Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

We have a Cracker Barrel about 30 minutes away from us and we've never ever been. People can not believe it. I really need to get my lazy ass off of this rock and go to the real world for a day.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Oh we love it too. The food is mediocre to poor, imo, but it's heads above McDonald's and the like. It's worth it for the gift shop.

love, love, LOVE Cracker Barrel gift shop... especially at Christmas. Personally, could go my whole life without eating there but I do know people who love it!
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Even I've been in a Cracker Barrel, Shellee! In Kissimmee in fact.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    love, love, LOVE Cracker Barrel gift shop... especially at Christmas. Personally, could go my whole life without eating there but I do know people who love it!
    And their gifty stuff clearance is the shiznit!
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The reason is that you have such a diversity of people traveling along those roads that the best bet for getting a customer is choosing the lowest common denominator type of "cuisine" to draw them in.
    True, and I think travelers on interstates are generally on a mission to just get somewhere and want to know exactly what to expect so they can get back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I love Cracker Barrel!! We use it constanty. Frankly the fun part is seeing what new things they have. And the grits are pefect most of the time. The candy selection-mostly the old fashion stuff. Stocking stuffer wonerland! And tee shirts.
    The restrooms are super clean and it makes a secure roadstop.
    I love CB too. I love the gift shop AND the food. Yum yum yum. If you're not into southern style food then keep going, though.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I 've never been to Cracker Barrel *hangs head in shame*
    SHELLEE likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    True, and I think travelers on interstates are generally on a mission to just get somewhere and want to know exactly what to expect so they can get back on the road.

I love CB too. I love the gift shop AND the food. Yum yum yum. If you're not into southern style food then keep going, though.
    There's something about their dumplings that suckers me in every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I 've never been to Cracker Barrel *hangs head in shame*
    Now I'm curious where Cracker Barrels are. Are they all in the US? Only in the US South? Hmmm.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    Even I've been in a Cracker Barrel, Shellee! In Kissimmee in fact.
    Did you like it?

I love Cracker Barrel! The closest one is about 30/40 minutes from me, though, so haven't been there in years.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post

Now I'm curious where Cracker Barrels are. Are they all in the US? Only in the US South? Hmmm.
    According to Wiki, they started in TN and the south, but they now operate in 42 states.

There is one about an hour from me (here in the north) but I've never visited. I don't know, a Cracker Barrel visit is a southern thing in my mind. Something I do when I'm driving south. Plus, I want a heavily accented woman to give my biscuits and jam not some attitudinal Yankee (of which I am one).
    OrangeSlice likes this.

And and don't forget the 4-way stops! Why you couldn't have roundabouts is just beyond me! I can never get the hang of those damned things!!! Thank god you Americans have manners & wave me out when it's my turn!!!
    We love our 4-way stops in Canada (and really, they're rather brilliant) but out east we have our share of roundabouts as well. Never saw one in Ontario, but they're rather common out here and they're putting in new ones all the time. A*O, I don't really like grocery store bread - it is a little sweet and too soft and mushy - but I bake my own and don't use any sweeteners at all, not even a little sugar to "feed" the yeast. It's not necessary. I also just bought some bread baked in-store at Costco which is sugar/sweetener-free - just whole grains, yeast and water. There's just such a huge difference between packaged, really processed bread and fresh bakery bread, and I imagine it's basically the same here as in the U.S.

Timmy's coffee isn't real coffee, but it is a national institution! I like it okay for what it is, it just isn't anything at all like coffee. I had some Dunkin' Donuts coffee in the states recently and it basically tasted like Timmy's (though I couldn't figure out their cream system), but both countries have our doughnut store coffee and our real coffee as well.
    Last edited by Tati; December 19th, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
    Novice and twitchy2.0 like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I want a White Castle. Whenever we're in Long Beach, NY we take the train to valley stream and gorge the fuck out in those mini burgers. I have some frozen ones at work that I must make tomorrow though not at all the same.
    witchcurlgirl and dexter7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I love Cracker Barrel! The closest one is about 30/40 minutes from me, though, so haven't been there in years.
    is that a long way? I drive that to work each day but my colleague bitched that he has to drive 90 miles to pick up his daughter when in fact the mum meets him half way most weekends. I used to comments that to work each day & can do that before I get home at night. I've done just shy of 20k miles is a year.... All personal mileage .

I thought that Anericans were used to bigger distances & longer commented just due to the scale of things.
    Free Charmed.

is that a long way? I drive that to work each day but my colleague bitched that he has to drive 90 miles to pick up his daughter when in fact the mum meets him half way most weekends. I used to comments that to work each day & can do that before I get home at night. I've done just shy of 20k miles is a year.... All personal mileage .

I thought that Anericans were used to bigger distances & longer commented just due to the scale of things.
    My wife has a one-way commute of 30-45 minutes. I have a one-way commute of about 15-20 minutes. But I have coworkers who have commutes of 1 hour or more, which translates to about 30-40 miles because of the metropolitan area we are in and the traffic that goes along with it. For us, we would probably only go to a restaurant that is within 15 minutes drive. Unless it was a really special place.

Thread Information