Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 41 places to go in 2011 (Santiago is Number 1!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    ^ My girlfriend described Patagonia as "the most beautiful place in the universe".
    it's certainly the most beautiful place i've ever been, so far.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    come visit! i just got back from patagonia and i have to say, it is just magical. some of the most incredible landscapes i've ever seen and, though this might all be in my head, you get a certain 'end of the world' feeling when you're there. not end of the world like apocalypse but like you're literally at the end of the earth, and you almost are. there's a certain sense of desolation and isolation but it only adds to the beauty of the place.
    That's what I loved about Cape Town. You look out in the ocean and you can actually see the Indian ocean and the Atlantic clash against each other, and you know there is nothing between you and Antarctica. Not only does it look like the end of the world, it really does feel that way there, too.

That's why I always wanted to see Patagonia, it's even further down.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

yeah, that's how it feels down there too. finis terrae. everything seems extreme. even the landing in punta arenas was weird. the airport is right next to the magellan strait so the wind is insane and the plane gets whipped around and you feel like you're in a flimsy matchstick plane rather than a boeing. i think a third of the plane puked after (and even during) that landing, i've never seen so many green faces. i've never seen wind like that, not even during the worst snowstorms in canada. there was another night in torres del paine when i felt the wind was going to rip apart our refugio and blow us off our bunk beds.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd never heard of the design firm 157-173designers mentioned in the blurb about Salonica but their website is very funny.

Depressing, I think I've only been to 2 of these places (3 if you count the Danube, I've lived in Vienna for 2 years but I've never been in a cruise on the Danube).

I wish I could afford to visit most of these places. I just adore traveling. Chile is definitely a possibility. A very good friend of mine is married to a Chilean and I have seen their pics from Patagonia. Amazing. I would love to visit if I get the chance.

My next planned trip is for Bilbao. It may not be in this list but it looks gorgeous from the pics I've seen and everyone who has been there loved it.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yeah, that's how it feels down there too. finis terrae. everything seems extreme. even the landing in punta arenas was weird. the airport is right next to the magellan strait so the wind is insane and the plane gets whipped around and you feel like you're in a flimsy matchstick plane rather than a boeing. i think a third of the plane puked after (and even during) that landing, i've never seen so many green faces. i've never seen wind like that, not even during the worst snowstorms in canada. there was another night in torres del paine when i felt the wind was going to rip apart our refugio and blow us off our bunk beds.
    this.

there was something about landing at that airport that told me i was in someplace, i don't know how to say it, extreme?? i live in a beautiful place but there was something special about chile. maybe it was the contrasts - mountains, glaciers, farmland, extreme rain/wind, green fields but also bleakness.

^^^
    i think that pretty much sums it up. and i think the south is incredibly beautiful, even the bleaker landscapes you see driving around where it's all windy fields and sheep that blend into the grass and a lone house every so many kilometres. but i also know people that it made uncomfortable, who thought there was something too isolated and desolate about the place. me, it umade me want to go back and rent a car and take a road trip throughout both chilean and argentine patagonia. i want to go all the way to the end.

czb

^^^ yes, i know what you mean.

the drive to the south end was so cool!

i forgot to mention that when we landed at punta arenas, there was a lone aeroflot plane that looked like it was circa 1970. it was rickety and kinda scary looking . . . at the time, that plane did the once a week flight to antarctica. there was something about seeing that beat up plane alone at the hangar that made me feel like i was in another time. can't describe it.

i have a lot of good memories from that trip. sorry i didn't take more pics.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I learned to drive on Orcas Island in the san juan islands happy times... beautiful place too!

love miami beach baby!

someday i'll visit some of these places are nearby, but besides having a phobia of flying, im also just a homebody

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information