Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.A. help!

Default L.A. help!

Hi everybody !

I wanna move in L.A. in about a year, but I'm really worried about everything. I actually live in Canada, so it's completely a new world for me.

I don't know anything about the cost for the electricity, water, ... you understand what I mean.

I don't know if there's a lot of job in this area for a Desktop Publisher and I don't know what is a good price for an appartment with two bedrooms (I would rent with a friend) ... and that is not SO shitty.

I really need your help to try to figure out if things are possible.

Thanks a lot !
    Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
    Marilyn Monroe

I just moved to L.A. and I've been looking for 2 BR apts in central L.A. and the Valley (where studio city is); I've seen decent, livable apts for $1600-$1800. A nicer 2 BR runs up to $2200. Anything over that I consider luxury type apts (which I've seen at $2700-$4000 on craigslist.)

You get more for your buck in the valley which I guess is not as fashionable or as much of a hot spot as central L.A. But I like it well enough.

When I find out how much utilities are I'll let you know. Maybe other posters who've been L.A. natives for a while can tell us both.

SVZ

LA is much much more expensive than Canada in general, but you'll usually make a higher living wage.

Gold Member

I am born and raised in LA, it can be a little over-expensive for some things. You may want to try the suburbs for living area instead of central LA, as it can be a bit less. Good luck with your move.

Utilities in SoCal in general are pretty high. We have to buy our power from other states and it's not cheap. Obviously, much higher in the summer months than the winter months. Also, much higher in the valley/inland areas than the coastal areas. The monthly costs vary depending on where you live, how conservative you are with energy, do you have a washer/dryer in your place. I guess in the summer (for a house) we spend about $175. In the winter, we spend about $100. Our phone/cable/internet are bundled together and we spend about $200 for all three. We have every, single channel known to man.

I'm getting ready to move up the 405 to LA from Orange County so we'll see how the prices change.

thanks a lot to all of you ... It stresses me out a lot more than before. But I don't know if some of you can give me an example of how much someone's paid per hour like to work in a clothing store or anything like that ?!

And if I take suburban, is there metro/bus that can help us to go downtown ?
    Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
    Marilyn Monroe

Gold Member

^ Public transport is not so hot here, unfortunately, though they are making a Metro bit by bit. I have no idea how much a clothing store job will be. Can you maybe save up a bit before you move so you have something to fall back on?

I thought about doing that ... but what if when I don't have any more money from those savings, I cannot pay my bills and everything ? ... I'm really, REALLY worried about all those questions.
    Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Goely View Post
    I thought about doing that ... but what if when I don't have any more money from those savings, I cannot pay my bills and everything ? ... I'm really, REALLY worried about all those questions.
    it might be good to secure a job down there FIRST
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think it would be easier if you had a friend here you could stay with while you find a job first, then an apartment. Look on craigslist for sublets. We typed "moving" in the search box and got a bunch of listings for people who are moving so they're much more likely to give you a good deal or discount.
    We got a great car that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I think it would be easier if you had a friend here you could stay with while you find a job first, then an apartment. Look on craigslist for sublets. We typed "moving" in the search box and got a bunch of listings for people who are moving so they're much more likely to give you a good deal or discount.
    We got a great car that way.

What's craigslist ? I feel dumb to ask.
    Marilyn Monroe

Gold Member

^ It's a site where people post jobs, apartments, art events, car sales, things like that. You may find it helpful for learning price ranges and things. And I quite agree with Grimm, you may want to lock down something first, before moving, as far as job goes. Happy moving to you.

Craigslist.com is a message board of classifieds for different cities.

The Los Angeles one: craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

hey ! thanks a lot to everybody. you're all really nice.
    Marilyn Monroe

I would definitely find a job first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information