Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is America really "all that and a bag of potato chips, girlfriend"?

Eli

Default Is America really "all that and a bag of potato chips, girlfriend"?

I just obsess over America like there's no tomorrow... have done since Power Rangers when I was 8, lol. Anyway I love US TV and music and movies and the places are beautiful and what not... and shamefully, when I see Americans I flip out like they're friggin' celebrities.

Actually a funny story if I may interslice: Last year a busload of Americans came to our town (poor, pathetic people!) which is a country town, and me and my friends went across the road to a cafe to buy a drink, and were watching them sitting with their luggage and books and what-not (oh yeah, their bus had broken down) and we were REALLY obvious, like loud and gazing out the window forcefully and our convo went like this:.... thankfully, I remember all due to later unforseen trauma:

Me: "Oh my God, AMERICANS! Do you think they'll be weirded out if I go and ask them stuff?"
    Kate: (friend) "Yes. Of course they will."
    Me: "No they won't. They're nice. They're always nice. They're the nicest ever."
    Kate: "Seriously? They're a bunch of wankers. They only think about themselves. Look at them all, reading their books like as if they're still on the bus. I mean don't bother looking at your surroundings or anything."
    Me: "Well so what, I love them! If I could marry America, I would."
    Then suddenly a girl is kind of near us smiling weirdly across the room. We look just as a flash goes off. Oh, an American girl smiling for a photo near a bunch of her friends, sitting at a table right next to us. Seriously, my hand was an inch from one of the seats. We looked, they looked up at us. So obvious they'd heard our convo.
    Me: (frozen) "Quick, pay and let's leave."
    Kate: (frozen) "Okay."
    Kate then drops the lid of her drink bottle.
    Me: "Quickly, pick it up."
    Kate: "No. Can't move. Still watching us. Argh. Let's go."
    And we rushed out.

aaaawwwkwaaaarrrddd

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, is America really as nice as it seems?? It'd be nice to know. Thanks!

It's what you make of it. And it's huge so it can vary. It can be beautiful or foul, the people can be the absolute stereotype or the best people you could want to meet. I've lived in several different states and the "culture" can be quite different.

I think because of the sheer size there's just a lot here - it depends on what you define as nice. Some of the rural areas are incredibly beautiful and the people wonderful, and some of the cities scare the hell out of me.

Funny how the grass always seems greener; I personally daydream a lot about Canada and what it's like, and think if I could manage to move there I would.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

funny you mention this cause I think ppl from England are so effing cool. Like you're all as funny as stephen fry or something!

Allie-come on over! Mostly, anyplace is fun if you are living there!
    We've got LOTS of opportunities here-in any direction. I find it quite fun. Can't speak for the whole country, but in Texas or the South you would be quite a hit! An Aussie would be a highly prized guest, employee, friend,mate-just trotted about and showcased everywhere!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

I find that if you observe and mingle with 'the natives' in their own territory they are usually friendly and charming. Once they become tourists in other peoples' territory they become obnoxious. This applies to ALL nationalities.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It does vary wildly from region to region, but in general I find Americans to be hospitable, friendly and easy to get along with. I get frustrated sometimes with their lack of knowledge of the rest of the world -- especially their neighbour to the north, since we know all about them -- but it takes all kinds. The big cities, especially L.A., aren't very friendly, but in general, I've always met nice people everywhere I've gone in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Allie-come on over! Mostly, anyplace is fun if you are living there!
    We've got LOTS of opportunities here-in any direction. I find it quite fun. Can't speak for the whole country, but in Texas or the South you would be quite a hit! An Aussie would be a highly prized guest, employee, friend,mate-just trotted about and showcased everywhere!
    just make sure you learn spanish before you get here.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gawd..

While I was in Curacao, we went to the beach.. they have people who rent out beach chairs and get drinks and whatnot. We arrive there, and there's this nice blonde dutch girl collecting fees for the chairs, and we politely ask her the prices and such.

Right then this gaggle of sunburnt, LOUD and pastel wearing men come around the corner and start yelling drink orders at this girl, calling her honey.

She sighs, and I whisper to her "Americans?"

She giggles and nods, looking exhasperated.

So we get our chairs, and i start unfurling my beach towel.. it's a Canadian flag. The girl asks us where we're from, and we answer 'Toronto!'

She gasps , claps her hands and exlaims "Oh i LOVE England, it's so cool!" then wanders off.

good times.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^As an American, I HATE Ugly American Syndrome. Obnoxious, loud, calling people "honey" and expecting them to be at your beck and call. It's always so cartoonish and unreal that people really act like this.

Allie I think your account of your Encounter with Real Live Americans is hilarious! So cute how you are so interested and curious in wanting to find out about all things American. If I had been in that group of tourists I would've talked to you no problem if you had approached me. Most people are happy to discuss where they come from and compare/contrast to where they're visiting. If you're polite I don't think you'll have any problems, try it next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Gawd..

While I was in Curacao, we went to the beach.. they have people who rent out beach chairs and get drinks and whatnot. We arrive there, and there's this nice blonde dutch girl collecting fees for the chairs, and we politely ask her the prices and such.

Right then this gaggle of sunburnt, LOUD and pastel wearing men come around the corner and start yelling drink orders at this girl, calling her honey.

She sighs, and I whisper to her "Americans?"

She giggles and nods, looking exhasperated.

So we get our chairs, and i start unfurling my beach towel.. it's a Canadian flag. The girl asks us where we're from, and we answer 'Toronto!'

She gasps , claps her hands and exlaims "Oh i LOVE England, it's so cool!" then wanders off.

good times.
    You British devil, you!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    funny you mention this cause I think ppl from England are so effing cool. Like you're all as funny as stephen fry or something!
    Aww sweet. We obviously aren't but still sweet. I love Fry too

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    ^^As an American, I HATE Ugly American Syndrome. Obnoxious, loud, calling people "honey" and expecting them to be at your beck and call. It's always so cartoonish and unreal that people really act like this.

Allie I think your account of your Encounter with Real Live Americans is hilarious! So cute how you are so interested and curious in wanting to find out about all things American. If I had been in that group of tourists I would've talked to you no problem if you had approached me. Most people are happy to discuss where they come from and compare/contrast to where they're visiting. If you're polite I don't think you'll have any problems, try it next time!

I have to totally agree with bee on this one. There are rude, self centered people no matter where you are. I know my friends and I have a fave bar ... the bartender is Lithahuanian (sp) ... anyway .. he seems to LOVE the women here... I live in a small resort town so I think we get many people from all over... since our waterpark is pretty well known in many states and countries. I am polite to tourists because they are here having an adventure.
    Even if they dont understand the culture locally ... they understand international kindness... I take pics for people anytime I am out ... since they all want to be in the pic ..

As an American, I am proud, but I am not obnoxious. I can be hypnotized by a British accent, if it is coming form someone with curly hair and pretty green eyes...wait..

Anywho, every bunch has bad apples. We are not different.

Eli

Wow. Thanks guys. Good to know!
    I almost don't want this thread to end, because it was one of the most interesting things I've ever read on the net...
    Keep talking about your countries! Lol.

P.S.: Honey, I also long to go home to England even if it is cold.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I find that if you observe and mingle with 'the natives' in their own territory they are usually friendly and charming. Once they become tourists in other peoples' territory they become obnoxious. This applies to ALL nationalities.
    Exactly.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information