Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Is that not a universal thing? Because licensed restaurants are the exception not the rule in my neck of the woods (lots of Thai, Indian, Mexican etc) or they're licensed and BYO.
    There are a lot of places in Yorkshire (Leeds/Bradford) curry houses & the like that are not licensed but that allow you to bring your own in.
    Levitt - it is probably more a Manchester thing that a London thing?
    Free Charmed.

No byob restaurants in Iowa. Would love to have one.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I can't remember if it was all of Ontario, or just a Toronto by-law, but there are BYOWine restaurants somewhere around there. Corkage fees were generally around $20 though. Not at all worth it for me, who probably didn't spend more than $20 on the bottle itself...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Chalet - I'm so used to seeing the drinks bill being more than the food bill, not just with work colleagues but friends too.
    I noticed it the very first time I was with people that drank more than two drinks. I had two close friends who drank a lot (both alcoholics and from a different group) who always paid for their consumption. I want to be social and relaxed but to pay four times as much? I'd probably be the perfect candidate for a separate check but I don't think I've done that since ordering french fries for lunch in fifth grade.

A*O

Half the problem is that restaurant wine is so damned expensive. A reasonable bottle of something that costs, say, $18 in a bottle shop would be at least twice that in a restaurant. So a table of 6 would get one glass each = $6 per glass which is about average for a glass of wine here but sometimes it's much more. I've been asked to pay up to $10 per glass for vin very ordinaire. It's an absolute ripoff and the reason why I love BYO.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

fgg

^i remember getting a glass of wine in vegas that i really liked for $14/glass. i remembered the name of it so i could look for it when i got home and guess how much it was...$10/bottle!!! i usually stick with wine when i'm out because you never know how much liquor you are actually getting so as long as i'm good with the pour size, i'll get as drunk as the number of glasses i want to pay for.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    ^i remember getting a glass of wine in vegas that i really liked for $14/glass. i remembered the name of it so i could look for it when i got home and guess how much it was...$10/bottle!!! i usually stick with wine when i'm out because you never know how much liquor you are actually getting so as long as i'm good with the pour size, i'll get as drunk as the number of glasses i want to pay for.
    On a related note, sometimes it seems like a good way to discover a good, inexpensive wine is to try whatever the restaurant is selling as the house wine by the glass. We usually like it and then go look for the bottle in the store later.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    You're one of those? We just divide by how many we are, I can't deal with the 'well you had a salad but he had a salad and a coke, so he owes $1.50 more than you'.
    same.
    i get it if you're strapped for cash and your friends know it, or if you're just not a drinker and everyone else at the table is ordering cocktails and bottles but those are the exceptions. my friends and i tend to eat/drink the same or we get a lot of food to share and we'll usually start with a cocktail while we wait for our food then order wine with dinner and i assume we all drink around the same but i don't really give a crap and the last thing i'm going to do is count how many cocktails or glasses of wine my friends are having to make sure i'm not being 'ripped off'. going out to dinner is more about the experience and the company and being out, if i wanted to make sure i'm getting exactly what i paid for i'll buy groceries and cook dinner at home.
    A*O likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    same.
    i get it if you're strapped for cash and your friends know it, or if you're just not a drinker and everyone else at the table is ordering cocktails and bottles but those are the exceptions. my friends and i tend to eat/drink the same or we get a lot of food to share and we'll usually start with a cocktail while we wait for our food then order wine with dinner and i assume we all drink around the same but i don't really give a crap and the last thing i'm going to do is count how many cocktails or glasses of wine my friends are having to make sure i'm not being 'ripped off'. going out to dinner is more about the experience and the company and being out, if i wanted to make sure i'm getting exactly what i paid for i'll buy groceries and cook dinner at home.
    Right, but the original reference was to a situation where you are in a large group and are coming up a couple hundred dollars short of what's owed on the final bill. I agree that when you are eating with a small group of friends and there's an understanding, it's very different.

^^^ yep, that was my understanding too.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Do you not have standard measures? If you buy a drink in the UK you are paying for a specific amount, that by law, is displayed (somewhere).
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Half the problem is that restaurant wine is so damned expensive. A reasonable bottle of something that costs, say, $18 in a bottle shop would be at least twice that in a restaurant. So a table of 6 would get one glass each = $6 per glass which is about average for a glass of wine here but sometimes it's much more. I've been asked to pay up to $10 per glass for vin very ordinaire. It's an absolute ripoff and the reason why I love BYO.
    Nah! In our case it's because we're/we were all big drinkers.
    Nights out used to involve a LOT of alcohol, bottles, cocktails, all sorts of stuff. Dinner in Chinese restaurants in particular was always expensive as the drinks bill used to be 300 alone....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Do you not have standard measures? If you buy a drink in the UK you are paying for a specific amount, that by law, is displayed (somewhere).
    I think it might have been a reference to watered-down liquor, where the bartender/restaurant owner is actually cutting costs by secretly padding the size of your drink with some water, which would be hard to catch. A frequent complaint here, LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think it might have been a reference to watered-down liquor, where the bartender/restaurant owner is actually cutting costs by secretly padding the size of your drink with some water, which would be hard to catch. A frequent complaint here, LOL....
    I daresay a bartender in Texas who dared try that would be shot outright.
    Novice likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Drinks in the US always taste stronger to me than our piddly little measures.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Where I am from, it's not a big deal at all to have separate checks. People do it all the time. I seriously can't remember the last time I was with a group and everybody just split it up evenly. Individuals or couples either pay their own or one person pays for everything.

I understand how going out with people repeatedly who have similar eating & drinking habits would be a different matter, and if that's how everyone feels comfortable then by all means. But since I don't do that regularly, I am like fgg & don't want to worry about how my choices impact the bill. By the same token, I am not trying to pay for people who eat or drink a lot more than me, either.

So I guess I'm "one of those"
    levitt, Novice and gas_chick like this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

It's normal here to get separate checks; my friend and I also do it on vacation in Canada. It's easier to keep your own expenses to yourself and vice versa. I've been one of the people left at a restaurant when the big eaters and drinkers went home without leaving enough money - or any. Never again if I can help it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information