Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motion sickness thread

Default Motion sickness thread

Wondering if anyone else out there is prone to motion sickness. I had several nasty bouts of air sickness when I was a kid. Once I was on an international flight, and everything was fine until we started readying to land. Right before we landed all of a sudden I started to feel queasy. My heart was racing fast, and felt clammy and then waves of nausea suddenly hit. It happened so fast I power puked twice, but each time I swallowed it (i know, yuck). It would have been a real mess if I didn't.

Another time I was on a Grand Canyon flight tour, one of those small ones. Again everything was fine until we started to land. Luckily I didn't hurl but it was the most miserable sensation.

Any small planes or helicopters will make me sick, boats not too much.

Nowadays, I think my tendency towards motion sickness may be mental so if I have to fly I take plenty of meds.

I have only encountered this in an IMAX theater, or watching "Cloverfield".

I have not had problems on planes, and have been in gliders, small planes, and jets, nor have I had problems with boats (cruise ship, to canoe).

I wonder why mine's only in a movie theater!?

i never got any motionsickness until i had my daughter. now, i cannot be in a passenger seat of a car. i can only fly if i take enough dramamine. and forget watching movies or tv like 24 with odd camera angles. disneyland and such? nope. i'm the one that sits at the exit of the ride and holds all of the packages until everyone gets off.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Mine has been confined to boats so far, specifically cruise ships. It's odd, because a boat that large, you wouldn't think it would be a problem, but both times I've gone on a cruise, I was sick as a dog. It may be sleeping on a boat that's the issue.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I used to get horrible motion sickness as a child. I outgrew it,thank goodness. I read some medical piece not too long ago (can't think where) that there was evidence those wrist band things you can buy for it at a drugstore really work. At least worth a try!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

God, yes. It's not consistent.. it's once in a while and without any prior warning.

When I went on a cruise to the Caribbean.. god that was a nightmare. I'd feel fine one day and the next I wouldn't even be able to get out of bed. Couple that with an overbearing aunt who *insisted* I go down to dinner.. 4 course dinner, mind you.. Lobster bisque, lasagna, beef wellington.. it was horrendous.

Then there are moments when I feel nauseous sitting in a car. I've found it's less severe if I sit in the front passenger seat, that way I can see outside, rather than staring at the back of the front seat.. otherwise I feel trapped.

Motion sickness sucks, but I've never taken dramamine or anything of the like..

dramamine is good. they are serious when they say dont drink with it. i did that before taking a flight back to san diego from denver. i laid down on the moving walkway so i could sleep. i dont remember it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

Sounds to me like this is more about anxiety than anything else. If you hate flying, being on a boat, being a passenger in a car anyway then the nausea is a natural reaction. The only time I ever had motion sickness was when my grandma used to ask every 5 minutes on a long car journey "Do you feel sick yet? Are you sure?? You will tell me if you feel sick won't you" so I began to wonder why I didn't feel sick and after a few minutes, lo and behold, I DID feel sick! Go Grandma!

But some people do get motion sickness (it's all about your inner ear and your balance mechanism) and those wrist bands are supposed to be effective, especially if you BELIEVE they work [wink]. Another good relief for nausea is ginger. Either chew some chrystallized ginger or nibble on a ginger biscuit.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It's kinda hit and miss for me mostly. Sometimes out on a boat it happens, on some long car rides, on fair rides (not rollercoasters though), every time i snorkle. Now, I keep on hand some tiny little round prescription pads that you stick behind your ear. My Dr. prescribed them for my last cruise, and they worked wonders. I have tried Dramamine, holistic wrist bands, but nothing worked until i found out about these pads.

Bronze Member

I get horrendously motion sick. I even got seasick on one of these;

http://www.adventureworld.net.au/Fil...23-001-184.jpg

Most embarrassing. Anyway I have loads of ginger when I'm going to be travelling, eating gingernut biscuits (cookies), gingerbeer, gingerale, ginger tablets etc etc. I make sure I avoid any dairy too.

Uhhh.. rollercoasters. I was heaving in a bush after I got on this baby SIX TIMES!

Superman Krypton Coaster.

It was probably more to do that I rode it six times in succession than an inner ear problem, though.

Ginger? I didn't know about that. I wish I had known before seeing "Cloverfield", it would have helped. I did just find out thought, that I've been fighting an inner ear infection, that might have had something to do with my recent problem at the movies.

A*O

Yup - inner ear infections = buggered up balance mechanism = nausea. Ginger does work, especially if you believe it works LOL. I still think that a lot of motion sickness is created by people worrying they are going to get motion sickness in the first place, perhaps after a previous bad experience- it's vicious circle. Having said that I've seen a couple of really experienced sailors get severe seasickness and it's debilitating as well as gross. These were big, beefy guys who became helpless, shivering, puking zombies for 24 hours. Bless.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I used to get horrible motion sickness as a kid. I think AO is right, it was probably made worse because my parents (and therefore I) always just assumed I was going to get it. But man, was it an awful feeling. As a kid I thought I hated "travelling" because I always just associated travelling with car sickness (it wasn't like we ever went anywhere cool, so...). Now of course, I love to travel and have gotten past getting motion sickness - I never did get it on planes. I have gotten a little seasick on boats, though it's fine if I can go above deck.

The trouble with nausea for me is that once I have it, it doesn't really go away for quite some time. So I can't just go on a roller coaster, feel a little queasy and walk it off. It'll linger for hours and I won't feel like going on any more rides. I wish I could just puke and get rid of the feeling, but I usually just end up feeling crappy. But at least it's only extreme stuff that brings it on now, cars and subways and planes are fine.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Bronze Member

Motionsickness has to be the worst feeling ever! I had it since I was a little kid -- could never go on the merry-go-round or carnival rides without being absolutely miserable.

When I was in 7th grade, our science teacher did a lesson on how the inner ear worked. Then, he took us to the gymnasium and sat each of in a chair that rotated and spun us fast for 1 minute. I got such a horrid case of motionsickness that the nurse had to call my Mom to come take me home. I don't think I could see straight for 24 hrs.

God - that brings back horrible memory. Even today, if I have to sit in the backseat of a car for any length of time, I'm miserable for the rest of the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information