Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritating expats

A*O

Default Irritating expats

I spend the Easter weekend in the company of some Brits, Americans and Aussies who currently live in Hong Kong and Singapore. They were loudly whining about how hellish their lives are in their lavish apartments (paid for by the company), the daily grind of telling the live-in maid what to cook after she's done the laundry and the housework, the endless round of cocktail parties at the tennis/yacht/cuntry club, the dink in the new Merc after the driver swerved to avoid a poor person, the 'cost' of private education (also paid for by the company BTW), blah blah blah. I wanted to scream at these lazy, selfish twats to get over themselves. One woman was bleating about how she just couldn't get 'decent help around the house' and had worked her way through several agencies trying to find someone who 'won't steal the silver or use the phone when I'm not there'. Bitch. I suggested that perhaps she'd be happier if she cleaned her own house, cooked her own meals, did her own laundry, raised her own kids but she said that would be impossible because 'these people NEED people like me to employ them'. Unfortunately she has a point but do these overworked and underpaid peons need The Arrogant Attitude too?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Sounds very much like some of the folks at DC parties I've attended. Same boring convos with the spouses of the power elite. Same song, different stage and still grating. You have my sympathies.

I'm sorry, how the hell do you not simply walk away from a party like that in mid conversation, shaking your head?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Are these people your friends, or is it just business?

Better yet-how do we get their jobs? I would promise not to complain! And do everything in my power to support the local economy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

This is what's stopping me from finding a job as a nanny. I would love to clean someone's house and take care of their kids, but I'll be damned if they're going to treat me like garbage while I do it.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'm sorry, how the hell do you not simply walk away from a party like that in mid conversation, shaking your head?
    I usually back up smiling vacantly and say, "Ummm, ahh, I have to go over there now.." Can't say anything ugly that might impact the Mr's job. Now I just don't go with him.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Not everyone does. I know these kinds of people and just laugh at them. I loved having a nanny but bent over backwards to treat her well. The result? My kids treated her the same, we all cried like babies when she left and we keep close contact with her and her husband.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    Are these people your friends, or is it just business?
    Absolutely NOT my friends! Just people who attended the weekend party (our hosts have recently moved back to Oz after 2 years in Singapore so they know lots of expats). I didn't even tell you about the men's pissing contest about who had the best salary and 'perks' package from the company (car, airmiles, pension, c.card) and who had the hottest secretary. They openly brag about going to titty bars. Rich white trash. The men are assholes and the women are lazy, bored bitches. Actually it's this type of person and their shocking attitudes that brought our hosts back to Australia. They, particularly the wife, just couldn't stand being around these people any more and unfortunately in those far flung places it's pretty much impossible to avoid them because the whole Expat Lifestyle is still the norm.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    This is what's stopping me from finding a job as a nanny. I would love to clean someone's house and take care of their kids, but I'll be damned if they're going to treat me like garbage while I do it.
    Around here with the rich,rich,rich you could name your own ticket and set your own rules. Most accept Nanny's as the Final Word. One Nanny I know (quite young,too) decided her little charges were under stress and sent their BILLIONAIRE parents off to marriage counseling!
    And they went,meek as lambs! lol Dallas might be your best bet. One other lady I know-a certified Teacher was hired by a multi-millionaire and world-wide known preacher. Her charges had to wear uniforms at home school, but the travel! They would go to any city in the world-first class & she & charges would have a limo & driver take them to all the museums, plays etc in that city. With bodyguard,yet!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    One other lady I know-a certified Teacher was hired by a multi-millionaire and world-wide known preacher. Her charges had to wear uniforms at home school, but the travel! They would go to any city in the world-first class & she & charges would have a limo & driver take them to all the museums, plays etc in that city. With bodyguard,yet!
    And the meek shall inherit the earth........... sheesh
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    And the meek shall inherit the earth........... sheesh
    No joke! But think of the money we would have if we never had to pay tax! Like him!

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    I was a nanny all throughout university for two fantastic families. They never showed my anything but respect and were thankful to have found someone so trustworthy. I made good money doing it, and it was a great work environment.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^You sound like the part time girl we have now, who is sadly leaving in order to have a life. I would trust her with my life and am helping her get a job through some friends, simply because she is one amazing person.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Wow. Before I read the entire post I was going to pipe up about how hard it is to be somewhere away from one's family, friends and everything familiar, so that the complaints might be justified. But these people aren't irritating because they're expats, they're irritating because they're rich, obnoxious assholes!

Btw, I didn't know people actually still utter the cheesy "It's so hard to find good help" line with a straight face. Wow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information