Thread: Very cool: Loch Ness monster makes a comeback

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Very cool: Loch Ness monster makes a comeback

EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) -- Like tartan, bagpipes, and shortbread Scotland's Loch Ness Monster is as much an emblem as a tourist draw.

And now Nessie's back.

An amateur scientist has captured what Loch Ness Monster watchers say is among the finest footage ever taken of the elusive mythical creature reputed to swim beneath the waters of Scotland's most mysterious lake.

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this jet black thing, about 45-feet (15 meters) long, moving fairly fast in the water," said Gordon Holmes, the 55-year-old a lab technician from Shipley, Yorkshire, who took the video this past Saturday.

He said it moved at about 6 mph (10 kph) and kept a fairly straight course.

"My initial thought is it could be a very big eel, they have serpent-like features and they may explain all the sightings in Loch Ness over the years."

Loch Ness is surrounded by myth and mystery, as it is the largest and deepest inland expanse of water in Britain. About 750 feet (230 meters) to the bottom, it's even deeper than the North Sea.

Nessie watcher and marine biologist Adrian Shine of the Loch Ness 2000 center in Drumnadrochit, on the shores of the lake, viewed the video and hopes to properly analyze it in the coming months.

"I see myself as a skeptical interpreter of what happens in the loch, but I do keep an open mind about these things and there is no doubt this is some of the best footage I have seen," Shine said.

He said the video is particularly useful because Holmes panned back to get the background shore into the shot. That means it was less likely to be a fake and provided geographical bearings allowing one to calculate how big the creature was and how fast it was traveling.

While many sightings can be attributed to a drop of the local whisky, legends of Scottish monsters date back to one of the founders of the Christian church in Scotland, St. Columba, who wrote of them in about 565 A.D.

More recently, there have been more than 4,000 purported Nessie sightings since she was first caught on camera by a surgeon on vacation in the 1930s.

Since then, the faithful have speculated whether it is a completely unknown species, a sturgeon -- even though they have not been native to Scotland's waters for many years -- or even a last surviving dinosaur.

Shine doubts that last explanation.

"There are a number of possible explanations to the sightings in the loch. It could be some biological creature, it could just be the waves of the loch or it could be some psychological phenomenon in as much as we see what we want to see," he said.

But Nessie isn't just an icon of the paranormal -- she's also an emblem of Scottish tourism. She has been the muse for cuddly toys and immortalized on T-shirts and posters showing her classic three-humped image.

The Scottish media is skeptical of Nessie stories but Holmes' footage is of such good quality that even the normally reticent BBC Scotland aired the video on its main news program on Tuesday.

New Loch Ness Monster video - CNN.com
    Although it kind of creeps me out, I love the fact that no one can really prove or disprove whether or not Nessie exists. I'm off to find the video.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^^Excellent! Thanks!

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Not very impressive really, I was hoping for more...

I remain a believer.

--Sinclair Lewis

I don't, I think there would have been a body of a dead one found at some point.

It's an interesting story though.

I suspend my disbelief on this one.

--Sinclair Lewis

Well, about the whole dead body (or lack thereof), it could be similar to killer whales, who simply sink to the bottom of the ocean when they die, and become fish food.

Recently, a dead killer whale was washed up on the shore of Nootka Island, an island off the westcoast of Vancouver Island, and the marine biologists were really excited because they said it's so rare to have access to a dead killer whale.

With the Loch Ness being deeper than the North Sea, it could be a similar situation.

Although, I don't believe Loch Ness exists I'd love it if it did though!

Silver Member

ewww ewww ewwww
    I have an irrational fear of the Loch Ness Monster...lol
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im a believer bitches!

OCK

Apparently Loch Ness doesn't have a lot of life in it, at least not enough to support a colony of large (whale sized?) animals. The only way they would be able to survive is if they can go out to sea to feed. Does the lake lead to the ocean? If it does large animals could be swimming in and out of it.
    ~~~Jesus please save me from your fanclub~~~

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ he comes out of the water too and eats small dogs and stuff like that you know, haven't you seen that episode of the X-files?!

LOL. Alice you are funny.

Thread Information