Thread: Boston: Possibly moving there...

Default Boston: Possibly moving there...

My boyfriend has a great job opportunity that might take him to Boston...this opportunity would include taking me Do any of you guys live there or know of great neighborhoods that we should take a look at if he decides to take the job?

Somethings to keep in mind...we're in our mid-thirties, so we aren't really concerned with a party scene. We have a big dog, so we would prefer a rowhouse/townhouse instead of a highrise. More parks, restaurants and coffee shops than bars and clubs...that kind of thing...

Anyway, any info would be much appreciated

good luck driving down there. boston has the worst, most agressive drivers.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I know! It's awful! I was only a passenger, which can be worse sometimes. I grew up on the east coast (DC area) so, I'm hoping I can start to use the public transportation again.

Elite Member

well i am sad as we won't be able to commiserate over earthquakes anymore haha..no but seriously, i don't know anything about boston..hope you like it there ..

I saw a program on Boston on one of those real estate channels and they were showing properties in a neighborhood called South End.

Looked really hip and trendy with nice old rowhouses and condos being renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
    well i am sad as we won't be able to commiserate over earthquakes anymore haha..no but seriously, i don't know anything about boston..hope you like it there ..
    Well, it's not 100% yet. It looks promising....but I'll really miss California.

Quote Originally Posted by Born In A Brothel View Post
    I saw a program on Boston on one of those real estate channels and they were showing properties in a neighborhood called South End.

Looked really hip and trendy with nice old rowhouses and condos being renovated.

Thanks...that's the sort of place I'm looking for.

Charlestown also has some nice rowhouses as well. I live here, born and raised so if you have any questions, just ask!
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by FashionVictim View Post
    Charlestown also has some nice rowhouses as well. I live here, born and raised so if you have any questions, just ask!
    Thank you!! It's looking more and more like we may end up in Boston and I'm getting pretty excited.

We have a big dog...is it a pretty dog friendly city? I don't take her to the grocery store with me or anything, but are there lots of parks with in the city? I'm so glad someone on here lives there

Does Charlestown have rentals as well? I was raised in the DC area, so I'm used to rowhouse type of apartments and that sort of thing.

My parents live in the South End, that's a great neighborhood. And they have a Lab, so you'll be in good company. Anything around Tremont is good, there's great little hidden parks over there for the dog. Lots of my friends live in surrounding neighborhoods: Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, Somerville- those are all slowly but surely getting 'gentrified'. Even Southie is turning yuppie.

If you can afford it, Beacon Hill is very nice. You can likely rent a one/two bedroom for anywhere $1200-2000, I was there last year and checked the prices. If I had my way (casting evil eye at Mr. Dean for dragging me to NYC) I'd be back home in a heartbeat. I love Boston.

And as for the drivers, you want bad- go to Providence and zing up and down those one way, one lane streets with the locals. They are crazy drivers, make Boston look tame.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

^^ Thanks, Dean We have a Lab, too

We were looking at places online last night and found Beacon Hill!! Damn! I love it there. It's pretty expensive, but part of the job offer is a relocation package and a per diem, so they will actually pay our rent up to a certain amount a day, and then we pay the rest

My husband is originally from about an hour south of Boston, and he mentioned something about Jamaica Plain being rather nice.

Good luck with your move! I found Boston fairly intimidating, but the people were lovely....but then i'm a country bumpkin from the Scottish highlands
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Hit By Ban Bus!

OT:
    ooo karistiona, I see on Google Earth you're fairly near the Island of Iona... we were studying about that last night in class, and I'm writing a paper about Columcille who migrated there from Ireland with his followers. ONE DAY I am going to visit Scotland and the whole damn British Isles actually

Oops I know Scots are bristly about the British Isles thingy sorry
    Last edited by Mira; February 23rd, 2007 at 08:27 PM.

Historic Boston is amazing, too, if you like that sort of thing. It's so fascinating how some blocks (if they're still there, it's been almost 15 yrs) are all original, it's like stepping back in time.

i never lived in boston but i had a boyfriend who lived there and visited a bunch of times. he lived in jamaica plain and i really loved it. it used to be an immigrant neighbourhood - lots of people from latin america and the caribbean, but also lots of students and young couples/families. there are some great old houses and buildings and it's a neat mix of pupuserias and little neighbourhood shops but also newer additions like cafés and restaurants and stuff. and rents were cheaper. this was about 3-4 years ago so it might have gotten more gentrified in the meantime but it can't have changed all that much.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information