Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Ah, separate checks. They won't even do it here if there are more than a few people at the table, and some places won't do them at all. I rarely see anyone ask. We just split the bills, or take turns paying.

There's a different attitude here about money and tabs, when we were in college we started to see that people from outside the area were very different with restaurant or bar bills. It's an immigrant throwback thing we've concluded, many of our cultures are more of the fight you to pick up the bill types. Mediterranean/Levantine culture. If you try to pay they'll hit you

So we have lots of 'I'll get this one, you get the bill the next time'.

A few places that I've been overseas will automatically give you separate checks, even if you are 2 at the table.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

It's becoming rare here too and a lot of places even have signs saying they will not split bills.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Ah, separate checks. They won't even do it here if there are more than a few people at the table, and some places won't do them at all. I rarely see anyone ask. We just split the bills, or take turns paying.

There's a different attitude here about money and tabs, when we were in college we started to see that people from outside the area. It's an immigrant throwback thing we've concluded, many of our cultures are more of the fight you to pick up the bill types. Mediterranean/Levantine culture. If you try to pay they'll hit you

So we have lots of 'I'll get this one, you get the bill the next time'.

A few places that I've been overseas will automatically give you separate checks, even if you are 2 at the table.
    Yup, even out here, I don't think they would put up with more than three couples trying to split the check. And we are pretty flexible about splitting the bill three ways or whatever on one check. However, my discomfort remains with large tables of people I don't know and feeling like some idiot is trying to take advantage of everybody else. With our kids at the ages they are right, now getting out to eat with friends very often is kind of a moot point anyway.

fgg

i'm so late to this thread!

-i love grape soda, velveeta makes THE most amazing au gratin potatoes - don't knock it until you've had mine, i have a wobbly texture issue too, knowing what creepy foods are make me not want to eat them, and cottage cheese & yogurt make me want to vomit but every year or two i attempt it just to make sure.
    -i had foie gras but it didn't do anything for me.
    -A*O's artichoke dip recipe is very similar to mine and it is so super yummy!
    -peanut butter is my fav!
    -i'd probably be able to correctly identify about the same amount of states as the aussies. geography has never been my thing.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Servers hate when big groups come in and ask for separate checks. We're like WCG and just divide it up.
    sputnik likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I think the last 9 out of 10 times I've been out at a restaurant with a bunch of people, some corporate entity has picked up the tab, so I don't really think about it that much.

^ #humblebrag!

I don't like averaging out the bill, unless it's clear we've all spent around the same. I'm on a mega economy drive so there is not a icicle's chance in hell I'm paying extra for someone's steak while I budgeted for a salad.
    cherrypye likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

A*O

People who micro manage bill splitting to the nearest cent get a major side-eye from me. "X had a starter but no wine, and Y had 3 bread rolls but skipped dessert, and Z had a cocktail" Arghhhh I drives me nuts. Unless one person had lobster and champagne just divide the damn bill by the number of diners. Easy. Sure, some people might get better "value for money" but over time it evens out and if you really are that broke either choose a cheaper restaurant, go to a fixed price buffet place or stay home. I absolutely support restaurants who refuse to split bills.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I understand splitting the bill if the parties eating together come from very different financial situations. Which can be the case in big groups of people who don't necessarily know each other that well. If someone's on a really tight budget and ate accordingly, I understand why they wouldn't be ok with averaging it out with someone else who ate a much more expensive meal with drinks, etc. It sucks but it happens, not all friends are going to be able to afford to do that. I have no problem splitting the bill in those cases. Or picking up the bill if it's just me and that friend. Saves the headache.

We usually just split the bill when we go out to dinner with friends. Two exceptions come to mind, one friend who is extremely cheap and the other who gets two $200 bottles of wine (that he says is for the table, but he and his wife drink it all). The cheap friend will always order the cheapest item on the menu and drink water, but still want to indulge in all of the appetizers after everyone else has had their share. He doesn't want to pay for the appetizers, his justification is he ate the last few pieces because they were just going to go in the trash.

In the Persian culture, they'll fight you for the check. Sometimes, my SO will get up to grab a smoke and hand the waiter his credit card before the check even gets to the table. Once, he did that and another of his relatives beat him to it

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Sometimes, my SO will get up to grab a smoke and hand the waiter his credit card before the check even gets to the table. Once, he did that and another of his relatives beat him to it
    We've started doing that with two (couple) friends of ours - they're quite wealthy and generous and they keep kosher so it can be very difficult for us to treat them. We often buy some groceries and cook for them at their place, but the last time we went out together my husband also managed to sneak his credit card to the server on the sly. It's about the only way they'll let us get away with it.
    KrisNine likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I made it clear to my friends that I don't have spare money for the foreseeable, so I've made my financial situation clear. Obviously if we all paid roughly the same, just split it. But maybe I just know a whole bunch of cheeky cunts who spend 30 more than everybody else and are always the first people to say "let's split the bill!"
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I work with a whole bunch of people like that - I had salad & a coke because I wS driving but they had a starter & steak & 2 glasses of wine? Fuck that, I ain't paying for their menu choices. I certainly don't like them enough. Side-eye away A*O, as I know I wasn't the only person that objected to averaging the bill that night. Plus, as I have to drive I get to pay transport costs that they don't have to pay (as they live locally).
    Free Charmed.

I had to change my 'toss in whatever money is requested by the one doing the math at the restaurant' about 10 years ago when I had a small group of friends who drank socially and a lot - well, what I considered a lot and I just didn't feel generous enough to pay for someone else's alcohol. It would be about 8 German lager's for the two guys and other assorted drinks, about 4 per person. We had personal pizza's one night and my portion (divided up between 5 persons) came to $60 dollars. I never saw a bar bill higher than a food bill. I spoke to the biggest drinker on the side and he agreed with me. If we were sharing bottles of wine of course I'd pay but this didn't sit well with me. Would I pay if you had 10 desserts after dinner? Nope.

Here's one for anyone visiting New York City. If you're ordering sandwiches or bagels at a busy deli counter - give your order to the counter person all at once, not one sandwich at a time. They will remember what you said. Don't order like "I'll have a ham and cheese with mustard and lettuce on whole wheat toast" and while they're working on it they ask you "anything else"? don't say "oh, um, yes - an onion bagel with butter". Then when they ask you 'anything else' again - and you tell them another order. Just give the entire order and let the line keep moving. This is when an impatient New Yorker wants to throw themselves on the floor.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    No, we ask the waiter to give us separate checks.

I think the last time we were in a messed-up group situation was years and years ago. There were about a bunch of people at the table. We (Mrs. Mohandas and I) were just starting out and eating within our budget while other people had ordered multiple complicated drinks and appetizers - so, multiple people who had $30-$40 more in meals than us. By the time a friend's fiancee showed up, multiple people had left and underpaid, and the total bill was like $700, and we were a couple hundred short.
    Yep, my friends and I always, always get separate checks. I refuse to pay for your drinks, and your friends' drinks, and your wife's pate, etc. Just not happening.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information