Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Amaretto and diet coke tastes just like Dr Pepper, which makes it all too easy for me to drink waaaaaaay too much.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I think that's it!! Thank you. I remember not eating it, but it still reminds me of the holidays. She also made a yummy chocolate cake, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Amaretto and diet coke tastes just like Dr Pepper, which makes it all too easy for me to drink waaaaaaay too much.
    I love Amaretto. Can't explain it, but I love it. Those little cookies are divine.
    Novice likes this.

it's weird but i like the crunchy, airy little italian amaretto cookies but i hate the drink with a passion.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I hate amaretto and anything that tastes like amaretto. Also hate marzipan, madeleines and almond milk... Love almonds, though.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Heathens!!!! Lol!

i guess I'm your exact opposite Yanna, I really like almonds, amaretto, those Italian thingies, etc.
    I've never tried almond milk though, maybe that's my next thing to try? Do I have it alone or in tea/on cereal/etc?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My grandparents used to make this German dessert for Christmas. They also used to make these things called knadels or something like that. Come on all Germans. Help me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Like dumplings with shredded potato and bread? My nana used to make them with a roast. They were so yummy.

Still can't think of what the cake was.

there are potato knoedel and semmelknoedel, semmelknoedel are made with bread.

typical christmas dinner with potato knoedel:

those are semmelknoedel (made with bread):

christmas stollen:

now i'm hungry.
    McJag, KrisNine and Novice like this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    My dad grew up on a farm in Hungary - I guess that's why we ate everything. I lived in a tiny remote little town that was a 100% immigrant population. All the kids were either first generation Canadian or not born here. Everyone brought their culture with them, and we were a little insulated from the outside world because the closest stores and restaurants were a three hour drive away. Nobody "ewwed" what anyone else was eating. People raised rabbits, chickens, pigs and hunted and fished to their hearts' content. Us kids simply didn't know any different.

I just remembered another favourite - fried chicken gizzards! They smelled so good when you cooked them, and you just popped them in your mouth like popcorn. Also, another pig's foot dish - cooked in sauerkraut with potatoes and carrots and eaten with german mustard. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I notice here in Vancouver, pigs feet used to be almost free at the grocery store. Now they run at almost $10 each. It would seem they're getting more popular, not less.

$10?! Even in the T&T supermarkets missbazilb? I know things are ridiculously expensive here but holy
    My mom, bless her soul, would make fried chicken gizzards too! And hearts and liver and...you get the picture.
    I feel like I'm raising the dead if I try cooking them now. Both my parents are long gone so whenever I cook what they used to, it's a very strange feeling.
    I wish I was as adventurous trying unusual things. I've only gone as far as eating sashimi. Octopus and snapper is my favorite. Eel.. won't touch.

As for amaretto, love it. My kids know that I wish to be cremated with a bottle. There's no way I'm going in wherever I'm going when dead sober.

I love Amaretto too and anything almond scented or flavored. Also, almond oil is great for your skin.
    Novice, Tati and thordis like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

even greater for your hair!
    Brookie, twitchy2.0 and Novice like this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Heathens!!!! Lol!

i guess I'm your exact opposite Yanna, I really like almonds, amaretto, those Italian thingies, etc.
    I've never tried almond milk though, maybe that's my next thing to try? Do I have it alone or in tea/on cereal/etc?
    After I finally discovered that I am lactose intolerant and going through life with stabbing gut pain is not a normal thing, I went through a period of trying milk substitutes. Hated soy milk, it really smells bad. Tried almond milk and it was beyond gross to me so now I've settled on Rice milk and Hazelnut milk which taste pretty damn good, actually. I just got it for my cereal and to make chocolate milk. It's good for people doing very low carb diets cause it's extremely low on carbs. Dunno where you can find it. I had bought it in a health food store.
    Novice and Brookie like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I switched to Almond Milk because of family members that are lactose intolerant and because it has a longer shelf life. I really don't have a problem switching between unsweetened soy, almond, or cow's milk at all, like in cereal, recipes, for drinking, etc. I just can't stomach the flavored ones because my mother buys the vanilla almond and soy milk and and it makes me want to hurl.
    Novice likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

almond milk is yummy. so is coconut milk. and rice milk.
    unflavoured soymilk i can tolerate in tea but it tastes gross mixed with coffee. the vanilla flavoured one or any of the sweetened ones are nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I hate amaretto and anything that tastes like amaretto. Also hate marzipan, madeleines and almond milk... Love almonds, though.
    but madeleines have lemon in them, no almonds. i love them.
    McJag likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post

christmas stollen:

now i'm hungry.
    That's what they looked like. Mmmm, yummy. I miss them so much. No one in my family makes them now that my grandmother has passed away.

They're super easy, Kris. Mash spuds, add egg and flour, form into balls and boil until done. Grab a recipe for proportions and don't be afraid to try it. It's my favourite thing to do with leftover mashed potatoes.
    Novice, OrangeSlice and KrisNine like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Really Twitchy? That easy? I might even even manage that & I burn potato cakes which I love but I just can't get it right!

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post

christmas stollen:

now i'm hungry.
    Looks like home to me! <3
    Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    After I finally discovered that I am lactose intolerant and going through life with stabbing gut pain is not a normal thing, I went through a period of trying milk substitutes. Hated soy milk, it really smells bad. Tried almond milk and it was beyond gross to me so now I've settled on Rice milk and Hazelnut milk which taste pretty damn good, actually. I just got it for my cereal and to make chocolate milk. It's good for people doing very low carb diets cause it's extremely low on carbs. Dunno where you can find it. I had bought it in a health food store.
    Oh wow! No that does not feel "normal"! I get IBS with stress (a recent development), and find it hard to tollerate, glad that the alternatives are working for you, I guess I could try a health food shop, I live in a backward rural area so anything that isn't mainstream is difficult to get here...
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information