Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is your city to you?

SVZ

Default How important is your city to you?

Basically if you were offered a higher paying job in another city would you pick up and move?

A lot of my friends coming out of university, did not want to stay in the city and moved all over the place, in some cases even small towns. I'm probably one of like 4 who's in the same city.

I'd like to move (to New York, Boston or somewhere in California) but I don't really want to go broke from doing it.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Basically if you were offered a higher paying job in another city would you pick up and move?
    In a heartbeat. Moving costs are a one-off and living expenses would be defrayed by the higher salary. People who've moved around and experienced life and work in different places are much more interesting.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    In a heartbeat. Moving costs are a one-off and living expenses would be defrayed by the higher salary. People who've moved around and experienced life and work in different places are much more interesting.
    I think so too, it really gives you a wider perspective on things. I think every North American should go to Europe at least once, the pattern of life is so different and there's much more history there as well.

I would move in a second. As soon as I complete my master's, I will start applying for position out of my state entirely.

Hell yes. I never seem to get too attached to anywhere. I'm the kind of person who is always thinking about other places she could be, or wishing to be somewhere else.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Love to move, love to live in new places, so yes, would do it in a second and have.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

You have to step outside your comfort zone-kinda scary for some.
    You owe it to yourself to TRY-you could aways move back.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

City, country, whatever-I'd have no problem packing up my bags if a good opportunity came along. I get restless when I stay in one place for too long anyway.

i've been moving around my whole life and can't imagine what it must be like to be born and grow up in the same place your entire life. it seems so weird and surreal to me and yet i realise that's the case for most people.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^It is the case for alot of people and some really like it, while others feel stifled by it. I sometimes think it might be better for my kids to be a bit more rooted in a community, but then again, they wouldn't have the experiences they've had so far, which are invaluable. And they don't complain so I guess it's working so far.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i've been moving around my whole life and can't imagine what it must be like to be born and grow up in the same place your entire life. it seems so weird and surreal to me and yet i realise that's the case for most people.
    Same here. I can see that a hometown could be a very good thing, but it just seems so odd to me because it's so far out of my experience.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It would take a lot to get me to move from where I am. I love it here, rain and all. There are a lot of negatives (unemployment, high gas prices, rain, clouds, etc.) but I still like it. However, I do have an adventurous spirit so I would probably say OK what the hay.

I'm European, and I've just returned home after a year and half living and working in Madrid, Spain. To leave, even though the excitment is huge, is hard. Very hard. To comeback, is even more complicated. I feel as if I don't fit here anymore, yet I've missed everyone and even this damned city like crazy.

Still, it's a wonderful experience. I've met people from all over the world, and I've made friends for life. I've lived in a fantastic city, who has a bit of everything, and I earned good money I must add, because in the end, that is always very important.

I'd say, everyone who is up for a challenge, do it. Expand your horizons.

Hell no. I live only 3 miles from the place I grew up and have no desire to move. I would like to stay in this city the rest of my life.

However...

I would like to have 4-6 months off every year..and plenty of money ...to travel extensively and spend some serious time in other parts of the world. But this place is home. And a 'better salary' would not be much of an incentive at all for me. It would have to be a very large amount of money.

* Oh and just because I have no desire to live in many different areas does not mean I am not an intelligent, well read, multi-faceted and overall fabulous person, thank you very much! *
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I agree Soj I would love to travel but I am a weirdo who likes her family and they are all here so I have no desire to leave.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information