Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Most of the time, we'll split checks evenly since everyone's meal usually evens out. But even if everyone orders something wildly differently priced, we still don't do separate checks, we'll just figure out what everyone owes. Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Right, but the original reference was to a situation where you are in a large group and are coming up a couple hundred dollars short of what's owed on the final bill.
    well those people who leave before and don't leave enough money are just assholes. who does that?

my point is, i think you have to adjust to the local culture. or to the wishes of the majority of the people at the table you're at. and most places i've lived it just wasn't the norm to get separate bills. if you live in a place where separate bills are acceptable then by all means. in austria however it's perfectly normal, and it's waiters who ask you, when someone at the table asks for the bill, if you want it separate or all together, so they're used to it, it's easy and they bring everyone their bill.
    do that in new york or geneva however, and you're an asshole. and i can't stand people who are weird about money and don't get that, like for instance my austrian friend. she's lived in enough places to know local customs vary, she's now in new york and she's making great money, no kids or expenses and she still asks to pay for only exactly what she eats even if it makes for a mess and fucks up how everyone else does it, like it did last time i asked her to join me and some friends for brunch. there must have been 8 of us and we all drank and ate and got pretty drunk and then she asks for separate bills and it's hard enough to get drunk people to do math but i swear everyone wanted to kill her so now i don't ask her out to eat anymore unless it's just the two of us because i know she'll do that every time.
    witchcurlgirl, faithanne and A*O like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

We dont do the separate bills in here and BYO is unheard of and possibly insulting.Although the one gets the bill and pays for all is not so common anymore like it used to be(screw you ,crisis)there are still some such cases..Most of the food we order in here is a shitload of starters,clearly meant to be shared.So,we take what we want,if finished we order more and we dont usually count each and every mouthful..I dont drink at all and i eat very little.I have family and friends who do drink and eat.It never crossed my mind to have them pay for exactly what they consumed..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Sputnik, I think your Austrian friend is cheap. I wouldnt invite her anywhere again either. I have been in situations that were very unfair to me because I drink next to nothing and I would be forced to split a bill and pay 30 EUR or so when I had consumed roughly half that. When dealing with stuff like that I just stop hanging out with those people anymore because it is up to the big drinkers to give the non drinkers a break. In general, I am pro sharing the bill but if I want to order something that will unfairly raise the final bill I pay for that separately and we can share the rest. And ideally, we all pay for our own drinks, ffs.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Sputnik, I think your Austrian friend is cheap. I wouldnt invite her anywhere again either. I have been in situations that were very unfair to me because I drink next to nothing and I would be forced to split a bill and pay 30 EUR or so when I had consumed roughly half that. When dealing with stuff like that I just stop hanging out with those people anymore because it is up to the big drinkers to give the non drinkers a break. In general, I am pro sharing the bill but if I want to order something that will unfairly raise the final bill I pay for that separately and we can share the rest. And ideally, we all pay for our own drinks, ffs.
    exactly. if i'm out for dinner and someone doesn't drink, of course they're not paying for the booze and we'll just split the booze bill evenly amongst the drinkers and add that to what we each pay for food. in fact, it happened a couple of weeks ago that a friend of mine was on antibiotics, came to dinner, we ordered a couple of bottle of wines and we just told her to get the tip and we'd get the bill since that was more or less the price of her share of the food.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That's been me on many occasions (vego who doesn't eat seafood starters and doesn't drink more than a couple of glasses) and I'll round up the price of my main and chuck in extra for tips/drinks, and the rest will split the balance. If I was with a bunch of people ordering cocktails and expecting me to pay - well, why would I be having dinner with arseholes like that?
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^^ because you work with them & couldn't get out if it?

with the drinks thing, we frequently say that we'll
    pay for our own & not put them in the bill & the waiter collects payment at the table. When the bill comes the arsehole who put his drinks on the tab gets the whole group saying "and you needs to pay X to cover your drinks".... Oh, and that was with work too.

i think the one time I was really screwed it was a team members birthday I had no starter a main course & one drink & someone insisted on splitting the bill (everyone else had drinks) to include not only the birthday person (I had no problem with that) but also her boyfriend. So a 10 tab very quickly became something like 25. You can imagine that I was not impressed. One women who had a 3 course meal & wine just looked at the bitch & said "that's hardly fair I don't expect anyone else to pay for my steak & wine" & paid the extra for me .

