Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The South" thread

Talking 'The South" thread

C'mon Southerners!(US) Let's have a 'tales of the South' thread! Inspired by the funny posts in the "Whoopi fucks up/Vick/dogfighting' thread.

What is unique and wacky about 'The South'?

Anti-/Pro South rants anyone?

Post it here!

..and exactly what are the borders of 'the South' anyway? I say that Chillicothe Ohio and most of south-central Ohio are definitely THE SOUTH! and that Cincinnasti/Censornati/Cincinnazi is the Northern-most Southern city in the country!(can you tell I am not a fan of that particular place?)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Very deep south here and Ohio is Yankee territory.

I consider the south to be the panhandle of Florida (the peninsula is not southern), Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas.

I don't consider Kentucky or Virginia to be the south, so Ohio is basically Canada to me.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Very deep south here and Ohio is Yankee territory.

I consider the south to be the panhandle of Florida (the peninsula is not southern), Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas.

I don't consider Kentucky or Virginia to be the south, so Ohio is basically Canada to me.
    So you are saying that southern Ohio and Cincinnati are not southern but just redneck racist backwards conservative cousin-fucking Yankee trash??..uh..nevermind.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I associate the South with sultry weather, lots of delicious fried food, mint juleps, brilliant, eccentric writers, To Kill A Mockingbird, soft charming accents, people who do things verrrrrry slowly and always ask "who are your people?" Then there is the dark side of lynchings, murders, poverty, intolerance, ignorance and "backwardness."
    Last edited by pacific breeze; September 4th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.

A*O

I consider the south to be the panhandle of Florida (the peninsula is not southern), Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas
    As a dayum forner I associate these states with The South.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I am Southern and damn proud of it! I love the soft molasses like drawl and the wit that keeps you in stitches while telling the most ordinary stories. Where family stories are legend & the first thing people want to know is "Whats you name, who's your Daddy "so they can track kin. Where my Aunts actually say "Hush your mouth!" to each other. Where you are welcome and fed outrageous dishes that fancy restaurants can only dream about.Where children still say "yes'm" and "yessir",men still rise when a woman returns to the table and elderly are adored. Every family has batty relatives & they are entertained with other guests without comment. No one is stashed away-we all have 'em. Where people say "What kind of Coke you want-Dr Pepper or Sprite". Laughter is a God-given right and telling stores is an art form.Where people love telling a good story on themselves and know Yankees underestimate us-leading to more laughter.Where you can walk in a store and leave feeling like the most beautiful person on earth-because they love to give compliments and mean every word-most of the time! With big ol' trees and pretty flowers are expected.Lord, for these and all other blessings we are grateful.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^That's damn purty, McJag. Almost like a prayer. I forgot to mention the legendary southern charm and wit. How could I have forgotten all those beautiful manners? And the best hospitality I have ever received.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; September 5th, 2007 at 12:17 PM.

^^ omg that is the best description of the south. i am also southern and i really enjoy having a bbq while the race is on(i dont watch it but my fam does) and everyone just popping open a beer while the kids run around and swimming and the hurricane parties ok i am kidding about the parties but they are fun when a major hurricane is not coming. i love the smell of cut grass and the sound of the waves splashing on the beach and a never ending horizon as you look out onto the blue diamonds of the sea. the fresh seafood always wins over the frozen stuff.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I associate the South with sultry weather, lots of delicious fried food
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Where you are welcome and fed outrageous dishes that fancy restaurants can only dream about.
    I love to eat, I would become obese very quickly in the south I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet and sexy View Post
    I love to eat, I would become obese very quickly in the south I bet.
    You might-we would call you "heavy set" as if it could not possibly be your fault!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I could never rival McJag in her descriptive prose about the south, but damn I do love it here. It's too late & my brain is too foggy to come up with any good stories right now but maybe later. And while I want to travel extensively, I never want to live anywhere else.

I've also never had a mint julep in my life. I'm not sure what that is. I do know that sweet tea (iced) is de rigeur.

Mmmm, I love the south. My boyfriend has the sexiest Louisiana accent, and I just hang on his every word...
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You might-we would call you "heavy set" as if it could not possibly be your fault!
    That sounds nice, and not my fault. I'd be the one sitting near the desserts. Do you guys have good desserts?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet and sexy View Post
    That sounds nice, and not my fault. I'd be the one sitting near the desserts. Do you guys have good desserts?
    Oh lawd! Just name it-pecan pies,silk pies,buttermilk pies,Peach cobbler,banana pudding,pies with mile high meringue or cris-cross crusts, 7 layer cakes, Lord AND Lady Baltimore cakes,Devils food cakes, yellow cake with chocolate icing,coconut fluffy frosted cakes,French lace cookies,date bars, fig cakes,stuffed dates,sugared pecans,fried pies made with pears or apples out of your back yard or apricots,Ambrosia (orange segments,cherries,shredded coconut)pull taffy(great fun for everyone),shortbread cookies...I can't name them all. To go with it-fresh hot coffee with whipped cream, cocoa with marshmellows,hot tea with honey or sweet iced tea. Or all. OH-Molasses cookies with sugar on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Mmmm, I love the south. My boyfriend has the sexiest Louisiana accent, and I just hang on his every word...
    Is he one of those slow talking, slow handed, blue-eyed ,black haired Cajuns? Oh lawdy-you are beyond help! Most of them are top notched chefs,too.With or without dimples?
    Last edited by Tati; September 5th, 2007 at 06:57 AM.

Neeeeeeeee-ha! A thread about the South! I miss sweet tea and Sonny's BBQ

Grew up in northern Florida, which might as well be an extension of southern Georgia. Now that I've moved away I keep my Southern roots alive by talking like a redneck for fun (extra funny coming from a Mexican girl ), and by remembering all the good southerners I got to know in the 18 or so years I lived there. Oh and I generally request they "Play some Skynnyrd" at any concert I attend. Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post

Hahahaha that's funny cause when I go up to Yankee territory they call me a southerner and say I have an accent, which I don't thank you very much. I consider the south to be the states that seceded from the union during the Civil War. I was a history major so that fact has been ingrained in my mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information