Thread: Help! Moving to New York/Boston soon(ish)

Eli

Default Help! Moving to New York/Boston soon(ish)

Yes, I will be in New York by May next year at LEAST. Moving with a friend to embark on any sort of career. (Might be in my friend's Hollywood movie- imagine!!)

Does anyone know of any websites where I can get a job in New York? Being Australian I can't just go on any regular US work-search sites and apply, I need to get special interns, etc. And have no clue where to find these!!
    Also, what are some things I'd need to know about New York. I've got the tip thing down-pat (the waitresses CAN hit you if you don't give them a tip), but anything else I'm clueless over.

Any help, as usual, would be insanely helpful, and as usual I will thank Gossiprocks in my Oscars speech.

Try careerbuilder and monster.com. Just type in New York and what kind of job you're looking for. They should have a lot of listings, especially since you're relocating. And you could try the online classified sections for the New York papers like The Daily News, The New York Times, and The New York Post.

And I don't know about the waitresses being able to hit you if you don't tip them. At the least, they'd just curse you out.

And the best advice I can give you about the Big Apple is have a thick skin. New Yorkers can smell weakness a mile away, and they will eat you up. But it's a great city to be in. Always something to do, legal or illegal, no matter what time of the day or night.

A*O

If you plan to live and work in America legally then the first thing you need is a Green Card? Good luck.........
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Eli

Only 3 months at the moment.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If you plan to live and work in America legally then the first thing you need is a Green Card? Good luck.........
    You don't need a green card to legally work here. Green cards are permanent resident visas. There are other types of work visas available; I'm guessing the H2B would probably be the best option for the OP.

A*O

My bad. I thought the OP was talking about a permanent move? Is it possible to visit the US on a work visa without getting a job first? People entering Australia as tourists are specifically prohibited from working.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

New Yorkers aren't mean (well maybe some are, but not all, if you ask anyone for directions they are usually more than happy to help), just busy and always in a rush, I think you'll love it. You can get whatever you want whenever you want it, and there's no waiting around for anything. And NY is also incredibly diverse, all different sorts of people from all different backgrounds. You will probably also see plenty of crazy/weird people, and eventually nothing will shock you anymore.

Random Tips- you're going to need a Metrocard, make sure to watch your belongings at all times, get a subway map, go to Soho for great shopping and if anyone gets up in your shit or tries to push you around (and on the subway you will probably get pushed or knocked into), just push em back- you have to kind of shove your way through sometimes. But don't get scared, because honestly the crime rate in NYC is way, way down. These days it's one of the safest cities. New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude, but it's completely not that way at all. People tend to listen to Ipods or read papers on the train and keep quiet, and if you need/ask for help they are usually very quick to do so. There was this guy who even leaped down to the bottom of the train tracks last year to protect another guy who was unconscious down there- and they both survived.

As for jobs I would check out monster (as King mentioned) or Craigslist

craigslist: new york city classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

PS- waitresses can't slap you if you stiff em, but be careful going back to the same restaurant again ..... you may get a little surprise in your meal
    Last edited by nycgirl; January 29th, 2008 at 02:02 AM.

My brother moved to NYC a year ago. He had to pay 5000 Euros to get his work visa. The embassies will not do that with you directly, you have to hire an agency to do that for you. One that is approved by the embassy.

So if you do find a job, ask your employer to pay that for you. They sometimes do that.

Also, New Yorkers aren't half as bad as their rep.

Rent is outrageous, so if you don't make a lot of money try Brooklyn, it has flavor and is cheaper. Not cheap, but cheaper.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My bad. I thought the OP was talking about a permanent move? Is it possible to visit the US on a work visa without getting a job first? People entering Australia as tourists are specifically prohibited from working.
    VWP tourists can't work. I think all of our tourist visas do prohibit working, though I think student visas allow part-time work. I think you have to have a sponsor for any work-related visa here; if the OP is serious about coming here and working, she should talk to an immigration lawyer about her options.

If she intends to live here permanently, the green card is not the only option; we do have non-immigrant visas with "immigrant intent" that can allow you to change status to permanent resident after a number of years. I work with a couple of Indians who went the H1-B to green card to US citizenship route. Getting a green card right off the bat is easiest, though; there are no restrictions on where you work or who you work for. Australian citizens are eligible to enter the diversity visa lottery; the OP could get lucky and get one that way.

Thread Information