Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Was it this thread or some other thread where a poster said they won't eat white food, like mayo, sour cream, milk, etc? I've run across a few other people like this and it's fascinating. Usually it's men. I have this joke theory in my head that they won't eat foods that remind them of... well, never mind, this is not the place for that.
    jizz. morons. I used to LOATHE sour cream. After pregnancy with Snowflake, I can and have eaten it directly from the little tub... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I can think of 3 guys I know who make terrible faces if somebody even mentions mayonnaise. Like they're gagging and choking. They feel really strongly about it. Kind of a shame, because I think mayo & sour cream are AWESOME. They're missing out.
    mayo and sour cream ARE awesome. amazing how men try and skull fuck you to get you to swallow jizz and THEY can't even taste a little mayo or sour cream out of fear they'll like it? closeted homosexuals are what they sound like to me.
    There is something going around on facebook where people assign numbers to their friends, and the friends tell that number of things about themselves.

A woman I know just posted this as one of her things:
    6. I don’t eat anything that is white…especially mayo, sour cream and cottage cheese…makes me want to throw up if it’s even on my plate.
    just don't "like" any of those damn things! or they'll give you a number.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I have the same issue with texture. I'm sure cottage cheese is delicious, but when I've tried to eat it, it made me gag because of the lumps. Same with tapioca pudding, my attempt at eating the little pearls made me dry heave.
    texture gets me too. don't like tapioca, don't like cottage cheese, NO raw oysters, hate
    this shit. that rice touches my tongue and my asshole tries to escape via my tongue. don't ask... i hate that shit
    Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I used to really like cottage cheese and then I translated a hygiene booklet for a gynaecology practice. Whoever thought that "cottage cheese discharge" was a good description should DIAF. I can't touch the stuff now.

As for my olive phobic aunt, the insanity continues. She is now part owner of a shop that sells traditional products, including olives. She has agreed to carry only sliced olives because she's totally ok with that. Still won't eat them but doesn't freak out. I am thinking it has to do with black olives reminding her of cockroaches, or something.

A*O, lamb brains are delicious with a bit of lemon on top. Yummy stuff. Haven't tried other brains but those are crazy good. Also love tongue and cheek but will not eat eyes. That's where I draw the line.
    yuck, yuck, yuck - *runs away*
    Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Well this thread has put me off food for the morning.
    i'm glad i already ate...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I forgot something I can't stand -- LIVER. I mean, if I had to eat it I would, but it tastes bitter and awful, and it certainly seems like a lot of people here feel the same way I do because Taco Bell doesn't offer "liver tacos", and McDonald's doesn't have "liver McNuggets", and I haven't seen it as one of the 50 toppings you can get on a Domino's pizza.
    Novice likes this.

Well,Mo,liver is a sensitive food,you eat it right away.I either fry it or bake it with lemon.I should eat it,but luckily i love it.The house empties when i make it,windows open and gagging noises for days.
    MohandasKGanja and Brookie like this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I swear I've eaten just about everything. My dad used to use goose liver to thicken a particular soup he made. We would make our own headcheese - boil the pig's head on the stove, use the feet to make soup. I still make that soup and my husband loves it! We used to make fish head soup, my dad would suck the eyes out of the head - reminded me of tapioca pearls! LOL! We used to call tapioca pudding "fish eyes and glue". It made joining my husband's chinese family a lot easier - their shit is tame compared to what we eat. I've tried century eggs, but I'm not a big fan of them. I do eat them at family gatherings, just to be polite. Liver sausage on rye bread - yum! We used to have liver and onions once in awhile, but my mom would bread the liver, which was easier on us kids to eat. My dad used to hunt, so we'd have deer and moose. The best chili I ever had I made from moose meat. I'm a big proponent of "I'll try anything once". If people have been eating it for centuries and it hasn't killed them, then it's not going to kill me to try it.
    sputnik and yanna like this.

I'm a nurse and that whole post almost made me hurl, miss.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I would have starved to death in that house. Oh-em-gee. I have way too many food consistency/texture issues plus mental blocks about certain foods.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Yeah, I was just swallowing a bite of my tuna sandwhich and it almost came back up.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I swear I've eaten just about everything. My dad used to use goose liver to thicken a particular soup he made. We would make our own headcheese - boil the pig's head on the stove, use the feet to make soup. I still make that soup and my husband loves it! We used to make fish head soup, my dad would suck the eyes out of the head - reminded me of tapioca pearls! LOL! We used to call tapioca pudding "fish eyes and glue". It made joining my husband's chinese family a lot easier - their shit is tame compared to what we eat. I've tried century eggs, but I'm not a big fan of them. I do eat them at family gatherings, just to be polite. Liver sausage on rye bread - yum! We used to have liver and onions once in awhile, but my mom would bread the liver, which was easier on us kids to eat. My dad used to hunt, so we'd have deer and moose. The best chili I ever had I made from moose meat. I'm a big proponent of "I'll try anything once". If people have been eating it for centuries and it hasn't killed them, then it's not going to kill me to try it.
    a woman after my own heart! i too will try anything once. i draw the line at insects though. just can't. even though theoretically i'm curious as to what they taste like, i hate bugs and they freak me out so i can't imagine putting them into my mouth. it's not logical, since i've already put living things into my mouth like the parasitic crab that lives in sea urchins in chile, or casu marzu (though i picked out the squirming live maggots and ate just the cheese and maggot poo part), but i draw the line at bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Liver

