Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Hey, do huntsman spiders routinely drop out of sun visors and into the laps of Australian drivers while they are in traffic? Or is that some overblown urban legend? I read about a year ago that it causes lots of car accidents in Oz.

Also, you guys do have the irukandji. We don't have anything like that here --- yet.
    Yes the huntsmen do like to play peekaboo/jump in traffic - this has never bothered me (because I don't drive) but anyway, huntsman spiders aren't deadly, just big and hairy. I have families of them living in my yard and I spend a good deal of time defending them from bored felines.

And I don't have too many jellyfish living in my letterbox so for now I'll just deal with the redbacks.

eta - posted at the same time as A*O but my experiences with huntsmen usually take place in the driveway before the car has even started, hence no fatalities.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

But I do concede that the irrukandji jellyfish are evil bastards. Tiny (fingernail size), transparent, not always fatal but the pain is so agonising you'll wish you were dead. I saw a couple of marine biologists studying irrukandji get stung and both were writhing around for many hours in hospital. Morphine didn't touch it and they couldn't be sedated because the venom makes your BP go haywire. It took a couple of weeks for them to recover.

This is why you must wear a stinger suit when you visit the Great Barrier Reef.

Novice likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    yeah we have poisonous rattle snakes but they are mostly found in the desert, away from people. You aussies have those gigantor spiders hiding under your cars or in the corners of your living room. *shivers* I would pass out dead if I encountered that shit.
    I was going to do some hiking in NC, and two guys were at the trailhead with a 7 foot long rattler that they'd killed along the trail. I decided I'd rather hike somewhere else that day, although in retrospect, I guess I should have been comforted by knowing where there was one less bigass snake.

And yeah, the spider wouldn't even have to be poisonous. I'd be dead right there.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Yes the huntsmen do like to play peekaboo/jump in traffic - this has never bothered me (because I don't drive) but anyway, huntsman spiders aren't deadly, just big and hairy. I have families of them living in my yard and I spend a good deal of time defending them from bored felines.

And I don't have too many jellyfish living in my letterbox so for now I'll just deal with the redbacks.

eta - posted at the same time as A*O but my experiences with huntsmen usually take place in the driveway before the car has even started, hence no fatalities.

I have questions about two other animals - one I'd only heard about recently. The first is the blue-ringed octopus? Is it that common around the coast of Australia? It sounds like they end up in tidepools and areas that humans are likely to be around. And despite being very small, they are really venomous. The other one is the stonefish, which apparently people can step on accidentally and get venom injected into them. Supposedly, it's so painful that people have asked for an amputation of the affected limb just to get some relief.

I can't say I've ever been stung by a blue ringed octopus (if I had I'd probably be in no position to say it) or stepped on a stonefish but yes, swimming can be hazardous in some parts - however, we do have over 60,000 km of coastline so it's quite possible to find a safe swimming spot. We just have to know when to avoid swimming in certain places but most coasties are aware of the dangerous periods or if there's a mass of some deadly critter heading for the coast they'll send out warnings or have signs at the beach. I've been swimming in our waters for 4 decades + and I've only been stung by bluebottles which hurt when they wrap their tails around your legs but aren't deadly.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Pretty little things aren't they? Probably why people try to pick them up from the rock pools where they lurk. They are certainly down here in Port Phillip Bay, but not sure about further north but I don't think they like tropical waters.

Stonefish are ugly bastards but that's what happens when you evolve to look like a rock! Again, painful but not necessarily deadly.

The thing with many of these "deadly" creatures is that while they pack a painful punch, many of the reported fatalities are of people who are particularly vulnerable or allergic. Bees and peanuts are potentially deadly too if you apply the same criteria.

Bloody Steve Irwin has a lot to answer for scaring the bejeebers out of everyone.
    faithanne likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

Well, this all sounds horrifying.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

hey, Canada has it's share of deadlies too? I wouldn't like to face a riled up or hungry polar or grizzly bear.
    Dame Edna Everage

This is why I loved living in Alaska. No snakes and you can sit on any log you see safely.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Sure, you are eaten alive by midges and mozzies instead. Malaria!!!!!!!
    Dame Edna Everage

I hate when ya'll start talking about killer animals *sniff I'm not gonna sleep tonight
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Most of the comments said we were super nice people! I was glad to read that. I never realized we had an inordinate amount of flags everywhere. You should have seen this place after 911.
    You are, apart from Mel, of course....
    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    So what is the deal with Europe and the lack of ice. Or is it a preference to warm drinks?
    I have to admit that I really don't know. I do know that when I was little & we went to Europe that we took water purification tablets with us but I don't know if that was because we had to or due to the parents caution.
    BTW - those "squatty" toilets, let me just say that they are a godsend when you have food poisoning since you can puke & shit at the same time.... Come on, I was only 8 at the time!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I made Mrs. Mohandas that exact same omelet a few times times last week. But not this week because she squandered all the mushrooms on our Monday spaghetti dinner. Her loss.

The tax thing can be a surprise even to Americans. Some states have no sales tax, and some do.

I find Maryland's tax situation especially infuriating right now, because the sales tax is 6%. It used to be 5% and was really easy to figure out in your head how much tax you would pay on something. And alcohol is taxed at 9% (!!!) That was a recent change that totally sneaked by me -- whoever thought it up should be banished to some barren island. Maryland already runs alcohol sales in certain counties like a communist system. In Montgomery County, you can only buy hard alcohol from a government-owned store. And grocery stores are not allowed to sell any alcohol at all (including beer and wine) in virtually the entire state.
    Our VAT (value added tax) is 20%, but we also have other variable rates (domestic power, food, clothes, tobacco, alcohol, etc etc).... Thank goodness it's generally already added into the price. Interesting animal feed (eg for chickens) is zero-rated but I don't think that per food is... Weird!

Every where has good & bad things or customs that are unfamiliar - it's just how it is. Some times they are seen as big problems, some times as quirks, c'est la vie.
    rocky road likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    hey, Canada has it's share of deadlies too? I wouldn't like to face a riled up or hungry polar or grizzly bear.
    I wouldn't either, but then I've never had to shoo one out of my shower or swat it off my windshield! Never seen either in the flesh. Black bears do wander about from time to time. I've seen maybe three or four in residential areas in my life. I think I prefer them to the giant spiders of terror...

What you really don't want to meet is a moose. Not because they're nasty but because they're huge and strong and can pretty much flatten cars if they decide it's a good idea.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

The ranges of Grizzly and Polar bears are thousands of kilometers away. Not much of a problem near populated centres either. Deer vs car collisions are the big danger around here. Thankfully we don't have moose in this area. Unbelievably huge - and dark so they don't show up at night.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

A*O

My sister (Vancouver Island) is doing battle with the local Bambi-style deer who invade her garden and systematically destroy it. One of them kicked and almost killed sis's dog. All the locals say a cull is required as the numbers are getting out of control but of course the eco'ist greentards block it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information