Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Cricket commentators don't use auto-correct when they're speaking! (Although they probably should)
    Ah! You've been listening to Freddie? He's quite broad isn't he? I'd do him in a heartbeat tho.... My only cricket crush!

Pshaw! I was a vegetarian when I lived in the US, I didn't starve....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Not true at all.
    It might have been in the context of travelling by car, cross country, on a budget. Limited options.

But either way, glad to know there are fruit and vegetables in the States.

They can say what they want about the Brits (and by extension, Aussies) but Americans eat candy made out of wax. WTF is that all about?
    that's worse than:
    See Marmite. Add cow. A world of no.
    If this were America: We wouldn’t need Bovril, because we have steak.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd try that shit just to say I did but.. I've tried candy corn and fucking hate it too!

Candy corn or some shit. I discovered the world of wax candy right here on GR and I wish I hadn't.
    oh honey, most American's don't eat that shit! And I loathe those "smarties", it tastes like sugary fucking chalk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Did you understand the accent Yanna? I've been there a few times and it's a whole world of wtf when ( especially old men) opens their mouths!!

I love number 10!

10. Why do so many things in the UK NOT taste like peanut butter?

In fact, the ONLY thing in the UK that tastes like peanut butter is peanut butter.

If this were America: Chocolate would taste like peanut butter (and does). Cereal would taste like peanut butter (and does). There’s even a house made of peanut butter in Colorado:
    I think peanut butter is so overrated! The only peanut butter in my house, I try to discourage people from eating because it belongs to my dog! and I've dug my fingers directly from her mouth to the jar to give her bites of it! One day, I walked in and my mom was sitting there eating a peanut butter sandwich and I almost died!
    I couldn't find that old Brit/Aussie/American English thread so this was the closest. I've been noticing a lot of Brits (from the north I think) who say "sat" instead of "sitting" like " I was sat waiting for bus" or "I was sat on couch and he was sat at table". I've seen people say it here and I'm (sat) watching the cricket and the commentator from Lancashire said it 4 times in one sentence.
    and YOU people are the experts on the English language, tut tut.
    Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    I say "I was sat down", but I do use sitting too. Think it just depends. But I would say "I was sat down at the bus stop" or "I was sat at the table".
    *shakes head*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    How fucking difficult is it to just put it on the price tag? It's not about laziness, it's about hiding shit.

I'm yet to travel to the US, but friends have and they said that in amidst all the amazing stuff... the food was just terrible. Fried everything. No veggies or salad. I think I need to diet before I go (so I can pack back on all the kilos)
    well, everyone knows it exists here so how's it "hiding shit"? Your friends are liars. Flat-out, liars! I mean, have you never noticed all the pics on this forum alone of all the celebs at farmer's markets? that's HERE!
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Hmm. I have yet to find a single restaurant that did not have salads or veggies. I would take that with a grain of salt.
    they lied to her, that's all!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Dude, we have entire restaurants dedicated to salads and/or vegetables lol
    Did you friends tell you about the pool on the roof, too?
    Right! Just entire restaurants of veggies... Salad bars. Jason's Deli, Souper Salad, any restaurant there is.
    It might have been in the context of travelling by car, cross country, on a budget. Limited options.

traveling by car, you'd see fresh vegetable stands...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

How fucking difficult is it to just put it on the price tag? It's not about laziness, it's about hiding shit.
    They're not just hiding the tax, they are hiding the price. About half the products in stores out here don't even have a price tag, or a sign with the price on it. I think it's because they are so busy marking the price down, and then back up again. I there should be a law that you get to waltz out of the store with the product for free if you can't find a price on the item. At least stores are starting to provide UPC scanners in the middle of the store so that you can check it yourself before you go to the register.
    Brookie, OrangeSlice and thordis like this.

I'm yet to travel to the US, but friends have and they said that in amidst all the amazing stuff... the food was just terrible.

they're right. not one decent restaurant anywhere in the us.
    Novice likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

I just got back from Canada and my health nazi sister shops at all kinds of organic, whole food stores. She's a runner too but that's another thread. Anyway, the locally grown fresh produce is spectacular I have to say. Cheap and plentiful and amazing variety. But even the most whole grain, seed and "natural" bread is STILL FUCKING SWEET. She can't taste it but I can. Revolting.

Oh and while I'm at it, Tim Horton's "coffee". WTF? And the poutine at Victoria BC's Costco is the best on the planet. Fact.
    Last edited by A*O; December 16th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

If you can't find ONE decent restaurant in 50 states, you've got more goddamn problems than we can solve on GR.
    Mel1973, McJag, Sarzy and 7 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    they're right. not one decent restaurant anywhere in the us.
    You think they're bad, you should see the foreign tourists!

A*O

Ohhhhh now you done riled up the septics Sassiness.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The tourists can be very salty!

and hardly any meat on them.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

well, just keep 'em here for a week and serve 'em all our fried fatty fucking foods!
    then we eat 'em!
    Sarzy, Novice, Laurent and 1 others like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

yeah, maybe if the only places they ate were along the highway then yeah, they probably did stop at a lot of shitty fast food chains.

i've lived in the US for the past almost two years. i've been visiting the US almost yearly since i was a baby. i have noticed a definite improvement in the quality and level of sophistication of food and availability of healthy options over the years. i'm sure there are still places left where you can't find decent coffee or food that wasn't made using cans of soup but for the most part, there are healthy and tasty options pretty much everywhere you go.
    i think your friends needed to do a little research before embarking on their trip, to find healthy options along the way.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Comparing different states in the United States is kind of like comparing different European countries. Knoxville Tennessee is dramatically different from Seattle Washington. The climate, the politics, the topography, the music that is popular, and the food that is popular are pretty much worlds apart.

Driving along the US highway system, what you are going to see are gas stations and fast-food restaurants. The reason is that you have such a diversity of people traveling along those roads that the best bet for getting a customer is choosing the lowest common denominator type of "cuisine" to draw them in.

I love those fruit and veggie stands along the highway. Lawd have mercy! The South is covered in them. You can find it all-peaches,pecans,fresh crowder peas,corn. Most of it picked that very morning. Watermelons that will make you weep. Never pass one that says "boiled peanuts". There are several outside of Tyler,Texas that sell roses,bush or bouquet.
    Amd the people running them are so friendly,share recipes and in general just plain wonderful. If you need help selecting or best way to cook them they will help you with it all.
    OrangeSlice and Butterfly like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information