Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolest country you've visited

Gold Member

Default Coolest country you've visited

As a person that hates travelling (I have only been to New Zealand), I am hoping the insightful, helpful people on gr can tell me their favourite countries and why.

Thanking you all in advance for your insights.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Hmmmm...love Italy, although it's a bit racist and the men truly are sexist mamma's boys (not all, of course, before someone goes bananas). But the food is great and I love the language. Scandinavia is great, although very expensive. Love most of the UK...it's weird, most countries have something to recommend them and something that is a drawback. Although France is the one place I don't love as much. Spain is fabulous, especially if you go off the beaten track.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I like Australia. It's beautiful and I like their strict immigration policies.

I thought Canada was nice but I was surprised to see that it wasn't as different from America and I was expecting. It was very pretty, though. We were in Victoria and Vancouver.

I know this isn't a separate country, but Hawaii was interesting. It really felt like a different country because the culture is so different. It was very touristy so at times that got old but I loved our resort and there were some really fun things to do (hiking on the volcanos, riding dolphins, snorkeling with eagle rays, sea kayaking)

Off all the places I've been, you can't beat Alaska for outrageous beauty. The people are nice, starkly individual. No one would bat an eye if you showed up in PJ's and fuzzy slippers. Natural beauty, better than Germany,Switzerland,Holland,France-your eyes are on overload.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I hate travelling too and have no desire to visit anywhere, so I'd have to say Scotland. Beautiful scenery and lots of space, and the accent

Gold Member

Thank you for sharing your favourite countries. If I can find a way to not be terrified of flying, I would love to go to England, Scotland, Wales, Canada and America.

I have 7 years to get over my fear of lying, as I want to take my daughter to Disneyland when she turns 10 and whilst over in the Northern hemisphere take myself off to Canada and to some other states in the U.S. I have been putting money away for it since she was born.

Thanks southernbelle for your kind words about Australia. I would love to see your part of the world, as the Texans that come over here are such beautiful and kind people. Not to mention their lovely voices.

With regards to out immigration, we have our racial problems like any other country. I think in Australia, after people have lived here for 2 generations, they start to assimilate better.

I think I will have to add Alaska to the list, as it would be good to wear my knitted slippers, and pajamas out on the street. Not to mention my own hand crocheted hat.

Thanks Honey for showing me I am not the only one that hates to travel.

Eli

England, America and Canada (the latter who I have never been to but they look so gosh darn wonderful in... most places).
    England I can vouch for. If it didn't sound so fruity, I'd say magical... Whoops!

A*O

Born and bred in England and NO desire to go back ever again. Australia really is God's Own Country. Love it. Canada is beautiful. Italy is very Italian which either makes you weak at the knees (me) or drives you crazy. Ditty France. New Zealand is a bit like Canada and for the same reasons.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have 7 years to get over my fear of lying, as I want to take my daughter to Disneyland when she turns 10 and whilst over in the Northern hemisphere take myself off to Canada and to some other states in the U.S. I have been putting money away for it since she was born.
    When I was about 12, my dad took me on a wonderful summer vacation. It was much like the trip that you are describing. We started in LA, then went to Disneyland. Then, we made our way to San Francisco where we visited Alcatraz, Lombard Street, Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, and 'Haight Ashbury' because my dad wanted to expose me to something totally different (there were a bunch of Hippies... I felt like I had been transported back to the late 60s). Then, we flew to Oregon, which is beautiful. We spent about a day there and then went to Seattle and to some of the islands off of the Washington coast. On our last day in Washington, we went white water rafting. Then we went to Victoria and Vancouver in Canada before flying home to Texas. The whole trip lasted about a week and a half.

If the weather permits, I would highly recommend that you take your daughter white water rafting in between the States and Canada while you are up that way. There are a ton of professional guides and rafting organizations that will take you out and it was one of the most exciting and exhilarating things I've ever done.

I hope that y'all have a wonderful time whatever you decide to do!!

We're going to take our kids to see California this summer. Many of the things you mentioned SouthernBelle. But we're also going to visit Hearst Castle. The pools there are to die for. It was all I could do to restrain myself from jumping in. The whole place was stunningly beautiful.

I do think when traveling to new places, a Bed & Breakfast is hard to beat. You get a wonderful local experience and lots of tips. Some even have discount arrangements with local diners,stores etc. You also get someone who takes real pride in your room,sheets,breakfast etc-not run of the mill.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Some surface things about the U.S. and Canada are the same, but I think if you stay longer than a few days and get to know people who live here, I think you will notice quite a difference. I've lived in both, and there are major differences in attitudes, word views, etc.

SVZ

Canadians don't lock their doors

Lol. I've got mine triple bolted as we speak.

SVZ

Mine's wide open, then again the apartment has security so it's not really an issue.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information