pool.
    Don't Miss: Dinner for two on a floating pontoon in Lake Pichola.
    Cost: Doubles from $745.

Singita Game Reserve (94.30)
    Kruger National Park Area, South Africa

Four exceptionally well-designed lodges deep in the African bush.
    Stats: 45 rooms; 4 restaurants; 4 bars.
    Competitive Edge: Architecture, cuisine, and service that set the gold standard for bush luxury.
    Rooms to Book: A glass-and-timber cabin at Sweni Lodge, for river views.
    Don't Miss: Wine tasting in the 14,000-bottle cellar at Boulders Lodge.
    Cost: Doubles from $2,600, including meals, drinks, and activities.

Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace (92.15)
    Budapest, Hungary

Four-year-old hotel in an Art Nouveau building at the foot of the Danube.
    Stats: 179 rooms; 2 restaurants; 1 bar.
    Competitive Edge: Outstanding Art Deco interiors and a stunning glass-domed lobby.
    Rooms to Book: Danube Superiors with balconies with views of the castle; courtyard-facing Gresham rooms, for up to 100 additional square feet.
    Don't Miss: A Gresham Puszta cocktail (apricot brandy and Hungarian dessert wine) from the bar's extensive martini menu.
    Cost: Doubles from $450.

Four Seasons Resort (91.9)
    Chiang Mai, Thailand

Cluster of 2-story Thai pavilions—each with a covered veranda—surrounded by rice paddies in the idyllic Mae Rim Valley.
    Stats: 80 rooms; 2 restaurants; 2 bars.
    Competitive Edge: An unparalleled and up-country experience.
    Rooms to Book: Rice Terrace Pavilions, for expansive views and water buffalo sightings.
    Don't Miss: Learning how to prepare traditional Thai dishes at the on-site cooking school.
    Cost: Doubles from $502.

And many more at the link.

Source: Travel and Leisure
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

We had the second part of our honeymoon at The Four Seasons Hotel at Nile Plaza in Cairo (18). We had a balcony overlooking the Nile and in the mornings they would bring us a huge breakfast and we would sit outside on the balcony and people watch. We were booked originally in the Nile Suite, but changed to the Premier Nile Room, whatever that means. They had other options but they were too huge, we felt like we would never even utilize any of the space. They were very accomodating. The hotel itself is very gorgeous, the rooms are so ornate and beautiful. We stayed there for a week and I never wanted to leave. I'll have to post some pictures in a bit. We also go there every week or two to have a nice dinner, they have a great restaurant there called Spice. We've tried their other restaurants as well but Spice is the only one that we really enjoyed.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

A*O

I'm always a bit suss about these Top Hotels lists. You wonder how much they paid the website to basically advertise there. No Eurpean listings (apart from that place in London I never heard of) and Bucharest?? Nothing in the US expect Oregon and Hawaii Big Island??
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm surprised the Chateau Frontenac (which is the most photographed hotel in the world) and the Banff Springs Hotel aren't there. Actually none in Canada.

Here's the Chateau:

The Banff Springs:

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I've stayed at the 4 Seasons Hualalai and it's incredible. I highly recommend it.

Instead of a hotel, it's a series of bungalows, so you have TONS of privacy. It's perfect if you are a celebrity or someone who just doesn't want to deal with other people when you're trying to enjoy a vacation. The premises are amazing.

On Saturday nights, they have a beach bonfire buffet. They have cooks preparing all sorts of fresh food: sushi, desserts, fish, everything you could imagine, and they have Hawaiian music and dancing. The whole thing is lit by torches and candles.

My favorite thing was the lagoon where you could snorkel with sting rays and exotic fish.

(L-R, my brother, dad, sister, and me in the lagoon)

I have some other pictures of the hotel on another computer, I will have to post them later.

Yeah, this list doesn't make a whole lot of sense like the others said, there are definitely hotels missing. I guess it would be hard to be completely comprehensive, but what about the Burj Al Arab in Dubai? That was the first hotel I thought of before opening this list. You even get your own personal chauffeur and Rolls Royce upon checking in for your stay. That place is simply gorgeous and so extravagant.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^^
    or la mamounia in marrakech.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This has got to be bullshit. Here is the list of the 100 hotels:

2007 World's Best Awards | Travel + Leisure

Auberge Saint-Antoine is on there and I've never heard of it and it's in Quebec City. And yet still no Chateau Frontenac? WTF?

ETA: Bf says he's heard of it and it's a really cool hotel but still.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I do think some of these hotels pay to be included. I remember one time a few years ago the list was dominated by Ritz Carlton hotels. We've been to several of the Ritzes that were mentioned and really weren't overly impressed with the service or amenities. They were nice, but not in the same league as other places we'd stayed or even most of the other non-Ritz hotels that were recognized.We couldn't figure out how they'd managed to be included on the list.

the 1st one in India is a pretty good one.
    never been there but have heard quite a lot about it.

Dam you need to take out a second mortgage just to spend a night in these places. I guess 'best' include most damned expensive too.

I'm a Days Inn girl myself...just call me Sandy

Bronze Member

I stayed at the Château Frontenac two summers ago, and there was nothing special about it. Fortunately, since my mom works for the hotel chain we paid next to nothing =p. However, I must say that the restaurant was excellent (the service, the food, etc).

@ Mariesoleil: I've also never heard of Auberge Saint-Antoine.

^^^^
    it's near the musée de la civilisation. i've never stayed there but i've eaten at their restaurant, panache. it was excellent. what i saw of the hotel is pretty gorgeous too, more my style of luxury than the frontenac which is a little over the top.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    I'm a Days Inn girl myself...just call me Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Bunbury View Post
    I stayed at the Château Frontenac two summers ago, and there was nothing special about it. Fortunately, since my mom works for the hotel chain we paid next to nothing =p. However, I must say that the restaurant was excellent (the service, the food, etc).

@ Mariesoleil: I've also never heard of Auberge Saint-Antoine.
    That's too bad. I've stayed in another Fairmont and it was great. It's a very respected hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    it's near the musée de la civilisation. i've never stayed there but i've eaten at their restaurant, panache. it was excellent. what i saw of the hotel is pretty gorgeous too, more my style of luxury than the frontenac which is a little over the top.
    So it's in the Vieux Port. See I didn't even know that. Never heard of their restaurant either, I'll have to try it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information