Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 792
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

  1. #391
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    Cows stomach lining is known as tripe where I come from. Delicious cooked with onion and tomato, a bit like calamari (squid, another Ew no doubt). My mother eats raw tripe soaked in vinegar and there's even a Tripe Club for aficionados in Melbourne.

    But the point is Mo, you thought it was tasty until you found out what it was. It's all in the mind.
    sputnik likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  2. #392
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    32,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm just remembering another food that I tried - although I didn't know what it was until I ate half of it. It was a soup called Mondongo. Nobody in my extended family bothered to say a word about what was in it although they did rhapsodize about how great it was before it was served.

    I remember that instead of meat, there was this gelatinous honeycomb stuff in there. And something that looked like little spinal cords with meat on them. It turns out that the gelatinous stuff was cow stomach.
    tripe. it's pretty common in lots of different cuisines.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  3. #393
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I've had veal brains and love them, can't that different.
    I don't think I would eat anything that was close to the cow's brain or central nervous system at this point. It seems like that's where most of the prions are found.

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Cows stomach lining is known as tripe where I come from. Delicious cooked with onion and tomato, a bit like calamari (squid, another Ew no doubt). My mother eats raw tripe soaked in vinegar and there's even a Tripe Club for aficionados in Melbourne.

    But the point is Mo, you thought it was tasty until you found out what it was. It's all in the mind.
    A*O, the consistency was kind of gooey. It barely held together. I usually think of calamari as being significantly chewier.

  4. #394
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,128

    Default

    ^^^
    i lived in Europe during the worst of the mad cow years and I've passed the incubation period so I'm safe I think!
    plus baby cows haven't been given much of the bad feed that was causing it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  5. #395
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    Ah yes, the great Mad Cow terror. The CJD pandemic that's swept Europe is a worry I agree. Actually, my BILs mother died of CJD recently. It took the docs several weeks to figure out what it was its so rare. Not that they could do anything of course. It was scary and mercifully quick. She was not an offal eater.

    Any Australian who lived in the UK for more than 3 months in the last 20 years (that's a lot of Aussies) is banned from donating blood in case our contaminated corpuscles bring the scourge of Mad Cow disease down under. Then they whine at the shortage of blood donors. Sigh.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  6. #396
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    17,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Cows stomach lining is known as tripe where I come from. Delicious cooked with onion and tomato, a bit like calamari (squid, another Ew no doubt). My mother eats raw tripe soaked in vinegar and there's even a Tripe Club for aficionados in Melbourne.

    But the point is Mo, you thought it was tasty until you found out what it was. It's all in the mind.
    Ma Kitty loves tripe with black pepper, vinegar and bread and butter . She also eats cow heel and is one of those people who, when served any meat on the bone, will either gnaw the bone afterwards to make sure that she's got every scrap of meat off it or boil it up with something else to make sure she gets the most out of it that way. She was a post-war baby born in 1950 and I think I still have her ration book somewhere.

    As far as my being fussy about liver/kidneys etc, I've always been that way since I was a kid. The smell of them has always turned my stomach and I used to dread the days that the local pie shop near my old place was doing batches of steak and kidney pies because the stink made me hurl every morning on my way to work.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  7. #397
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    Ohhhh steak and kidney pudding with real suet. Drool. I love devilled kidneys too but no longer make them as it triggers MrAOs gout.

    And let's not forget bone marrow! Suck that thang bitch.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  8. #398
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    24,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    and do you eat it?

    I've had chitlins/chitterlings. And pigs feet. The french do them beautifully. And of course I'd eat squirrel brains (those must be small though! How many squirrels do you have to kill to get enough to make a dish?). I've had veal brains and love them, can't that different.
    Fuck no!

    But I don't consider myself a picky eater because of it. Even in the south I don't know a ton of people under 40 who still eat shit like this except on a dare.

    I'd be willing to try the French version if it didn't smell like ass.

    In the zombie apocalypse, I'd definitely try any of this shit if it came to down to that or starving.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  9. #399
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,128

    Default

    Have you tried it?

    Call me a food fascist but IMO anyone who says they don't like something they haven't tried yet is a picky eater. Or who tried it as a kid and decided to ban it from their mouths for life as a result. Your tastes change over time and really, high cares what something is as long as it tastes good?
    A*O likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  10. #400
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    i lived in Europe during the worst of the mad cow years and I've passed the incubation period so I'm safe I think!
    plus baby cows haven't been given much of the bad feed that was causing it.
    I keep seeing stuff about this because I donate blood about every three months or so -- so I'm forced to read all the exclusion stuff every time. If you lived in the UK for at least three months between 1980 and 1996, American Red Cross won't let you donate. It also excludes for people living in pretty much every other country in Europe, except Belgium. Pretty wild. I wonder how this is handled in Europe.

  11. #401
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    17,065

    Default

    Tastes do change over the years and there are things I'll eat now that I wouldn't eat as a kid, but I'm not going to try and force down anything that smells so bad to me that I start to gag. Liver and kidneys and the like are staying on my banned list, along with any type of fish.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  12. #402
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I wonder how this is handled in Europe.
    By not caving in to WHO scaremongering and hysteria. Life goes on and people continue not to drop dead because they ate beef 25 years ago.
    sputnik, effie2 and Novice like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  13. #403
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I keep seeing stuff about this because I donate blood about every three months or so -- so I'm forced to read all the exclusion stuff every time. If you lived in the UK for at least three months between 1980 and 1996, American Red Cross won't let you donate. It also excludes for people living in pretty much every other country in Europe, except Belgium. Pretty wild. I wonder how this is handled in Europe.
    I have donated blood twice and no one cared whether I lived in the UK during that time. I got some pretty standard questions. A recent tattoo would have excluded me, though. I think it's dumb that they exclude for that here. We are in desperate need of donors all the time.

    In what sputnik says about people being picky eaters if they won't even try something, I kinda agree. Though there are some things that freak me out enough to never want to eat them. Like cheese with maggots, ok, that's out, I don't care if it is the most amazing thing in the world. Also dog because I just can't imagine it. I would eat horse, though. I have eaten it in France and it didn't bother me. I'd probably feel differently if I'd ever been particularly fond of horses. I've also eaten whale in Norway and I didn't feel bad about it. The whales they hunt are not endangered.

    Tripe is amazing. I just adore it. Here we just boil it as it is and then cover it with vinegar, garlic and optionally chilli pepper flakes. It's crazy good.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

  14. #404
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    21,039

    Default

    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

    - Mark Twain

  15. #405
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    24,163

    Default

    I just run with the idea that anything that makes me wanna vomit when I smell it is probably not gonna make me go "MMMmmm Delicious! when I put it in my mouth". Barring that, yeah I'll at least try something. That's how I find out if I don't like it.

    I definitely have stuff I love now that I wouldn't eat as a kid. But that's a different thing altogether.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. American Family Association to Muslim-Americans: convert or leave
    By buttmunch in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
  2. Jason Mraz posts weird stuff on MySpace
    By mrs.v in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: June 28th, 2007, 07:42 AM
  5. Celebs continue obsession with weird religious stuff
    By SuperHeroTights in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2007, 11:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •