Thread: Has anyone been to Belize?

Default Has anyone been to Belize?

So my SO and I are thinking of going to Belize for our honeymoon. We know what we like in travel - variety, diversity, a mix of relaxing (beach, resort) and adventurous (diving, hiking) things to do, local culture and food, cheap places to stay, and we enjoy roughing it a bit, though maybe not for the entire time.

We were looking into Central America and Belize seems to have everything we want: Mayan ruins, amazing scuba diving, coral reefs, good, inexpensive food and drink, music and dancing, two islands aside from the mainland, each with a slightly different vibe (according to books and such), and an excellent bus system throughout the country so we can get everywhere by hiking and bussing.

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm or deny of this information, and if you had any suggestions on things to see or do, places to stay, etc. We're thinking we'd like to find an all-inclusive resort for either a 3 or 7-day stay (and we don't know where to start there, all of my info is of the "on a shoestring" variety thus far), then take off and live from our backpacks for another week or so - we may even consider flying into Mexico, doing the resort there then heading to Belize so we'd get to see both. I could also use some tips on roughing it in a hot climate - we've only done it North of the equator, and I'm sure there are different concerns to keep in mind.

We'd like to go in December/January of '07-'08, as that gives us time to save some extra money, lets us use some of our paid holiday time off work and save that way, and also gives us something to look forward to long after the wedding is over. Is this considered prime time for a tropical destination? Is that a terrible thing, or is it just prime time for a reason? Any words of advice?

Thanks, any info is appreciated.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

i've been to belize and it's great if you want to be by the sea, visit mayan ruins and hike, kayak, etc... in terms of culture and great food and even more spectaular mayan ruins, guatemala is a better choice (and i'm not saying that just because it's my country). there's really not much in belize, there aren't even any real cities... but if you have time, from belize you can easily cross the border and visit the rio dulce region in guatemala. it's spectacular, incredible rain forests and a huge natural park, a huge river and lake system right by the atlantic coast. i spent new year's there and i've been several times and it's amazing.

Rio Dulce, Guatemala
    Dulce River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I was in Belize this past December. Dec/Jan is definitely a popular time for tourists, especially mid-December. Prepare to battle with the cruiseships, they all go to Belize during that time. There were I think 3 ships in port the day I was there. I LOVED it though.

I definitely recommend going cave tubing while you are there, it was one of the best times I have ever had on an excursion. There's a company that does it independent of the cruise ships but in the same location. Their website is Belize Cave Tubing with Cave-Tubing.com - Masters of the Caves

Thanks you two. We just may consider seeing both Belize and Guatemala in that case.

If anyone has any other details they can offer, it's greatly appreciated!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I've been to Belize and Guatemala and can recommend both. Rio Dulce is breathtaking. If you do go, pm me.

I loved the Mountain Ridge, Barranco and Belmotan. And Belize City is cute, too. But I liked Guatemala much better. Everythin from Antigua to Lago Atitlan.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Silver Member

Hi!
    I was in Belize two years ago. It has some nice places, but I wouldn't stay too long. First we went to the Cayes (Caye Caulker and Ambergris). They are really nice to look at, but they are SO dirty. People throw just everything into the sea, so that you can hardly find a clean place to swim. (In two weeks I swam one time...)Food and Drinks in Belize are quite expensive because they have to import everything. I think they have their own brand of beer, but it's very expensive (and disgusting).In "restaurants" you have to pay double the price than the locals.
    Belize City is a very disgusting dirty shithole. The water is soiled and everywhere lie poor people on the streets and try to convince you to buy something from them or beg you and when you don't give them anything they'll get angry and start following you and offending you. There are signs at the fences which say, that they don't want PEOPLE to shit or piss in front of their houses (some do it anyway). Then we went to Monkey Bay which was quite nice, but boring. Our last stop was Crooked Tree which claims to be a nature reserve. But after we paid our entry fee, we noticed that it was a huge dumpster. I have never ever seen such a dirty place in my whole life. There were hundreds of old rusty cars, heaps of million of empty bottles and everyone threw their litter everywhere. The locals weren't friendly, either. They kept calling me and when I ignored them, they started shouting "Fuck you, stupid bitch". If I weren't with two guys, I would have been pretty afraid. After about two weeks we headed back to Mexico. I liked Mexico and the Mexicans MUCH better. Mexicans are just so much nicer, IMO.
    But Belize really has a great landscape and great temples, much better then in Mexico. Besides you can go everywhere by bus and this is very cheap. You gotta see the zoo of Belize! It's the best zoo I've ever seen. It's small but very beautiful. The reefs are very cool, too and you should do a canoe tour. Well, the only thing that bothered me in Belize were the people...But of course not all of them sucked, but the Belizians are number three on my personal list of most annoying people (after Marrocs and Tunisians, I would never ever go there again!). So I can recommend Belize for a short visit, but then I'd go somewhere else.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have a friend that sails there every year. He and his girlfriend love Belize.

I went to Belize a few years ago on a cruise. Wasn't enjoyable for us at all. We got off the boat, walked out of the terminal and were immediately offered various drugs by some guy that looked like he just climbed out of a sewer, smelled like it too.

Walking through town was very sad, as the people are very poor. Like another poster said, there were people just randomly laying about. Piles of excretement all over, obvious human excretement.

My brother in law was offered the "services" of a 13 year old girl and when he didn't reply was harassed all the way down the street.

Then on the way to cave tubing, the tour guide warned us to keep a very close hand on my 3 year old nephew. That he was a prime candidate for kidnapping because we were obviously Americans. We immediately asked him to turn around and took our asses back to the ship.

I will say though, it was very beautiful outside of the glaring poverty. The vendors set up in the port were all very friendly.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    I have a friend that sails there every year. He and his girlfriend love Belize.
    Ooohhh, how romantic

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow Tati; that sounds like a great idea! I would totally consider the same thing for my honeymoon!!! Is there anyway you can tell us how much a trip like that costs? and will you pleeeeease share pics?! and congrats again on your marriage!!!!!

Your honeymoon, Alice? Is there anything you want to tell us?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

no, my bf's been begging me to marry him is all

I'll definitely let you all know what we decide and all the details! And I'm back, by the way. I'd been stressed beyond belief for weeks, and for nothing, really. Everything went off without a hitch. We - and all our guests - had a great time at the wedding (and after-party) and being married rocks! Well, it's basically the same as before, but you know what I mean.

We've decided that if we do hit that region, it will be for Belize and Guatemala both, thanks to the suggestions here. But we may look into other options yet.

- Kahlil Gibran

omg awesome! i cant wait to hear about it!!!

Thread Information