Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.A. people: Best places to live in Los Angeles?

Question L.A. people: Best places to live in Los Angeles?

L.A. residents, I need recommendations on nice, safe, chill places to live (rent) in L.A. Husband's job is considering the possibility of relocating us there, and if they do we'd have to move within a matter of 2-3 weeks. So we need to start our research now just in case.

I've never been to L.A. but just tooling around on the internet and Craigslist, we're thinking about the Silver Lake area. What's that area like? Also considering Echo Park and heard that Eagle Rock might be a good up-and-coming neighborhood. We used to live in San Francisco and loved the Castro/Mission area, and Cole Valley, if anyone's familiar with those.

We'd like a diverse type area but most importantly, it should be safe since I walk my dog at night. Husband's job would be in North Hollywood area, so nothing too far away from that.

Where would you guys live (within a working/middle-class income) if you could move?

Thanks for any input!!
    Last edited by Beeyotch; July 5th, 2007 at 09:12 AM.

Silver Lake is really a cool area. You may also like Los Feliz and parts of Hollywood (like Beachwood Canyon).

Gold Member

There really isn't a "best" area in LA, all the different areas have great things to offer. Also one street could be gorgeous and clean and the next a dump, it's weird like that. If your hubby is working in North Hollywood, I think Studio City/Toluca Lake/Burbank are your best bets. Alot of people who work in the entertainment industry start in that area and then move on once they get to know the different areas of LA better.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Yeah, my boyfriend does a lot of work for the studios and we were going to live in Studio City. We wanted a house with a yard and those were about $3000-3500. Lot's of them had pools. Apartments are about $2500 in Studio City.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Dang. $2500 is really pricey. I don't know why I didn't expect rent to be so high in L.A. Especially considering I've lived in the highest rent cities for the last couple of years. I think I just wanted a break from $1000+ monthly rent!

We did see some nice places on Craigslist around Silver Lake for under $2000. Like 16-1800. I really didn't want to go over $1600. Which is still astronomical, but what are you gonna do, it's California and it's a major city. Well, besides shop around and apartment hunt a lot!

Gold Member

When I first moved to LA I lived in Burbank for a year, it's a nice affordable place. I think you can find an apartment for much less than $2k if you were interested in that area.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

You can find almost any price range...we just needed the space and two parking spaces. Good luck!! This is really exciting

Burbank, it reminds me of The Price Is Right, they always mention they film in Burbank. So must a lot of other TV shows I guess.

And ah yes, parking. We haven't had a car for 3 years now and I must say it's been nice saving on gas and all. Now we'll have to get 2 cars at once if we go. That will be something else to deal with, the legendary LA traffic. Do most apartment/condos charge extra for parking spaces?

As for space, it's just me, hubby and 1 medium dog. We'd be looking for a 2 bedroom ideally. Right now we're living in a 780 sq. ft. place and it's just right. I'd love to live walking distance to a park for dog walking....
    This is exciting, guess we'll know in a couple of weeks if we're going for sure, I might have to pm you guys for further advice!

Yeah, you should be able to find something. If I were you, I would get into something short term until you find exactly what you want. A lot of realtors work for you for free here and take the fee from the landlord. Definitely PM me if you want more advice LA is so dog friendly, there is even a great dog beach in Orange County that you guys can drive to on the weekends.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg ok safe is going to cost you; I think you can find something if you start looking now for your price range - and btw congrats! although Im sure you'll miss Spain!

Culver City is up and coming and Santa Monica is nice of course but spendy and has a lot of homeless issues....but the location is amazing. the marina del rey area is cool too but the apartments that are already there have cockroach problems b/c they're all old and by the ocean air but a lot of new places are going up. I always recommend beach cities b/c i like them but i know theres a lot of nice inland areas for young couples. try Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters too!

That sucks that safe is gonna cost me, but I guess it's worth it in the end. In SF I lived right in between the Castro (very nice, gentrified area) and the Mission (trendy and interesting but still scummy and not too safe in patches.) And I had problems with homeless/drug addicts who just thought nothing of smoking crack or sleeping on my front stoop steps. So yeah, it sucks but paying more for safety is worth it to me.

That is the one thing I'll miss about Spain, there are very few to no safety issues besides making sure you don't get run over by traffic. And no worries about getting mugged in my neighborhood either. I guess no-gun laws are good for that. But other than that, thank God I'm going back to the U.S. I've missed it so much!

MMM YEAH for a young couple who wants energy I would suggest silver lake and los feliz and that whole area where ppl are always out and about doing stuff b/c the beach cities are kind of sleepy; i just realized that last nite on a saturday nite and not much was going on unfort. it was kind of lonely actually...but also culver city, although its kind of surrounded by sleepy family neighborhoods so its "energy" is kind of centralized and its only known for its restaurants right now, those other neighborhoods i mentioned have a lot going on entertainment wise and they're really warm in the summer. last summer living where i live; i didnt really feel like i even had a summer even though places inland and in the valley were in the 100s!

My friends live in Los Feliz and Silver Lake. Those are the only residential areas I've been to and they are fantastic.

Not sure if it's still there, but have breakfast at the Coffee Table. Great coffee and great menu.

Okay, definitely moving. Painfully soon too.

So another question: Is Glendale considered "The Valley?" And is the valley as deserving of its kitschy reputation as a not entirely desirable place to live? Is it the heat, the commute, the unrelenting suburbia feel of it? Anything I ever learned about the valley has to do with the valley girl stereotype of the 80's, which I suspect might not be the most accurate thing to go on

Also, what is the North Hollywood area like? How safe is it, is there a general demographic?

yeah its the valley and its hot as fuck in the summertime. but if you like the heat, thats ok then. and its going to be a major bitch to drive to and from there if you work in l.a. but live in the valley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information