Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are New Yorkers different than Californians?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Question Why are New Yorkers different than Californians?

Inspired by Raspberry gashes.... so I thought I'd start a thread.

I was born in Oregon but raised in California, so I'm basically a California girl/Oregonian wannabe
    I really do think variety is the spice of life, so the differences don't bother me. But I'd have to say that New York is a very intense urban place while California is more laid back largely due to the weather and the fact that it is much newer and less centrally developed than New York. That's just for starters.
    Last edited by Mira; November 13th, 2007 at 01:04 PM.

Are you talking about New York City or the State of New York?

I think for the most part any well-developed urban areas are all the same. I've been to NYC and the boonies of New York State and they're completely different. I've also been to L.A. and more rural parts of California I find the same thing, city folk are wired while country folk are more relaxed. You could say the same thing about any state; in Virginia the suburbs of DC are much more fast-paced and crazy while the rural parts are more relaxed. I grew up in Fairfax(a suburb of DC) and went to school in Blacksburg and the vibe is totally different between the two areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm assuming Raspberry meant NYC but I could be wrong.

I've never been to NYC, but I've been to L.A.

I'd never be able to handle living in either place.... just waaay too many people.

Guess I'm just a simple country girl, ya'll.

I went to school for a bit in NYC years and years back. My first day in Manhattan, I was walking too slow looking up at the Empire State building, like a wide-eyed newbie and some guy snapped at me to "Move my fanny" Now I was basically fresh off the boat from Australia so to speak, where "fanny" is slang for your vajayjay.. so I thought fark, wow they really do live up to their reputation as being brash here
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I grew up in Annapolis, MD...smack dab in the middle of Baltimore and Washington, DC. About 30 minutes to each city. Talk about the differences on those cities. Baltimore is much more artsy and laid back. DC is more fast paced, cultured and more "fashionable". Now, the town I lived in was small and snooze-ville Three cities, all within a 60 mile radius and all completely different. I think New York is the same. People in the city are completely different than people upstate, or the people in Queens, or the people just across the river in New Jersey.

Miami Beach was the most unusual place I have ever lived. Hands down. California is the most self-centered.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I went to school for a bit in NYC years and years back. My first day in Manhattan, I was walking too slow looking up at the Empire State building, like a wide-eyed newbie and some guy snapped at me to "Move my fanny" Now I was basically fresh off the boat from Australia so to speak, where "fanny" is slang for your vajayjay.. so I thought fark, wow they really do live up to their reputation as being brash here
    The first time I visited NYC it was the dark ages when the automatons first came in. We were starstruck about it, being from the white bread 'burbs of L.A. The people seemed intense to me. I think now that I would like the intensity of NYC, as long as it were only a visit. I'm a small city girl.
    Last edited by Mira; November 13th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

Oh i was surprised to see this as a thread title after I'd asked it in another thread. Thanks. Its interesting....

Venus, wow! I'd have been so upset and offended by that because of what 'fanny' means in Australia.

^^ lol, I know, being young and having a man tell me to move my fanny really threw me.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    That made me laugh so hard, Venus. Oh my stomach.

I can't answer the question because every Californian I know is a transplanted New Yorker. They are in Calif. for show biz, come to NY to see family and go home. When they come to NY they walk everywhere.

They say it has taken 10 to 15 years to get out of the NY head and slow it down. Their "stress" is indeed stress, but it can't be compared to NYC stress. I'm born and raised in NY, I know nothing different.

I hate NYC but I don't think I'd enjoy California either. I think I have the mentality of a NYC person (always rushing, not caring about anything except getting somewhere on time, always wanting to work, always wanting more money) but I live upstate so I'm not sure where I got that mentality from.

When I think of California I think everyone is all mellow and happy and getting plastic surgery and new shoes and that just doesn't intrest me.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^HELL no. That's not all what it is like. Not mellow AT ALL. Ever heard of complete freeway gridlock? We almost have it here in Portland even. The hours between 9:30 and 2:30 are the only somewhat reasonable hours. My brother who lives and works in L.A. says that now there is no time when the freeway isn't gridlocked.

^^Rush hour is starting at 6:30 am these days and going until about 8:00 pm. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic at 4:00 AM on the 405 freeway.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I know KrisNine, that just sucks. I hate what California has become. Anyway, I've whined about it enough on GR, this is probably the 100th time.

One thing I liked about NYC when I visited there many years ago was the fact that you could get a FULL MEAL at 4am - now that's a city!!

^^ You can't get full meals in California at 4am?

We even get that upstate!!
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information