Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like the place you live?

Silver Member

Default Do you like the place you live?

I'm from Germany and I'd love to leave the country at least just for a while or forever. It's not that I think Germany sucks but I don't think it's the best place for me to live. I'd like to live somewhere where the sun is shining more often, where it's not that cold and rainy all the time and where people are a bit friendlier. But I don't know where this place could be...Well, I could only move to countries where English is the main language because I'm too lazy to learn a new language I was in the USA once, in Florida, and I really liked it. People are friendly, nature is just awesome and everything is so big (the streets, the parks, the houses) that you feel sorta free but on the other hand I don't think I could live in the USA because I don't want to worry about stuff like health insurance (the health insurance thread on this board really scared me off...700$ for health insurance, WTF?!) or being able to send my kids to college and I don't think it is a good idea to allow everyone to have a waepon. So the only countries left that come to my mind for emigrating are Australia or New Zealand. I really like the strict immigration restrictions which Germany lacks and nature seems just lovely.
    So how about you? Are you happy where you live or do you feel the need to explore the world for better places? Did anyone of you dare to emigrate? Was it difficult to adjust?

As long as you are gainfully employed, you employer furnishes your insurance for not so much money. I say Texas-I have lived all over including Germany. Dallas is fun and friendly with lots to do all year round! Give it a think!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love where I live. I have traveled a lot but can't imagine living anywhere else or raising a child elsewhere. I am in suburban Philadelphia. We get all 4 seasons but not to extremes. We have loads of fun and culture close by. We are just 2 hours to NYC and 2 hours to DC. We are 2 hours from the ocean and under 2 hours to the mountains. It works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    As long as you are gainfully employed, you employer furnishes your insurance for not so much money. I say Texas-I have lived all over including Germany. Dallas is fun and friendly with lots to do all year round! Give it a think!
    Not true in all cases. I have been at the same job for 14 years and still don't have insurance and it still costs and arm and a leg if the boss would pick it up for me.

I would like to visit Texas just once. I think it would be a nice place to live but my husband won't move out west.....He's afraid of tornados.

I live in NC and HATE it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Not true in all cases. I have been at the same job for 14 years and still don't have insurance and it still costs and arm and a leg if the boss would pick it up for me.

I would like to visit Texas just once. I think it would be a nice place to live but my husband won't move out west.....He's afraid of tornados.

I live in NC and HATE it.
    The trick is-work for a big company! Benefits alone (401k,etc) add and additional 10k to your salary. Do not work for a small company & expect it-they can't afford it!
    Tornados? We have a few,but I do not know a soul ever hit by one-ever!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

geneva, switzerland. has lots of advantages: in the top 3 best cities to live in the world (in terms of quality of life), close to everywhere else in europe, fantastic views of the alps, beautiful city centre, very international city... but it's also small, boring, crowded and very expensive.
    as a diplomat, it's a great place for me in terms of work (UN city) but i am craving a big city. New York would be great, especially since it has a UN as well. if i were to give up the multilateral stuff, i would love to live in Berlin, Montréal or London.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I love where I live. I have traveled a lot but can't imagine living anywhere else or raising a child elsewhere. I am in suburban Philadelphia. We get all 4 seasons but not to extremes. We have loads of fun and culture close by. We are just 2 hours to NYC and 2 hours to DC. We are 2 hours from the ocean and under 2 hours to the mountains. It works well for me.
    Aww, that sounds so nice. I'd love to live somewhere where I only have to drive a bit and then could go hiking in the mountains or swimming in the sea, but where I'm not too far away from the next big city.
    I'd really like to buy a flight ticket to New York and then travel through the US by car and then fly back from California. But the US is so big that I don't know which route I should take. I want to see Chicago, Boston, New England, the states next to the Mexican border including California of course, Las Vegas and New Orleans. But I'm a poor student and this sounds expenisive, dammit! How much is a gallon of gas in the USA? In Germany a gallon of gas is about 7$ which makes it impossible to travel by car. If you take the plane it's often cheaper than driving by car!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    The trick is-work for a big company! Benefits alone (401k,etc) add and additional 10k to your salary. Do not work for a small company & expect it-they can't afford it!
    Tornados? We have a few,but I do not know a soul ever hit by one-ever!
    My husband works for a very large company and his insurance is cheap but to add me on is not. I work for a rather small company but he can more than afford to pay my insurance. He brought in just over $125,000.00 just last week; I would think that would be more than enough.

I could never live anywhere but Georgia.

I live in NJ,it's awesome

gas is $2.91(at least it was yesterday)

I'm a warm weather person.Mr.V's parents moved back to Portugal,his brother is here.My family's here.Those are the only reasons we haven't moved.My parents are getting on,so I don't want to leave.But,someday we'd like to live in Arizona,we love it out there.

My sister in law wants to move to Myrtle Beach,SC in a couple of years,and wants us to follow.
    I'll always be a jersey girl at heart.(I have the 80s picture s to prove it)
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

So the only countries left that come to my mind for emigrating are Australia or New Zealand.
    Or Canada!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

If you're an outdoor enthusiast, may I suggest Jasper, Alberta, Canada? I lived there for two years and STILL dream about it, it was so beautiful! It's a tourist location, so there are plenty of high turnover sevice jobs. Also, there exists a hotel with union representation (unionized serving jobs!!!) and if you've got any form of engineering/mechanica/trades abilities, starting wage is $23 an hour. It's a dry mountainous area with lots of sun, snow, cloud, everything. We had a saying there "Don't like the weather in Jasper? Wait five minutes!"
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Except for the winter weather: yes.

Smallish city (Syracuse) that has a surprising amount of culture and is close to Canada, other big cities. The housing market is UNBELIEVEABLE here. You can get a seriously kick ass house for 200k. We definitely get all seasons here too, unfortunately winter seems to last forever, but of course it doesn't.

It has many many benefits. I literally was counting over the weekend how many people/families have moved away for whatever reason and MOVED BACK because they say this area has so much to offer. I lost count after 12...

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I like where I live but miss proper seasons so probably will not stay in London forever. Where we'll go is anybody's guess; we've lived alot of places already. We're easily bored.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Silver Member

Hmm, when does it get dark in Canada in winter? What really bothers me in Germany is that it is ALWAYS dark and grey. I don't dislike winter, but winter in Germany seems to be from October till March. It's not really cold where I live, it doesn't snow either, it's just dark and grey all the time and it's raining a lot. I hate this kind of weather, I find it so depressing. When I come home at 4 p.m. in winter it's already pitch black and I feel like the day is already over although there so many awake hours left. I think winter is nice when it's snowing and the sky is blue. How are taxes for your salary in Canada, the US, Australia or New Zealand? I couldn't find out. In Germany the state takes about half of the money you earned. As long as I am a student I don't have to pay any taxes on my income but when I have to, I will feel robbed! I know, we can afford a pretty good welfare system by all these taxes, but sometimes I think it's going too far. Why does the state buy unemployed people TVs, radios, furniture and stuff? As a student I am poor, too but neither would I get such benefits from the state nor would I have the guts to make such claims. It would be pretty strange to me to demand from the tax payer to give me a TV as I can't afford one. I'd rather pay less taxes and keep more of my OWN money and drop certain welfare benefits.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information