'nuff said.
    philistine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I also won't eat kidneys, heart, haggis, black pudding or anything else that I consider to be a cat food ingredient instead of real food. The Bloke laughs at me because I won't eat duck, but I think he's disgusting because he'll phone to tell me all about how relaxing it was to feed the ducklings at a pond at one of the sites he works at and then go back to his hotel and have duck for dinner. Mind you this is a man who ate dog in China and yet turns his nose up at the deliciousness of creamy dairy fudge.
    heathen!

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Steak tartare. Not a fan either.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    i do not eat raw stuff,no meat or eggs or milk that is not boiled.I once left a French resto,most of them were eating raw beef and ground meat with a raw egg on top.Supposed to be resto,s super food.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I forgot something I can't stand -- LIVER. I mean, if I had to eat it I would, but it tastes bitter and awful, and it certainly seems like a lot of people here feel the same way I do because Taco Bell doesn't offer "liver tacos", and McDonald's doesn't have "liver McNuggets", and I haven't seen it as one of the 50 toppings you can get on a Domino's pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I'm a nurse and that whole post almost made me hurl, miss.
    I would have starved to death in that house. Oh-em-gee. I have way too many food consistency/texture issues plus mental blocks about certain foods.
    i can't believe how many picky eaters and food pussies are on this board! you're all missing out!

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Yeah, I was just swallowing a bite of my tuna sandwhich and it almost came back up.
    i hope you weren't eating that sandwich with your diddling hand.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love liver and always have, even as a kid. Love haggis, black pudding, white pudding, and game meats. But this?

i've already put living things into my mouth like the parasitic crab that lives in sea urchins in chile, or casu marzu (though i picked out the squirming live maggots and ate just the cheese and maggot poo part)

And I don't think I could handle something like balut or century eggs or anything of the sort.
    Kittylady, OrangeSlice and dexter7 like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I don't even consider that I have food issues, beyond liking food too damn much. I'll try some shit too. Deer and moose are a'okay by me. But that other stuff....headcheese...fish eyeballs!?

No thanks.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Wimp
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

I think it depends largely on the food you ate in childhood. My mother was a child of the Depression/WW2 and they didn't have the luxury of being picky eaters. They ate what was cheap and available. She was lucky to live in the country with lots of farming friends around who provided things that were rationed elsewhere, eggs, butter, fresh meat and produce, etc. They grew veggies in the back yard and kept a pig there too. It wasn't a pet, it was food and they used all of it except the squeak.

So she gave my sis and me the foods she grew up with, liver, kidney, tripe, heart, home grown veggies. She made delicious stews from cheap cuts of meat like brisket, ox tail, etc and made brawn (head cheese?). It all tasted great but the secret was how you cooked it. Old wartime habits died hard so we were expected to eat what was on our plate, no arguments. Like everyone I had likes and dislikes but don't recall gagging and retching at the sight of even the stuff I didn't care for, I still ate it because there wasn't an alternative. I lived to tell the tale and will now eat pretty much anything and everything if necessary, even brains and oysters although I don't particularly like them. My mother certainly wasn't one of those slaves who cook different meals for different kids to accommodate their pickiness.

And not coincidentally IMO, food allergies like killer nuts or onions, garlic, gluten (insert random foodstuff ) were practically unheard of. Throughout my entire school life I NEVER knew anyone who might die if they sniffed a peanut.
    Novice likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Wimp
    Hey we've got plenty of gross food here in the south. I'll airmail you some chitlins, squirrel brains and a jar of pickled pigs feet for Xmas.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

^^^^
    and do you eat it?

I've had chitlins/chitterlings. And pigs feet. The french do them beautifully. And of course I'd eat squirrel brains (those must be small though! How many squirrels do you have to kill to get enough to make a dish?). I've had veal brains and love them, can't that different.

I'm just remembering another food that I tried - although I didn't know what it was until I ate half of it. It was a soup called Mondongo. Nobody in my extended family bothered to say a word about what was in it although they did rhapsodize about how great it was before it was served.

I remember that instead of meat, there was this gelatinous honeycomb stuff in there. And something that looked like little spinal cords with meat on them. It turns out that the gelatinous stuff was cow stomach. And the spinal-looking stuff was pig's feet. The soup, which has a tomatoey base, didn't taste too bad at all, but if you have a problem with textures, or what you are eating in general, this is not the soup for you.

About 4 years ago, I tried cow's tongue for the first time. In principle, it sounded like something really weird to eat, but the flavor of the meat seemed as good as any cut of steak ,and it was as soft as filet mignon. But I was very weirded out by the way it was served. They cut the tongue in cross sections and you could still see like the taste buds on the perimeter of the slices.

Thread Information