Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
Like Tree751Likes

Thread: 30 Non-Americans on normal American stuff they find weird

Coconut flakes are like plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Quite possibly! One of my old cookbooks from the 1880s has a recipe for a processed cheese spread with cheese and butter as the two ingredients. I seem to recall it involved using a mortar and pestle to make it into a paste.
    Now that I want to try!
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I won't eat anything that is either cobalt blue or metallic green.
    MrN's bacon last week was kind of metallic green, so the dog got those bits & she loved them. I did cook them after the human food & washed the pan well afterwards.
    Yes, if I have to look up the color in Google, then I won't eat a food in that color.
    I googled the colour for you I was going to post it (its kind of dark pinky-brown the colour of rare-ish steak...) but I got loads of things that looked like close up photos of nits & it skeeved me out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I have the same issue with texture. I'm sure cottage cheese is delicious, but when I've tried to eat it, it made me gag because of the lumps. Same with tapioca pudding, my attempt at eating the little pearls made me dry heave.
    ditto! I am ok with cottage cheese (-ish, not a big fan) but the tapioca balls etc.. Just no. And wasn't there that craze for balls in the tea? So wrong!
    Free Charmed.

as y'all know, i eat anything so discriminating against delicious food because of colour seems silly to me. there are certain textures i don't like though, especially in sweets. i hate custard, flan, crème brûlée (though i will eat the caramel crust), tapioca, puddings in general don't appeal to me. candied fruits. white chocolate. tiramisù (who the hell wants to eat pudding on top of wet cake?). also the combination of very sweet and very oily like those oily sweet middle eastern and indian nut-based desserts.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    But the one who takes the cake is an aunt of mine. She is insanely afraid of olives. It goes beyond not eating them, if she suspects that you may have olives in your fridge she doesn't want to set foot in your house. She closes her eyes when near the olive counter at the supermarket. If she's at a restaurant her family stresses to the waiters a million times not to bring anything with olives to their table, there are times she's had a full blown panic attack. Didn't help that a few years back her son was hospitalised with a perforated intestine after swallowing a freaking olive pit.
    shit, that must be hard living in greece. i mean, who doesn't have olives in their fridge over there?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I dont,we keep our olives in jars outside the fridge!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I won't eat anything that is either cobalt blue or metallic green.
    No june bugs for you, then
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Now that I want to try!
    It's from the Mrs Beeton's Everyday Cookery and Housekeeping Book - originally from 1865. My edition is from 1881.

"Ingredients. -To every lb. of cheese allow 3 oz. of fresh butter. Mode. - To pound cheese is an economical way of using it if it has become dry; it is exceedingly good spread on bread, and is the best way of eating it for those whose digestion is weak. Cut up the chese into small pieces, and pound it smoothly in a mortar, adding butter in the above proportion. Press it down into a jar, cover with clarified butter, and it will keep for several days. The flavour may be very much increased by adding mixed mustard (about a teaspoonful to every lb.), or cayenne, or pounded mace. Curry powder is also not unfrequently mixed with it."

These days, a food processor would probably do the job quite well. I noticed the recipe because some former owner of the book had left a bookmark at the page and the notation "v. good" in the margin.
    The book also has many useful tips on dealing with your household staff which I obviously find invaluable.
    Novice and CornFlakegrl like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Bread? Rice? Pasta? Potato? I've never heard of this No White stuff before. Could it be the latest trendy fad?
    It's part of several diets actually. South Beach and a few others think white foods are over processed devil worship crap. And some are but not pasta. Pasta was made in Heaven. I'm sure of it.
    sputnik, effie2 and ikmccall like this.

it's so hard to find good help these days.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    ditto! I am ok with cottage cheese (-ish, not a big fan) but the tapioca balls etc.. Just no. And wasn't there that craze for balls in the tea? So wrong!
    Ugh, YES. I have friends who love the vile stuff. The drink part of is actually pretty good, but I will NOT drink it out of the glass with the little nasty black chunky balls. I just can't.
    Novice likes this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I can't do the tapioca (bubble) tea, just can't, that shot was all over Houston and now th ID where I work in Seattle. I love tapioca pudding my mother made but I just cannot handle sucking up tapioca balls through a straw.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Ooh, I like the tapioca tea. Roll those balls around on your tongue for a while, then swallow them whole. Mmmmmmm........ moist.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

Never tried tapioca tea and don't plan to. Sounds like swallowing frog spawn. Mmmmmm
    Lobelia, Novice and Kittylady like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have issues with texture, too, but I'm okay with most of the things you folks have mentioned. I can't stand packaged puddings or custards or Jell-o or cheap Jell-o puddings that you mix with cold milk and whip up, but I like proper cooked hot puddings or custards. Rice pudding, coconut, tiramisu, crème brulée, bread pudding, it's all good. I like cottage cheese, whipped cream, etc. Can't do Cool Whip though.

I assumed I would hate tapioca pearls but I worked at a bubble tea joint and learned to love it. I want to start making it from scratch here at home now that I finally found the raw pearls at a market here. I guess I have fewer issues with texture than I thought.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

There is exactly ONE thing that I've ever tried that I found unpalatable - smoked oysters. I tried it in 1983 at my aunt's house and it was so horrible I scraped it out of my mouth. However, I would still try it again in the off chance that I just had a bad batch.

I always wondered what was in bubble tea. Tapioca, huh? Sounds good.

I have to admit, I would not try Casu Marzu or anything that was living while I ate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Ooh, I like the tapioca tea. Roll those balls around on your tongue for a while, then swallow them whole. Mmmmmmm........ moist.
    I can't even count the ways you grossed me out in just that one post

Thread Information