Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

My only experience with zombies was drinking a couple with my mom at the revolving restaurant on the top of the Twin Towers in 1990 when I was 18. Nice memory and I didn't even hurl.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    brooklyn does a Bastille Day celebration every year, it's the biggest one outside france i think. an entire street closed off to make pétanque courts, etc. it's insane. and you walk around in the blazing heat, drinking pastis and listening to french music and watching dudes play petanque (french bocci ball).
    anyhoo, last summer i was there, drinking, it was blazing hot. decided to go into a bar to cool off. we had zombies. zombies + sun stroke = projectile vomit. not pretty.
    I can't drink outside when it's blazing hot anymore. For one thing, I end up getting some weird pricey rash on my face for about 30 minutes. The other thing is the creeping sick puke feeling I get. It's so bad. I can have a beer or two when it's hot, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Or it was after she woke up in it!!!

= 1 glass for McJaggie!

Aw! Good times! Cheltenham Gold Cup week, on champagne & realising that although it was 4pm & I'd had no alcohol that day, I was still pissed from the night before. So I called the garage, told them I wasn't picking my car up that day, had a bath & went out to the bars again!
    I'm Brit, we have a tradition to uphold!

48 ounces is not one person's drink it's 6 persons' drinks imo. Especially of spirits.
    I agree. I can't imagine drinking one of those, forget about two.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    brooklyn does a Bastille Day celebration every year, it's the biggest one outside france i think. an entire street closed off to make pétanque courts, etc. it's insane. and you walk around in the blazing heat, drinking pastis and listening to french music and watching dudes play petanque (french bocci ball).
    anyhoo, last summer i was there, drinking, it was blazing hot. decided to go into a bar to cool off. we had zombies. zombies + sun stroke = projectile vomit. not pretty.
    Best thing ever to happen to pastis!

I have this weird aversion it that stuff (always have), when I was 18 I worked in a bar & a drop of pastis landed on the back of my hand. Without thinking I stuck it in my mouth (shutup!, I know!) and the guy I was serving howled with laughter when he saw the look on my face. I never did it again!!!!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    My only experience with zombies was drinking a couple with my mom at the revolving restaurant on the top of the Twin Towers in 1990 when I was 18. Nice memory and I didn't even hurl.
    girlfriend, you were wasted. that restaurant didn't revolve, it was you!
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    girlfriend, you were wasted. that restaurant didn't revolve, it was you!

ha ha, seriously??! Memory or lack thereof is a funny thing. Could have sworn it spun me right round baby, right round like a record baby, right round round round....
    Novice, witchcurlgirl and rollo like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

How did I miss this thread? Anyway, this one stuck out at me.

27. keko191
    Wearing shoes in the house… What the fuck are you doing? You step in all nasty shit, for example, if you stepped on a fruit then walked all over your living room then thats how you get ants.

Maybe it's the Filipino culture I grew up in. We never wore our shoes in our house. I think it's an Asian thing. I have friends of various Asian ethnicities and they also removed footwear before entering their household.

Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post

27. keko191
    Wearing shoes in the house… What the fuck are you doing? You step in all nasty shit, for example, if you stepped on a fruit then walked all over your living room then thats how you get ants.

Maybe it's the Filipino culture I grew up in. We never wore our shoes in our house. I think it's an Asian thing. I have friends of various Asian ethnicities and they also removed footwear before entering their household.

My Japanese and Thai relatives are like that.

man, I so agree about tracking shit in. I think there's a study about how the large majority of germs in a household come in that way. I've tried to implement no shoes in the house, but not much luck and I'm outnumbered.

i take my shoes off the minute i get home as a matter of habit. i live with an american though and they're definitely not used to that. it's not just about cleanliness though, it's an old building and we have wood floors and i can hear my neighbours upstairs stomping around in their shoes and i don't want to do that to our neighbours downstairs so i take my shoes off.

eta: the only time i disapprove of the 'shoes off' rule is when people invite you to a party and expect you to take your shoes off and i'm like, bitch, those shoes are part of my outfit. if you have guests over, be prepared to clean the floors the next day but don't make your guests take off their shoes.
    Last edited by sputnik; April 12th, 2014 at 09:12 AM.
    KrisNine and Kittylady like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It seems to be a pretty automatic thing here. If you're coming home to your own house or you're going to spend a casual evening at a friend's house, the shoes come off at the door. If it's an "event" or a party and people are coming and going and wearing "outfits", the shoes would likely stay on. If it's someone's home but you're there for business, shoes likely stay on. Going to real estate open houses, shoes likely come off, but that's mainly because you're trying to keep the place pristine.

I've never asked someone to take their shoes off in my life, and I've never been asked that I can recall - people just know! I certainly wouldn't be offended if someone from another culture left their shoes on in my place. I also keep a slipper basket (in winter aka 6 months of the year) and a flip-flop basket (in summer) for people to use if they like.

(I keep telling myself I won't comment on the shoe thing but it always sucks me in!)
    Novice likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Everyone I know takes their shoes off at the door. I never ask but people see my nice polished foors and the shoes come off voluntarily. It's becoming common here as there's a large Asian population and we like stealing their culture but mostly their food.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I always take my shoes off when I'm at someone's home - even if they tell me I don't really have to. No shoes in my house.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post

27. keko191

We never, ever wear our shoes in our house. I'd say the majority of people we know don't. The exception seems to be older relatives who find it to be too much work to take them on and off.

We don't wear our shoes upstairs in the house (carpeted) but we do downstairs (tiled). I hate the cold, hard tiled floor on my feet. If I'm just relaxing, I wear slippers or flip flops. If I'm cleaning, I'll wear a pair of tennis shoes or something.
    Novice likes this.

I don't wear shoes in my house (I take a shower the minute I get home), but I don't know anyone who does the same around here.

Thread Information