Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    They're super easy, Kris. Mash spuds, add egg and flour, form into balls and boil until done. Grab a recipe for proportions and don't be afraid to try it. It's my favourite thing to do with leftover mashed potatoes.

Thank you! Another recipe I can use for leftover potatoes that isn't Shepard's pie or perogies.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    They're super easy, Kris. Mash spuds, add egg and flour, form into balls and boil until done. Grab a recipe for proportions and don't be afraid to try it. It's my favourite thing to do with leftover mashed potatoes.
    I'm going to have to try this. I love these things.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    almond milk is yummy. so is coconut milk. and rice milk.
    unflavoured soymilk i can tolerate in tea but it tastes gross mixed with coffee. the vanilla flavoured one or any of the sweetened ones are nasty.

but madeleines have lemon in them, no almonds. i love them.
    Dunno, I've only had madeleines in France and pretty sure they tasted like Amaretto. There was a distinct slight bitterness about them that I hated. According to wikipedia madeleines with lemon zest are a variation. Normally they are made with finely ground almonds.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

my french cousin makes them she told me once they use half sweet and half bitter almonds..i like them and eat them often!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I saw this on twitter and thought it'd post it here.
    10 things Americans find inexplicable about the British - Us Vs Th3m
    CornFlakegrl likes this.

They can say what they want about the Brits (and by extension, Aussies) but Americans eat candy made out of wax. WTF is that all about?
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Wax? Wax??? Earwax? (I'm looking at you, Sput)
    sputnik likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Candy corn or some shit. I discovered the world of wax candy right here on GR and I wish I hadn't.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Dunno, I've only had madeleines in France and pretty sure they tasted like Amaretto. There was a distinct slight bitterness about them that I hated. According to wikipedia madeleines with lemon zest are a variation. Normally they are made with finely ground almonds.
    weird. every madeleine i've ever eaten in france has been the lemon zest variety, never had the almond ones. i probably wouldn't like them. the lemon zest ones are lovely though.
    McJag likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I now wish I'd gotten to try the lemon zest ones. Maybe in the area where I lived (Auvergne) they were not made at all.

Did you understand the accent Yanna? I've been there a few times and it's a whole world of wtf when ( especially old men) opens their mouths!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I saw this on twitter and thought it'd post it here.
    10 things Americans find inexplicable about the British - Us Vs Th3m
    I love number 10!

10. Why do so many things in the UK NOT taste like peanut butter?

In fact, the ONLY thing in the UK that tastes like peanut butter is peanut butter.

If this were America: Chocolate would taste like peanut butter (and does). Cereal would taste like peanut butter (and does). There’s even a house made of peanut butter in Colorado:
    Karistiona likes this.
    Free Charmed.

This is EXACTLY why I know Colorado is my soul state. I love peanut butter and peanut butter flavoured things, that's the saving grace for my waistline that I live in the UK and not the US.

eta: I laughed out loud at #3 on the list...all my American friends got so confused when I asked them if they were alright, haha
    Novice likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Did you understand the accent Yanna? I've been there a few times and it's a whole world of wtf when ( especially old men) opens their mouths!!

Auvergnat accent was a bit of a problem. I think the funniest thing about it was that they have a weird s sound It's a really thick "sh" for s sounds. In the beginning I thought they all had some speech impediment. I also loved how older people called me "Mon choux". I thought Clermont-Ferrand was very ugly but I find myself missing it sometimes.
    Novice likes this.

We have friends in CF too, spent quite a but if time there when I was young, but now I have no idea where! Lol!
    Free Charmed.

My husband's grandma sneaks all of the giblets (guts) into her stuffing so no one under 40 will eat it any more. She likes to dice the liver up and throw it in there too. There's something about the depression mentality with her too. They were farmers and would eat cow brains and "rocky mountain oysters" (cow balls) any time they could.

I did try foie gras once without knowing exactly what it was. It reminded me of chewing on a hunk of bacon fat and I hate bacon. I'll eat anything that grows in the ground except for beets which are the damn devil! Aside from my Nona's meatballs and my mom's meatloaf, I'm essentially a vegetarian so this whole thread has me skeeved out.
    Novice likes this.

Thread Information