As you can probably gather I do not consider the people I work with as "friends" but work colleagues.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Half the problem is that restaurant wine is so damned expensive. A reasonable bottle of something that costs, say, $18 in a bottle shop would be at least twice that in a restaurant. So a table of 6 would get one glass each = $6 per glass which is about average for a glass of wine here but sometimes it's much more. I've been asked to pay up to $10 per glass for vin very ordinaire. It's an absolute ripoff and the reason why I love BYO.
    It's one reason I don't often get wine at a restaurant. There's no value-add there; I could literally serve exactly the same thing at home and I know what the bottle should cost! I'm not cheap at all, I'm just thinking to myself, 'I may as well get something I don't already have sitting my cupboard'. So at restaurants, I tend to have a cocktail or draft beer (not bottled, same reason!) just because it's something different. We tend to frequent a lot of micro-breweries and craft brew pubs anyway so I'll get a local draft beer or an interesting cocktail made with regional ingredients. I mean, if I'm in the mood for wine with my meal, I'll get wine - and I'll treat it as an excuse to deliberately try something I might not buy by the bottle - but usually there's just something that holds more appeal for me. And cheap or not, it is a little hard to pay nearly the same amount for the glass that it would cost for the whole bottle...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Do you not have standard measures? If you buy a drink in the UK you are paying for a specific amount, that by law, is displayed (somewhere).
    no standard measurement for liquor going into a drink or how much wine = a glass. it's all a crap shoot depending on the establishment and the bartender. sometimes you get really strong drinks and huge glasses of wine, sometimes the opposite.

I think it might have been a reference to watered-down liquor, where the bartender/restaurant owner is actually cutting costs by secretly padding the size of your drink with some water, which would be hard to catch. A frequent complaint here, LOL....
    agreed. that's why i don't drink liquor drinks usually because it could be watered down or just not much in there to begin with.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Speaking of watered-down drinks, has anyone besides me ever worked at a place where they served soft drinks from the tap? When I was in college, I worked for a few months at a miniature golf course, and we served soda - Coke, Slice, Orange Crush, etc.

And the way the machines worked was that a company would drop off these huge canisters that looked like giant fire extinguishers -- and they were full of syrup. When you connected the syrup canister and poured the soda, the syrup was instantly mixed with soda water to create the drink, and if I remember correctly, you could alter the percentage of syrup vs. soda water. I think places like this are where dishonest bartenders get their start.

Most if not all of the pubs I've ever been to in the UK have coke on draft. When I worked at a pub that's how we made it - syrup & soda water.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Speaking of watered-down drinks, has anyone besides me ever worked at a place where they served soft drinks from the tap? When I was in college, I worked for a few months at a miniature golf course, and we served soda - Coke, Slice, Orange Crush, etc.

And the way the machines worked was that a company would drop off these huge canisters that looked like giant fire extinguishers -- and they were full of syrup. When you connected the syrup canister and poured the soda, the syrup was instantly mixed with soda water to create the drink, and if I remember correctly, you could alter the percentage of syrup vs. soda water. I think places like this are where dishonest bartenders get their start.
    Basically everywhere around here does that. It's usually fine (I guess but I rarely drink carbonated stuff, going by memory & complaints of others) but once in a while you get a batch that's too syrupy with that icky gross extra-sugary taste & with dark drinks, they taste like licorice UGH. Or not enough syrup and they're just blah and weird.

About the check-splitting thing again, diners and buffet places (here) will often split up everyone's tab for them on a single check. These are the kinds of places where you pay at a register before you leave. The group goes up, hands the cashier the check and everyone will tell him/her what they had. "I had the chicken fried steak and a sweet tea." Cashier hits some buttons, tells you your total, you pay, and next person walks up. It may sound tedious but the places that do this are generally super fast about it, and nice too. Tip is left on the table, with everybody chipping in.

We've all probably been left with a much-bigger-than-fair bill at a restaurant. There are definitely assholes who do that. Where I live, it's just really looked down up when a person shorts the group. Maybe it's the SES of the group I've generally known. In nicer restaurants, it's more common to split one check but still, individuals are supposed to pay attention if they had a pricey item and it's considered tacky and inconsiderate not to throw in more $.
    Novice likes this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

fgg

i always split checks (from cheap to expensive restaurants) and have never had an issue. they'll split an amount by # of people or divide it up as to what exactly i ordered.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

We tend to just split the check by the number of people and move on. I hate figuring everything out with tax and tip and all that jazz. I am aware if some didn't drink or ate light or, more likely, I threw back more than my fair share ... then we kick in more. I don't think we've ever had a situation where we were short. in fact, we're usually too buzzed to do math properly, everyone is concerned about being cheap so throws in extra, and the waitress gets a big fat tip because we are too lazy to figure out the overages and divvy it back up.

Come to think of it, my retirement account might be a bit healthier if I drank less when out with friends.

there's no danger of watered down cocktails in new york! especially compared to europe or canada where cocktails are not only retarded expensive, they're also watery shit. me and pretty much every foreigner i know visiting or living in new york can attest to that. and while cocktails aren't cheap in new york, they're not that expensive either and much cheaper than in canada or europe and they're so strong that you get more for your money than if you order wine by the glass, or beer.

Thread Information