Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

This was a tip thing that really teed me off and it was the first time I had seen it.

It was in December 2000. We were in the Miami Beach area and wanted to pick up a bunch of food from Joe's Stone Crab - which is a hugely popular restaurant there. Rather than wait forever to eat at the restaurant, we decided to get takeout and then bring it back to my BIL's place.

I paid by credit card at the counter, and when I got the slip, it had an entry for me to put a tip. I had never seen that before in what was basically a takeout area. I was so freaked out, I actually did put a small amount down and then left. Maybe the place just has universal credit slips for both the restaurant and takeout area, but I'm not a big fan of tipping someone for something you haven't even had yet, and don't know whether they have effed up.

I tip when I get take out at restaurants, just a couple of bucks though. I don't at fast food restaurants though.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I don't often get take-out, but I just put a line thru the tip area when I do. That way, nobody can fill it in later.
    MohandasKGanja and Beeyotch like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

This does bring up a question, though. People often tip waiters here because they know the waiters get sub minimum hourly wage. But what about people working behind the counter, like at a cash register?

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I tip when I get take out at restaurants, just a couple of bucks though. I don't at fast food restaurants though.
    I tip for take out too. A waiter/staffer has to pack it up, so I give a few bucks.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

The only time I throw money in the communal tip jar, is when I go to some local mom-n-pop place.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Mine tipped me for Xmas. Swear to god, I got a small bag labelled merry Christmas in with my last purchase.
    ours threw in a little holiday special 'sampler' with a few new varieties.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You guys are serious??? Well. Okay then.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Of course we are!
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This was a tip thing that really teed me off and it was the first time I had seen it.

It was in December 2000. We were in the Miami Beach area and wanted to pick up a bunch of food from Joe's Stone Crab - which is a hugely popular restaurant there. Rather than wait forever to eat at the restaurant, we decided to get takeout and then bring it back to my BIL's place.

I paid by credit card at the counter, and when I got the slip, it had an entry for me to put a tip. I had never seen that before in what was basically a takeout area. I was so freaked out, I actually did put a small amount down and then left. Maybe the place just has universal credit slips for both the restaurant and takeout area, but I'm not a big fan of tipping someone for something you haven't even had yet, and don't know whether they have effed up.
    I always tip when I use take out! I figure the food doesn't get packed by itself. If something is missing you call back and complain and get a credit.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't tip on takeout. I mostly get pizza, but even so, if I'm picking it up packing it up is their job and I'm not tipping. Servers get tips because they're paid less than minimum wage, kitchen staff is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I don't tip on takeout. I mostly get pizza, but even so, if I'm picking it up packing it up is their job and I'm not tipping. Servers get tips because they're paid less than minimum wage, kitchen staff is different.
    Pizza,agreed. They don't do much. But I mean-as Mohandas said-a normal eat-in place like Joe's or Chili's. I tip.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think, for me, it depends on the wages to a certain extent. If I know a waiter is getting by on tips, but the other staff is getting paid an hourly rate (out here that would be about $8-10 an hour to start), I'm not as inclined to tip - or would tip a nominal amount. I also think that the waiter has a more stressful job having to run between tables and take multiple orders during that time.

By the way, I hate dealing with tipping in large groups - unless the restaurant is already applying an automatic 15% gratuity to the bill. The problem is that people are so freaking bad at math, that they can't seem to figure out what their own meal cost, plus their portion of the tax and tip.

Nowadays, separate checks help a lot. When I was in college, though, we would get one big bill at the end of the meal, and I had a lot of knucklehead friends and coworkers who only paid in cash and would say that they needed to leave before the rest of the people in the table did. And they usually underpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

By the way, I hate dealing with tipping in large groups - unless the restaurant is already applying an automatic 15% gratuity to the bill. The problem is that people are so freaking bad at math, that they can't seem to figure out what their own meal cost, plus their portion of the tax and tip.
    You're one of those? We just divide by how many we are, I can't deal with the 'well you had a salad but he had a salad and a coke, so he owes $1.50 more than you'.
    CornFlakegrl and sputnik like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    You're one of those? We just divide by how many we are, I can't deal with the 'well you had a salad but he had a salad and a coke, so he owes $1.50 more than you'.
    No, we ask the waiter to give us separate checks.

I think the last time we were in a messed-up group situation was years and years ago. There were about a bunch of people at the table. We (Mrs. Mohandas and I) were just starting out and eating within our budget while other people had ordered multiple complicated drinks and appetizers - so, multiple people who had $30-$40 more in meals than us. By the time a friend's fiancee showed up, multiple people had left and underpaid, and the total bill was like $700, and we were a couple hundred short.
    Brookie likes this.

Thread Information